ADVERTISEMENT

150 years ago this day...

BadLeroyDawg

Pillar of the DawgVent
Oct 28, 2008
Thursday, 18 May 1865

A Union expedition moves against the Sioux Indians in the Dakota Territory, where the Yankees rescue a white woman prisoner and her little daughter, who had been purchased from the Cheyenne Indians when they killed her husband. The Federals report the capture of two Sioux Indian chiefs, Two Face and Black Foot.

Skirmishing breaks out with Indians on the Coteau, Minnesota, as a party of Union Indian Scouts with the assistance of some half-breeds attack a war party of Sioux Indians.

Federal troops scout against partisan guerrillas from Lebanon to Warsaw, Missouri.

A skirmish occurs with Indians near Fort Kearny, in the Nebraska Territory, as many Union soldiers receive arrow wounds.

The 25th US Army Corps is ordered to be held in readiness for possible transportation to Texas.

The soldiers of the South now having been paroled are left to find their way home as best they can. Very little help is offered although there are a number of individual stories of former enemies offering transportation and food. Still the vast majority have little to carry them except their legs, and walk they did. Disheartened that their fight for freedom from the Federal Government was lost, and not knowing would await them when they finally did arrive home, they started their long walk home. The following story from one Confederate is typical of their plight. "I belonged to Company E, of the 12th Tennessee Infantry, with which the 22nd and 47th Tennessee Regiments were consolidated. I was paroled on 1 May 1865, near Greensboro, NC. During the negotiations between Generals Johnston and Sherman I ‘picked up’ a very good-looking mule and all the feed I could for him, picturing in my fancy a nice time riding that mule home; but the morning I was to start someone stole my mule, so I walked to an uncle’s sixty or seventy miles away. I learned from men who had belonged to Lee’s army that the Federal government was issuing transportation and rations to paroled soldiers. My uncle carried me back within easy reach of Greensboro, where I would take the train to go home. There I found 'Billy Yanks' every way I looked. Going to the headquarters of the commanding general, I asked for the transportation and rations to paroled soldiers, but was told that they had orders from Washington not to issue any more. I was nearly a thousand miles from home, seventy miles from an acquaintance, and penniless."

Florida is today being placed within the limits of the Department of the South with General Israel Vogdes as commander.

General Vogdes informs General Edward M. McCook at Tallahassee that he cannot and will not "...recognize the so-called Governor, or any officers purporting to act under his orders, as having any authority whatever. Should they not desist from exercising their usurped authority, you will arrest them and send them under guard to this place [Jacksonville]. You can inform the people that they are at liberty to purchase for their own and family use any kind of supplies, not prohibited in the President’s order as contraband goods, at Jacksonville or Fernandina, from any of the authorized dealers. Persons desirous of opening of stores, or continuing trade, will be required to take the prescribed oath of allegiance...Regulations for trade will be published hereafter. It is the intention of the Government to offer all facilities to the loyal population, but at the same time it acknowledges for the present no authority but its own, as expressed through the military authorities. All other organizations claiming to act are usurpations, and if persevered in will lead to the trial and punishment of the parties by military commissions."

Governor Abraham Kurkindolle Allison sends the following dispatch to Mr. David Levy Yulee at Gainesville today: "For reasons unnecessary to detail therein, I have, after mature deliberation, decided that it is not advisable to send commissioners to Washington and have accordingly revoked all the appointments and commissions made for that purpose."

Confederate Colonel John Taylor Wood is at "Cottonwood", the plantation of David Levy Yulee outside of Gainesville. Plans are being made at the plantation to receive Davis’ baggage train which crossed into Florida on 15 May. The train is now being guarded northwest of Gainesville at Captain Martin’s plantation.

Thursday, 18 May 1865

A Union expedition moves against the Sioux Indians in the Dakota Territory, where the Yankees rescue a white woman prisoner and her little daughter, who had been purchased from the Cheyenne Indians when they killed her husband. The Federals report the capture of two Sioux Indian chiefs, Two Face and Black Foot.

Skirmishing breaks out with Indians on the Coteau, Minnesota, as a party of Union Indian Scouts with the assistance of some half-breeds attack a war party of Sioux Indians.

Federal troops scout against partisan guerrillas from Lebanon to Warsaw, Missouri.

A skirmish occurs with Indians near Fort Kearny, in the Nebraska Territory, as many Union soldiers receive arrow wounds.

The 25th US Army Corps is ordered to be held in readiness for possible transportation to Texas.

