ADVERTISEMENT

American justice?

I'm going to help you out here: You can't provide what I'm asking because Bragg has yet to do so.

Is that weird? Yes.

Should that have already been revealed? Yes.

Has this ever happened before? No.

This is a circus.

3 theories presented to the court as "intent to commit other crimes":
1: state election law violations
2: state income tax violations
3: FEC violations

A fourth was thrown out.

You've probably seen this already.

Case law appears to support 1 and 3 above. 2 is weak I will agree.

3 theories presented to the court as "intent to commit other crimes":
1: state election law violations
2: state income tax violations
3: FEC violations

A fourth was thrown out.

You've probably seen this already.

Case law appears to support 1 and 3 above. 2 is weak I will agree.

"Theories". Exactly. I'm asking a specific question that you can't answer.

As I said, you can't provide it because Bragg has yet to do so.

"Theories". Exactly. I'm asking a specific question that you can't answer.

As I said, you can't provide it because Bragg has yet to do so.
Page 12 of that document I linked provides greater detail to the theories and ties them to the case facts with references to specific charges presented to the grand jury.

I'm not sure what else you are looking for.

Trump is denied his right of confrontation bc Bragg hasn't spelled out the actual crime. He's also denied his right to defend himself when Merchan refused to let him call as a witness the former head of the FEC to testify no campaign finance violation occurred. Then, the clown denies a mistrial when the hooker defied his instructions and contradicted her prior statements and testified about things that had nothing to do with the trial.

This travesty makes Jim Crow era prosecutions of innocent blacks look tame.
Also bragg leaked the grand jury indictments, which is a class d felony in ny. Also defense is not getting the witnesses till the day before they testify.

not in this case...

There is assertion he violated NY law, specifically 17-152 (conspiring to promote or prevent election; a misdemeanor for which the statute of limitations has run). False records in and of itself is a misdemeanor but when paired with another crime that's how you get the upgraded charge.

Now...it really is up to Bragg and his team to paint that picture and that trump knowingly was involved in the scheme.

Been following this and doing my best to remain as objective as possible and skeptical of the DAs case, but I think the only element they have yet to lay out for the jury is trump's acting on the conspiracy to commit the election interference. That is where Cohen comes in. Can he lay that out? 🤷‍♂️

I'm going to help you out here: You can't provide what I'm asking because Bragg has yet to do so.

Is that weird? Yes.

Should that have already been revealed? Yes.

Has this ever happened before? No.

This is a circus.
Would you think it’s because there is no crime?

Would you think it’s because there is no crime?
We are beating a dead horse. It's been laid out in the indictment, the bill of particulars, pretrial motions, hearings and opening statements. Specific criminal statutes linked to each alleged offense.

This "what other crimes did he commit?"/"there's no crime" bit is played out. He doesn't have to commit the crime...only intend to commit the crime.

You may not like it. That's fine. But that's what the law says. And that's what the indictment says. Case law provided to the court thru this process supports the position. Millions....MILLIONS of doc have been provided to defense to support the allegations. If they didn't read them that's on them.

If the actual court docs I provided don't answer the question I don't think you will ever find what you are looking for.

We are beating a dead horse. It's been laid out in the indictment, the bill of particulars, pretrial motions, hearings and opening statements. Specific criminal statutes linked to each alleged offense.

This "what other crimes did he commit?"/"there's no crime" bit is played out. He doesn't have to commit the crime...only intend to commit the crime.

You may not like it. That's fine. But that's what the law says. And that's what the indictment says. Case law provided to the court thru this process supports the position. Millions....MILLIONS of doc have been provided to defense to support the allegations. If they didn't read them that's on them.

If the actual court docs I provided don't answer the question I don't think you will ever find what you are looking for.
Don’t think the court docs answers anyone’s questions especially the defense and the American people.

Don’t think the court docs answers anyone’s questions especially the defense and the American people.
If I'm being honest, I dont really care what the American people think about the case...their opinions/questions really don't matter. Only those of the 12 people in the jury box. They will render final judgement here and I will accept it.

But...

