ADVERTISEMENT

150 years ago this day...

BadLeroyDawg

Pillar of the DawgVent
Oct 28, 2008
Saturday, 6 May 1865

The Union War Department issues orders from Washington, DC, setting up the military commission which will try the eight alleged conspirators accused of assassinating United States President Abraham Lincoln. The commission is to be led by Major General David "Black Dave" Hunter, with Brigadier General Joseph Holt serving as judge advocate.

Confederate President Jefferson Davis, near Sandersville, Georgia, was attempting to get south of points occupied by Union troops. Various Federal cavalry units, now actively pursuing the Confederate leader, scour the countryside day and night.

Union soldiers scout with the 79th US Colored Infantry, from Little Rock--aboard the steamer, Rose Hamilton--to Bayou Meto and Little Bayou, Arkansas.

A Federal expedition travels from Richmond to Staunton and Charlottesville, Virginia, including accepting the surrender of Confederate Major General Thomas L. Rosser's Cavalry at Lexington.

James Harrison Wilson, former aide to Major General George Brinton McClellan during the Maryland Campaign, is appointed to Major General in the Union army.

Have you ever been to Eagle Tavern in Watkinsville? (downtown) Interesting artifacts, etc. but the one thing that really stood out for me............people were SHORT and small back then!

Reactions: Radi Nabulsi
Saturday, 6 May 1865

The Union War Department issues orders from Washington, DC, setting up the military commission which will try the eight alleged conspirators accused of assassinating United States President Abraham Lincoln. The commission is to be led by Major General David "Black Dave" Hunter, with Brigadier General Joseph Holt serving as judge advocate.

Confederate President Jefferson Davis, near Sandersville, Georgia, was attempting to get south of points occupied by Union troops. Various Federal cavalry units, now actively pursuing the Confederate leader, scour the countryside day and night.

Union soldiers scout with the 79th US Colored Infantry, from Little Rock--aboard the steamer, Rose Hamilton--to Bayou Meto and Little Bayou, Arkansas.

A Federal expedition travels from Richmond to Staunton and Charlottesville, Virginia, including accepting the surrender of Confederate Major General Thomas L. Rosser's Cavalry at Lexington.

James Harrison Wilson, former aide to Major General George Brinton McClellan during the Maryland Campaign, is appointed to Major General in the Union army.
Love these posts and love history, especially in regards to the Civil War. I find it fascinating.

Have you ever been to Eagle Tavern in Watkinsville? (downtown) Interesting artifacts, etc. but the one thing that really stood out for me............people were SHORT and small back then!
Have not, but will definitely go; might be starting a Civil War Round Table there soon. Saw your threads yesterday. Bride & I are moving back to Athens where she grew up and parents now reside in Talmadge Terrace (after we sold their home off of Tallassee Rd). I am also a RE Broker, so took your comments to heart. Another thing about people then...they were THIN!

Love these posts and love history, especially in regards to the Civil War. I find it fascinating.
Thanks Dash. We have met some great folks here (both cyber and in person) through the 150 dailies. Winding down mighty fast though...

Thanks Dash. We have met some great folks here (both cyber and in person) through the 150 dailies. Winding down mighty fast though...

Guess I'm so interested in it because where I grew up, it was right along where Sherman drove his soldiers on its march to the sea....Used to find old bullets, etc behind the house all the time.

Saturday, 6 May 1865

Thank you sir for the good read!

<..they were THIN!>

Yes they were! By the way, the "lore" around Watkinsville is when Sherman was headed to Athens to burn down the artillery mfg company, the people of Watkinsville lied and pointed them to Winder. So they burned Winder down and Athens was spared. LOL! I just always thought that a funny story.

Also, UGA was to be in Watkinsville but it was determined by the legislature to be too much of a party town with too many drunks and gypsies roaming the streets, so it was built in Athens.

Have not, but will definitely go; might be starting a Civil War Round Table there soon. Saw your threads yesterday. Bride & I are moving back to Athens where she grew up and parents now reside in Talmadge Terrace (after we sold their home off of Tallassee Rd). I am also a RE Broker, so took your comments to heart. Another thing about people then...they were THIN!

Mmmm - a Watkinsville Round Table - I'll be there

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT