ADVERTISEMENT

A look OOC

Luckyspear

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
May 10, 2008
I took a look at OOC performances around NCAAF. I used the playoff committee’s top 25 and checked their losses, giving credit to the OOC teams who beat them.

SEC
Pros:
- Unranked MSST beat #21 ARI by the same score #7 WASH did
- #14 MIZZ beat #25 KSU by the same margin as #7 TEX
- #9 MISS beat #23 Tulane

Cons:
- #8 BAMA lost to #7 TEX
- #19 LSU lost to #4 FSU

Notes:
- The top of the SEC hasn’t been thoroughly tested and hasn’t responded well when given the chance. The bottom-middle of the conference still shows the depth that makes the conference elite though.

PAC 12
Pros:
- #7 Tex beat #8 Bama on the road by two scores

Cons:
- #15 OK ST lost to #22 Iowa and to unranked (middle of the Sun Belt) S Bama (by 26 points)
- #25 KSU lost to #14 MIZZ

Notes:
The Big 12 has flashed big potential big are extraordinarily erratic and inconsistent. That problem is exacerbated by the fact that their sole claim to fane is catching Bama on their heels as Bama’s QB melted and did it with their top team. Are they a house of cards, a poorly disciplined puncher who can put you out, or a little of both?

Big 10
Pros:
- #22 Iowa beat #15 OK St (but who also got killed by a middle tier Sun Belt team)
- #1 OSU beat #20 ND on the last play of the game

Cons:
- None

Notes:
Their “pro” notes read more like red flags and they play a weak OOC schedule. Still, the SEC has a weak OCC schedule and there’s evidence of how they’ll respond to real challenges when it matters. Wait and see like the SEC.

ACC
Pros:
- #4 FSU beat #19 LSU in a season opener
- #23 LOU and unranked Clemson beat ND more decisively than #1 OSU

Cons:
- None

Notes:
I don’t remember the ACC being this strong in a long time. They are demonstrating power at the top AND depth. The question marks in the SEC and Big 10 are their big threats but they’ve already an argument for a playoff spot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News