We cannot sit here and say there is "no other crime" when Cohen was found guilty of a crime in connection to these exact payments (that's a verifiable fact and court+jail records/admissions to crimes by cohen support that).

If Bragg can convince the jury Trumps actions to falsify business records were to conceal Cohen's crime (beyond a reasonable doubt), that checks the box for the felony charge (falsifying business records to conceal/aid Cohens campaign contributions violations even if they are federal crimes). This is supported by case law in similar NY cases involving false business records in the first degree and non-NY "other crimes" (cited by prosecutors already) and crimes not committed by the defendant but by others.

Trump may not have committed "other crimes", but saying "no other crimes occurred" or saying "defense hasn't been told of the other crimes" is being deliberately obtuse at this point and is not supported by the record I have read and provided. They don't have to be trump's crimes. They don't have to be state crimes or crimes actually committed. Only "intent to commit/conceal other crimes". Some may not like it...but case law appears to support it and has been argued in this case already...in court...with defense counsel present.

Is it novel? Sure...it's crimes on crimes on crimes to a to a point I feel like I'm watching Inception for the first time...

Is it shady? Not in the slightest in my opinion because it has been used against people other than trump in the past (see: supporting case law).

Will it work? 🤷‍♂️

If I'm being honest, I dont really care what the American people think about the case...their opinions/questions really don't matter. Only those of the 12 people in the jury box. They will render final judgement here and I will accept it.

But...

We cannot sit here and say there is "no other crime" when Cohen was found guilty of a crime in connection to these exact payments (that's a verifiable fact and court+jail records/admissions to crimes by cohen support that).

If Bragg can convince the jury Trumps actions to falsify business records were to conceal Cohen's crime (beyond a reasonable doubt), that checks the box for the felony charge (falsifying business records to conceal/aid Cohens campaign contributions violations even if they are federal crimes). This is supported by case law in similar NY cases involving false business records in the first degree and non-NY "other crimes" (cited by prosecutors already) and crimes not committed by the defendant but by others.

Trump may not have committed "other crimes", but saying "no other crimes occurred" or saying "defense hasn't been told of the other crimes" is being deliberately obtuse at this point and is not supported by the record I have read and provided. They don't have to be trump's crimes. They don't have to be state crimes or crimes actually committed. Only "intent to commit/conceal other crimes". Some may not like it...but case law appears to support it and has been argued in this case already...in court...with defense counsel present.

Is it novel? Sure...it's crimes on crimes on crimes to a to a point I feel like I'm watching Inception for the first time...

Is it shady? Not in the slightest in my opinion because it has been used against people other than trump in the past (see: supporting case law).

Will it work? 🤷‍♂️e
The American people will have the final say in all of this mess come November.

Reactions: oldmandawg
You just confirmed the dim strategy. Convicted felon DJT. But it's all bs, and common sense Americans see it for what it is.
Call it dirty pool all you want to, but Dems didn't:

Make trump sleep with stormy
Make trump run for president
Make trump coordinate catch and kill strategy with pecker
Make Cohen pay stormy
Make Cohen commit FEC violations
Make payments to Cohen for a retainer that didn't exist
Make false entries into business records
Make coordinated decisions with pecker, Cohen, and others to conspire/conceal all this to influence an election

...but sure....blame Biden and his DOJ for trump's legal woes.

Common sense tells me only person to blame is trump.

And if trump is convicted they can celebrate the fact they voted for a convicted felon...
The American people have common sense and can see through what the radical Democrats are up to. They know the Democratic Party stands for lies and trying to destroy your political opponents anyway they can. It’s all about power and politics.

Page 12 of that document I linked provides greater detail to the theories and ties them to the case facts with references to specific charges presented to the grand jury.

I'm not sure what else you are looking for.

Let me be as clear as I can, because I think you're misunderstanding some key aspects here. Unfortunately this means I have to get "wordy" and repeat myself on some things I've already posted on this subject:

The prosecutors are framing the trial as a “conspiracy” case – specifically, a conspiracy to steal the 2016 election. In the prosecution's opening statement, the DA said to the jury, “This case is about a criminal conspiracy and coverup.”