The soldiers of the South now having been paroled are left to find their way home as best they can. Very little help is offered although there are a number of individual stories of former enemies offering transportation and food. Still the vast majority have little to carry them except their legs, and walk they did. Disheartened that their fight for freedom from the Federal Government was lost, and not knowing would await them when they finally did arrive home, they started their long walk home. The following story from one Confederate is typical of their plight. "I belonged to Company E, of the 12th Tennessee Infantry, with which the 22nd and 47th Tennessee Regiments were consolidated. I was paroled on 1 May 1865, near Greensboro, NC. During the negotiations between Generals Johnston and Sherman I ‘picked up’ a very good-looking mule and all the feed I could for him, picturing in my fancy a nice time riding that mule home; but the morning I was to start someone stole my mule, so I walked to an uncle’s sixty or seventy miles away. I learned from men who had belonged to Lee’s army that the Federal government was issuing transportation and rations to paroled soldiers. My uncle carried me back within easy reach of Greensboro, where I would take the train to go home. There I found 'Billy Yanks' every way I looked. Going to the headquarters of the commanding general, I asked for the transportation and rations to paroled soldiers, but was told that they had orders from Washington not to issue any more. I was nearly a thousand miles from home, seventy miles from an acquaintance, and penniless."

Florida is today being placed within the limits of the Department of the South with General Israel Vogdes as commander.

General Vogdes informs General Edward M. McCook at Tallahassee that he cannot and will not "...recognize the so-called Governor, or any officers purporting to act under his orders, as having any authority whatever. Should they not desist from exercising their usurped authority, you will arrest them and send them under guard to this place [Jacksonville]. You can inform the people that they are at liberty to purchase for their own and family use any kind of supplies, not prohibited in the President’s order as contraband goods, at Jacksonville or Fernandina, from any of the authorized dealers. Persons desirous of opening of stores, or continuing trade, will be required to take the prescribed oath of allegiance...Regulations for trade will be published hereafter. It is the intention of the Government to offer all facilities to the loyal population, but at the same time it acknowledges for the present no authority but its own, as expressed through the military authorities. All other organizations claiming to act are usurpations, and if persevered in will lead to the trial and punishment of the parties by military commissions."

Governor Abraham Kurkindolle Allison sends the following dispatch to Mr. David Levy Yulee at Gainesville today: "For reasons unnecessary to detail therein, I have, after mature deliberation, decided that it is not advisable to send commissioners to Washington and have accordingly revoked all the appointments and commissions made for that purpose."

Confederate Colonel John Taylor Wood is at "Cottonwood", the plantation of David Levy Yulee outside of Gainesville. Plans are being made at the plantation to receive Davis’ baggage train which crossed into Florida on 15 May. The train is now being guarded northwest of Gainesville at Captain Martin’s plantation.

Thank you sir for the good read!

Said it like it wasn't a big deal

For these boys, it wasn't. Even without adequate rations. During Jackson's 1862 Valley campaign, the Stonewall Brigade averaged a daily 14 plus mile hike and fought five major battles in a month and a half. And never lost one against three different Union armies, all larger than their own. Jackson's force of almost 17,000 marched and fought against a combined force of well over 50,000 under Fremont, Banks and McDowell.

Can you imagine walking 1000 miles to get home. and you knw none of our boys were in very good shape. The infrastructure of the South had been destroyed. And walk home they did - thousands of them. One of Bad Leroys friends found a diary in his old family's home attic that chronicles such a trip, along with many other Civil War perils. Amazing stuff.

Can you imagine walking 1000 miles to get home. and you knw none of our boys were in very good shape. The infrastructure of the South had been destroyed. And walk home they did - thousands of them. One of Bad Leroys friends found a diary in his old family's home attic that chronicles such a trip, along with many other Civil War perils. Amazing stuff.

It is awe inspiring to think it happened; an entire region of the country risked all to save the Constitution as the Founding Fathers originally intended it. Won the first battle, the last battle, and most in between...all without adequate supplies and equipment. And against overwhelming numbers.

Grant will quit tomorrow at Spotsylvania--a year prior on 19 May 1864--outnumbering Lee over 2 to 1, after promising Lincoln: "I propose to fight it out on this line, if it takes all summer..." leaving behind 18,000 more Yankee casualties in his grisly Overland Campaign. In less than three weeks Grant had lost more than 33,000 men, with some of the worst fighting yet to come. At Cold Harbor, where over 7000 Bluecoats fall in only 15 minutes...

Last edited:
For these boys, it wasn't. Even without adequate rations. During Jackson's 1862 Valley campaign, the Stonewall Brigade averaged a daily 14 plus mile hike and fought five major battles in a month and a half. And never lost one against three different Union armies, all larger than their own. Jackson's force of almost 17,000 marched and fought against a combined force of well over 50,000 under Fremont, Banks and McDowell.
Unreal. Just can't wrap my head around it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT