ADVERTISEMENT

Another post about pitching...

TheRedRain

War Daddy
Gold Member
May 6, 2005
We all know it's bad. After two SEC weekends, we have the worst in-conference ERA in the entire league. It's 9.52. And that's when Jonathan Cannon pitching 15 of the 52 SEC innings, and allowing 2 earned runs. The SEC ERA for every one not named Jonathan Cannon is 12.89.

I mentioned this over on the Dawgvent yesterday, but it's very concerning to me how much our second year pitchers have struggled. I'll toss Michael Polk into that second year category too since he didn't get to do too much in 2020 with Covid. I can't think of a single second year pitcher who is better this year than he was last. I think Jaden Woods is about the same, though the HRs are bothersome. For all of the talk of injuries (while glossing over that Liam Sullivan and Dylan Ross hadn't pitched THAT well before they got hurt), the real issue to me is that we've had whole class that seems to have regressed.

Here is what our second year players (and Polk) are doing in the SEC. Granted, it's a small sample size.

Michael Polk - 3.86 ERA in 2 appearances, 4 2/3 innings, 3 strikeouts, 2 walks, .133 average against. That's pretty good. He wasn't good against Miss State and was very good against Kentucky.

Jaden Woods - 4.15 ERA in 2 appearances, 4 1/3 innings, 11 strikeouts, 1 walk, 2 HRs allowed, .316 average against

Luke Wagner - 10.80 ERA in 2 appearances, 1 start, 5 innings, 4 strikeouts, 4 walks, .333 average against

Will Pearson - 18.00 ERA in 2 appearances, 1 inning pitched, no strikeouts, no walks, .714 average against

Colin Caldwell - 38.57 ERA in 3 appearances, 2 1/3 inning pitched, 5 strikeouts, 5 walks, 2 HRs allowed, .538 average against.

Bryce Melear (third year player who redshirted in 2020) - 54.00 in 2/3 of an inning, 0 strikeouts, 2 walks, 1 HR allowed, .600 average against.

What is going on there? I'm not listing those guys individually in order to single anyone out - the opposite actually. I think that when so many guys struggling is indicative of something beyond an individual issue. Maybe I'm wrong. But it's pretty alarming to see those numbers. Here's what those guys did in the SEC last season.

Michael Polk - 2.25 ERA in 10 appearances, 12 innings, 13 strikeouts, 11 walks, .263 average against

Jaden Woods - 4.85 ERA in 11 appearances, 1 start, 29 2/3 innings. 31 strikeouts, 14 walks, 4 HRs, .222 average against

Luke Wagner - 7.91 ERA in 10 appearances, 8 starts, 19 1/3 innings, 17 strikeouts, 12 walks, .311 average against

Will Pearson - 5.19 ERA in 8 appearances, 8 2/3 innings, 5 strikeouts, 5 walks, .343 average against

Colin Caldwell - 4.66 ERA in 12 appearances, 9 2/3 innings, 12 strikeouts, 3 walks, .333 average against

Bryce Melear (no SEC action in 2021).

Like I say, it is early and ERAs can look a little funky after only two appearances if one didn't go well. Still, I ask again, what's going on here? Stricklin and Kenny did a terrific job last year working around all those injuries, having to play a bullpen game almost every weekend and almost every midweek. This isn't a "fire the pitching coach!" post.... I'm just at a loss for explaining why it's been so bad.... and it's not because Liam Sullivan has missed the last two weekend and Dylan Ross is lost for the year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News