However, the grand jury did not charge Trump with conspiracy, and it is not a crime to suppress politically damaging information, so it could not be a conspiracy to do so.

The crime of conspiracy is not charged in the case. What is, are 34 counts of falsifying business records. That offense is normally a misdemeanor, but Bragg enhanced it into 34 felonies by claiming that, in making false bookkeeping entries, Trump fraudulently intended to cover up another crime. Nowhere in the indictment does the grand jury allege that this crime was a conspiracy. To be clear:

1. There is no conspiracy charge in the indictment

2. There is no such conspiracy statute in New York law

3. Bragg has no authority to enforce federal campaign law. The statute actually charged in the indictment gives him no such authority under New York constitutional law

4. As to what you previously provided in this thread, that wasn't the indictment. That wasn't "presented to the Grand Jury." It was simply the judge's decision on a number of motions. It does not provide what "other crime" Trump is accused of, to elevate a misdemeanor to a felony. As I said previously, you can't provide what I asked for because Bragg has not provided it.

5. What Bragg has attempted to do is alter the grand jury’s indictment with his own “statement of facts” which is a document he drafted and published in conjunction with the unsealing of the indictment, as if it were part of the indictment. It is not.

** Bragg’s “statement of facts” does not use the word “conspiracy.” He uses “scheme" because suppressing politically damaging information is not a crime and therefore it cannot be the objective of a conspiracy.

** He uses the word scheme because of its "bad" connotation. In fact, the agreement between Trump, Pecker, and Cohen was not illegal, even if Bragg calls it a “scheme” and the prosecutor calls it a “conspiracy.” The NDAs used as a means to suppress information were a lawful contract, not a crime.

** Bragg is trying to convict Trump of conspiracy without having charged Trump with conspiracy. He has injected into the case federal campaign-finance law he has no jurisdiction to enforce

** The statement of facts makes only an allusion to Trump’s involvement in a “scheme” in which participants “violated election laws” (not otherwise specified); and it alleges that the payment of hush money by Cohen, was “illegal” because Cohen has “since pleaded guilty to making an illegal campaign contribution.”

** However, Bragg avoided specifying the statute to which Cohen had pled guilty, which was a federal statute that the state prosecutor has no authority to enforce.

** Regardless, there is zero evidentiary value in what Bragg touts as Cohen’s admission of guilt to federal campaign-finance felonies ---> Which Cohen made while trying to sell himself to the Justice Department as a cooperator, hoping for leniency in an unrelated federal fraud case.

6. Even if assume that Trump is guilty of 'falsification of business records' it does not render Cohen’s payment to Daniels “illegal.” NDAs are perfectly legal

7. Under the Fifth Amendment (which has been held to apply to the states), “No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury.”

** This requires a felony charge to be spelled out in an indictment whose criminal elements have been established by probable cause to the satisfaction of a grand jury

** The problem is not just that there is no indication the grand jury was presented with an election-theft conspiracy offense; there is no such conspiracy crime in New York penal law. As a state prosecutor, Bragg has no jurisdiction to enforce federal law which Congress vested “exclusive” criminal- and civil-enforcement authority, in the Justice Department and the Federal Election Commission.

** The grand jury indicted Trump for falsifying business records, not criminal conspiracy. Bragg’s statement of facts is not part of the indictment; yet he has used it to modify the indictment as if Trump were charged with criminal conspiracy. That’s not allowed. The charges must be stated with specificity in the indictment.

7. So, Trump is charged not with a conspiracy but with 34 felony violations of a New York statute that makes it a crime to falsify business records with the fraudulent intent to conceal “another crime.”

** What other crime? The penal statute in question doesn’t say. That’s a big problem because New York State’s constitution mandates that a statute must spell out any statutory terms it is incorporating. Under Article III, §16, of the state constitution, incorporation by reference is not permitted.

** To be more specific, Trump is charged under §175.10 of the state penal law with “falsifying business records in the first degree.”

** Under Article III, §16 of the New York Constitution:

No act shall be passed which shall provide that any existing law, or any part thereof, shall be made or deemed a part of said act, or which shall enact that any existing law, or part thereof, shall be applicable, except by inserting it in such act.

This is a due process provision meant to prevent exactly what Bragg has done here: force a defendant to go to trial without being put on notice of the charge.

** Article III, §16, mandates that if a prosecutor is to be enabled by a penal statute to enforce another law, including federal law, the conduct proscribed by that other law, or at very least the citation of that other law, must be spelled out in the penal statute. A penal statute may not just vaguely incorporate “another crime” by reference and leave everyone guessing about what that other crime might be – i.e., what conduct it proscribes, or at least where in law it is codified.

** Therefore, If the New York legislature meant to give state prosecutors authority to enforce federal campaign law, then to be in compliance with the New York constitution they had to do it expressly — by expressly describing the specific conduct that they were purporting to criminalize, or by at least referring to the specific provisions of federal law they were purporting to authorize for state prosecution.

** Not only would that have put the public on notice that a state prosecutor might try to use the state business-records crimes to reach campaign-finance activity in federal elections; it would also have given the federal government notice so that it could object.

** As I’ve provided before, Congress gave the Justice Department and the FEC exclusive enforcement authority over federal campaign law to ensure uniform application nationally. To allow any local prosecutor in the country, despite having no federal jurisdiction, to implicate these laws and impose his own version of them is the antithesis of what Congress intended.

8. To summarize a bit: Bragg’s prosecution violates the U.S. Constitution because he is trying Trump on a crime that is not charged in the indictment and is not even a New York crime.

Bragg’s prosecution also violates the New York constitution because the felony business-records-falsification statute he invokes fails to spell out, expressly and with specificity, the “other crimes” that trigger it and fails to spell out whether the state legislature intended to empower state prosecutors to enforce federal campaign law.

6. Even if Bragg arguably had jurisdiction to enforce federal campaign law – the so-called hush-money payments charged (based on lawful NDAs) were not campaign expenditures for which that law mandated disclosure

some probably wont or wouldnt, but i appreciate a lengthy response and have spent time reviewing the articles you sent. i appreciate perspectives that differ from mine even if i dont agree with them. brief answers.
correct there is no conspiracy charge; that also doesnt have to be outlined in the indictment. "Where an intent to commit or conceal another crime is an element of an offense, the People need not prove intent to commit or conceal a particular crime; thus, the indictment need not identify any particular crime that the defendant intended to commit or conceal, and defendant is not entitled to such information in a bill of particulars. See People v. Mackey,49 N.Y.24 274,27779 (1980)."

this law does exist; this article states that it is not applicable in this case. the assertion that it is intended for only state elections is false as the first part of that code section clearly states it applies to elections for federal offices as well. the conspiracy to influence the election has to be done through unlawful means to qualify. he is not charged here because i believe you need 2 people to be charged in order to pursue a conspiracy case...one cant conspire with themselves. but 'intent to commit' still applies.

correct he cant enforce; he is not enforcing federal campaign finance law contrary to what some are saying; he is asserting an intent to commit that crime; that is sufficient and supported by case law (even if the intended crimes are out of state/federal crimes; supported by case law).

4. As to what you previously provided in this thread, that wasn't the indictment. That wasn't "presented to the Grand Jury." It was simply the judge's decision on a number of motions. It does not provide what "other crime" Trump is accused of, to elevate a misdemeanor to a felony. As I said previously, you can't provide what I asked for because Bragg has not provided it.
correct on the contents provided; but "other crime" is not required to be provided in the indictment; that is supported by case law cited in #1; Bragg provided summary in bill of particulars when asked by defendant to produce, even though he had no legal obligation to do so under the law. Trump is not charged with anything but the indicted offenses of falsifying business records in the first degree (with intent to commit other crimes)

5. What Bragg has attempted to do is alter the grand jury’s indictment with his own “statement of facts” which is a document he drafted and published in conjunction with the unsealing of the indictment, as if it were part of the indictment. It is not.
i have a hard time believing that evidence was presented to a grand jury and that bragg then just made up his own 'statement of facts' and the grand jury is not aware of said facts. maybe i am reading this wrong...apologies if so.

RE: "scheme" - the only scheme i see referenced in the statement of facts is defined as the catch and kill scheme; nothing about conspiracy.

6. Even if assume that Trump is guilty of 'falsification of business records' it does not render Cohen’s payment to Daniels “illegal.” NDAs are perfectly legal
correct on legality; NDAs are perfectly legal. but, why involve cohen or AMI here? something doesnt add up if trump could have just paid it directly with no consequences. why log it in company ledgers? why go thru the trouble?

7 is answered in 1 and 3.

8. To summarize a bit: Bragg’s prosecution violates the U.S. Constitution because he is trying Trump on a crime that is not charged in the indictment and is not even a New York crime.

Bragg’s prosecution also violates the New York constitution because the felony business-records-falsification statute he invokes fails to spell out, expressly and with specificity, the “other crimes” that trigger it and fails to spell out whether the state legislature intended to empower state prosecutors to enforce federal campaign law.
this summary is not my understanding of what is being presented.

i think confusion lies in that some think bragg is trying to enforce FEC laws, when all he has to do is show 'intent to commit FEC crimes' (other crimes). he hasnt charged trump with FEC violations (lacks jurisdiction) or conspiracy to influence election through unlawful means (lacks standing due to statute of limitations and single party defendant). but...falsifying business records to conceal intent to commit these crimes, whether they happened or not, is the play bragg is making. its unique, but appears to follow the letter of the law and is supported by case law in NY for over 40 years in some cases.

And if trump is convicted they can celebrate the fact they voted for a convicted felon...
Which is partially why Trump is the lesser of 2 evils. The commies are hoping the Americans are just as dumb now as they were 4 years ago when they picked Biden because he wasnt a mean tweeter.

You're incorrect and either not reading or misinterpreting the references. I've already covered everything you've brought up.

So, I'm not interested in continuing to repeat myself when I've already covered what you're arguing. But, I'm going to repeat myself one more time in multiple areas.

Additionally, this is a widely criticized trial (on all "sides") by legal experts, for many of the same reasons I'm listing here. No conspiracy is charged against Trump in the indictment, and there is no conspiracy statute in New York law that criminalizes a “secret plot” to help a candidate suppress politically damaging information:

correct there is no conspiracy charge; that also doesnt have to be outlined in the indictment. "Where an intent to commit or conceal another crime is an element of an offense, the People need not prove intent to commit or conceal a particular crime; thus, the indictment need not identify any particular crime that the defendant intended to commit or conceal, and defendant is not entitled to such information in a bill of particulars. See People v. Mackey,49 N.Y.24 274,27779 (1980)."

The case you cited is irrelevant and not at all applicable. That case was already a felony for other crimes in the indictment. The crimes that they were "not identifying" and cited as intended to commit or conceal only had to be misdemeanors (and those listed in the decision as examples were misdemeanors). Did you read the full text of the decision in that case?

The entire point here is that Trump's 34 counts are misdemeanors without a felony & that felony was not identified in the indictment, as required.

New York State’s constitution mandates that a statute must spell out any statutory terms it is incorporating. Under Article III, §16, of the state constitution, incorporation by reference is not permitted.

Article III, §16, mandates that if a prosecutor is to be enabled by a penal statute to enforce another law, including federal law, the conduct proscribed by that other law, or at very least the citation of that other law, must be spelled out in the penal statute. A penal statute may not just vaguely incorporate “another crime” by reference and leave everyone guessing about what that other crime might be – i.e., what conduct it proscribes, or at least where in law it is codified.

Other New York provisions elucidate this point.

For example, Article III of the state constitution also provides, in §22, that “notwithstanding . . . any other provision of this constitution,” the legislature, in defining the “income” on which taxes may be imposed, may refer “to any other provision of the laws of the United States.” That is, the drafters of the state constitution understood the need to expressly refer to federal law and expressly grant the legislature authority to incorporate federal law, for the specific and narrow purpose of defining taxable income. Otherwise, they would have run afoul of the principle — made explicit in §16, excerpted above — that statutes must spell out any other statutes they are incorporating.

Or take §220.00 of state public-health law, which defines the “controlled substances” that state criminal law makes illegal for drug-trafficking purposes. Unlike the felony business-record falsification statute (§175.10, excerpted above), §220.00 does not refer to just any “controlled substance” or “another controlled substance”; it exactingly provides that a controlled substance is actionable only if it is listed in specific, expressly stated provisions of state public-health law (e.g., §3306, whose lists of controlled substances, and the “schedules” of varying seriousness on which those substances appear, is cited several times).

If the New York legislature meant to give state prosecutors authority to enforce federal campaign law, then to be in compliance with the New York constitution they had to do it expressly — by expressly describing the specific conduct that they were purporting to criminalize, or by at least referring to the specific provisions of federal law they were purporting to authorize for state prosecution.

this law does exist; this article states that it is not applicable in this case. the assertion that it is intended for only state elections is false as the first part of that code section clearly states it applies to elections for federal offices as well. the conspiracy to influence the election has to be done through unlawful means to qualify. he is not charged here because i believe you need 2 people to be charged in order to pursue a conspiracy case...one cant conspire with themselves. but 'intent to commit' still applies.

Right, but, this is apples/oranges. States are effectively empowered to determine who qualifies for federal offices (with all the caveats that the Supreme Court just decided re: Colorado attempting to remove Trump from the ballot), but that's not what's being argued here. As I previously stated, the "conspiracy" that the prosecution is attempting to pursue doesn't exist in NY law for federal elections.

You're also making my point for me here: We don't know for sure what the felony is because the indictment doesn't specify it.

correct he cant enforce; he is not enforcing federal campaign finance law contrary to what some are saying; he is asserting an intent to commit that crime; that is sufficient and supported by case law (even if the intended crimes are out of state/federal crimes; supported by case law).

He's absolutely trying to enforce a federal campaign finance law here, via 'intent to commit'. Otherwise, that could cover ridiculous scenarios where Bragg decides he has "jurisdiction to enforce, say, Chinese penal statutes, sharia’s hudud crimes, and perhaps even the criminal laws of Rome....under the Bragg/Merchan rationale, the statute doesn’t say the “other crime” must still be in existence."

correct on the contents provided; but "other crime" is not required to be provided in the indictment; that is supported by case law cited in #1; Bragg provided summary in bill of particulars when asked by defendant to produce, even though he had no legal obligation to do so under the law. Trump is not charged with anything but the indicted offenses of falsifying business records in the first degree (with intent to commit other crimes)

As I've pointed out & provided references for before more than once, you're 100% wrong here.

i have a hard time believing that evidence was presented to a grand jury and that bragg then just made up his own 'statement of facts' and the grand jury is not aware of said facts. maybe i am reading this wrong...apologies if so.

It is hard to believe, because it's so ridiculous. But, that's exactly what happened.

RE: "scheme" - the only scheme i see referenced in the statement of facts is defined as the catch and kill scheme; nothing about conspiracy.

EXACTLY. Nothing about "conspiracy". You're making my point for me, again.

The indictment lists a crime (felony falsification of business records) that is different from the one Bragg is presenting to the jury (the “crime” of conspiracy to steal an election by violating federal campaign-finance statutes — a crime that does not exist in New York law).

As I've noted more than once & provided specific references to, the prosecution disregards NY's constitution because the "felony records falsification statute (§175.10) does not specifically describe what is meant by “another crime” — i.e., assuming a person falsifies business records with a fraudulent intent to conceal “another crime,” the statute does not elaborate, by describing conduct or citing other statutory provisions, what these other crimes are that would trigger the felony penalty."

Therefore, basic due process requires that penal statutes and indictments must put people on notice of what conduct was forbidden and what forbidden conduct has been charged.

correct on legality; NDAs are perfectly legal. but, why involve cohen or AMI here? something doesnt add up if trump could have just paid it directly with no consequences. why log it in company ledgers? why go thru the trouble?

Does it matter? Using Cohen (a lawyer) or AMI here doesn't make anything illegal. Do you think non-lawyers craft any NDA? I'm not going to go on another tangent here about how ridiculous the 'falsification' charges are, here. But, nothing about this scenario makes it illegal:

When Trump’s lawyers pointed that out last week, noting that nondisclosure agreements (a.k.a. “hush-money” deals) are legal and common, Bragg’s assistant prosecutor Joshua Steinglass countered that there was a conspiracy statute in the case — the New York crime of “conspiracy to promote or prevent election,” codified in §17-152 of the state’s election law. As I’ve explained, this is preposterous. That conspiracy crime is not charged or even mentioned in the indictment. It is not specified in the felony business-records-falsification statute, as the New York constitution requires if it is going to be enforced as part of that statute.

Moreover, if it really applied, as Bragg and Steinglass now claim it does, one would naturally ask, “Why didn’t prosecutors just charge it in the indictment?” There are two answers.

First, because a §17-152 conspiracy is a misdemeanor — i.e., just like the misdemeanor business-records-falsification statute (§175.05) that Bragg also didn’t charge, §17-152 has a two-year statute of limitations. Ergo, as to the conduct in this case, the time to charge that conspiracy lapsed in 2019. And yes, Bragg is now trying to qualify for the six-year felony statute of limitations — so he could charge 34 felonies with a potential of 136 years’ imprisonment — by stitching together two misdemeanors as to which the statute of limitations lapsed four years before Bragg finally indicted the case.

Second, to establish a §17-152 conspiracy, it is not enough for prosecutors to prove that a defendant conspired to promote a candidate’s election; they also have to establish an intent to promote it “by unlawful means.” Even if such a conspiracy charge hadn’t been time-barred, Bragg would not have wanted to spell the supposedly “unlawful means” out in an indictment because the illegality he wants to prove is a supposed violation of federal campaign-finance law. Bragg, as a state DA, has no jurisdiction to prosecute federal campaign-finance law.

Nondisclosure agreements are legal. They do not run afoul of campaign law because they are technically not campaign expenditures — which is why the Justice Department and FEC, which have exclusive prosecutorial authority over federal campaign law, decided not to prosecute Trump.

Why is this so important? Because if, as an objective legal matter, a disbursement of money is not a campaign expenditure, then it does not matter what the people involved in the disbursement were subjectively thinking. They could have guilty consciences. They could be sneaky, stealthy, and dishonest. But if the payment of “hush money” is not a campaign expenditure, then there is no crime, period.

Nor, in any event, is conspiracy to violate federal campaign-finance law the crime Bragg charged. But it’s often hard to know what Bragg charged, especially by reading news coverage, because the business-records statute he invoked does not state the crime he indicted (concealment of a federal campaign violation), and the indictment he filed does not charge the “offense” he is presenting to the jury (conspiracy to suppress politically damaging information).

this summary is not my understanding of what is being presented.

That was a short-ish summary of what I had already presented above. I think you have a flawed understanding of what's involved, here. Part of that is due to the prosecution "trying" a case that wasn't in the indictment. This has been pointed out by talking heads across all networks. It's why there is confusion & disbelief at the witnesses they've called & the questions they've asked.

It took two weeks before a single witness (Hicks) was even asked about 'business records'...what the trial is actually supposed to be about, according to the indictment.

i think confusion lies in that some think bragg is trying to enforce FEC laws, when all he has to do is show 'intent to commit FEC crimes' (other crimes). he hasnt charged trump with FEC violations (lacks jurisdiction) or conspiracy to influence election through unlawful means (lacks standing due to statute of limitations and single party defendant). but...falsifying business records to conceal intent to commit these crimes, whether they happened or not, is the play bragg is making. its unique, but appears to follow the letter of the law and is supported by case law in NY for over 40 years in some cases.

Your understanding of what Bragg can do in re: to FEC campaign finance laws is fatally flawed. He cannot do what you're saying he can, for reasons I've covered and are more thoroughly covered in multiple links I've provided previously. Read them all, in full. Much of what I've posted here is covered much more thoroughly.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT