ADVERTISEMENT

Are you better off than you were four years ago?

Biden had tailwinds. Big time. Look at the run up in markets leading into 2021 and the amount of liquidity folks had between savings from Covid and tax free RE-fi proceeds from ultra low interest mortgages.

And despite the fact that anyone with a brain could see that we had already recovered economically. And the only ones super focused on keeping things shut down in early 2021 were politically minded folks who couldn’t bear the thought of agreeing with Trump / DeSantis - the democrats on a straight party line injected another trillion dollar stimulus.

And to make matters worse kept supply chains constrained with continued shutdowns and unnecessarily long quarantine rules for anyone 15 people removed from COVID. We had vaccines at that point. But the continued virtue signaling and shaming kept supply chains eff’d.

Straight party line. Demand >>>>>>> Supply = inflation. I blame the fed also for acting too late.

You will say that global inflation proves this was not a US issue. True to some extent but remember that the World turns on US economic policy, the cost of US treasuries, US currency, etc, etc. Bottom line we were going to have some inflarion coming out of Covid but our Government threw gas on it.
So let’s assume, for the sake of this discussion, that everything you say is correct. Can you point me to what Trump’s proposed policies are that will improve upon what we get under Biden? I’ve looked and not been able to find much, but I’ll admit I may be looking in the wrong place.

Reactions: nice marmot
We are losing full time jobs to part time employment. With this comes limited benefits.
Obamacare - as much as you deride it - was a response to the problem you cite.

Single payer is the solution.

Last edited:
Obamacare - as much as you deride it - was a response to the problem you cite.

Single payer is the solution.
That is crazy talk. No. They were already paying for folks who couldn’t get insurance. So they flipped the script and made it more expensive for the haves to have insurance. And harder to get for the middle class. So tons of middle class are without insurance so every indigent person on the planet, or illegal, or whatever can have free insurance and someone is paying for it. I went from 300 a month to 1000 on a family of 6. Was this happened prior to Obamacare. Sure. Or you have to work a certain amount of time to get benefits, but on the list of reasons for Obamacare the addition of part time jobs to avoid benefits is 75th on the list. Obama just flipped the payors for insurance. Also cut me out of a business I used to make some decent side money doing. So f him. Thanks Obama.

Reactions: DawglegrightinSC
They were already paying for folks who couldn’t get insurance. So they flipped the script and made it more expensive for the haves to have insurance. A
"they" being who in these sentences.

single payer is the solution.

Our taxes is they. The guberment. There aren’t a ton of solutions I will admit. I give Obama credit for at least trying. But the solution wasn’t good. You may be right. But I wouldn’t bet on it.

Reactions: DawglegrightinSC
Our taxes is they. The guberment. There aren’t a ton of solutions I will admit. I give Obama credit for at least trying. But the solution wasn’t good. You may be right. But I wouldn’t bet on it.
Obama knew that the ACA had to be bipartisan. But that came at a cost. Politically for him - a - people on the left hated it - and - b - the legislation isn't great for ALL the reasons. It's a half measure. It's a political solution.

But things would be worse without it. Soon we will have to have another go.

Serious legislators, when we get on the other side of this current impasse and MAGA loses sway to- I guess -what some on here would call RINO, will have to address in order:

1) the border (easy! probably take a month)
2) healthcare (no so much! but doable. end employer insurance - it doesn't have to mean the end of competing insurers.)
3) campaign finance (wow... this would change the game).

Last edited:
Obama knew that if he rammed the ACA though unilaterally it wouldn't work. It had to be bipartisan. But that came at a cost. The legislation isn't great. It's a half measure. It's a political solution.

But things would be worse without it. Soon we will have to have another go.

Serious legislators on the other side of the current impasse should address in order:

1) the border (easy! probably take a month)
2) healthcare (no so much! but doable. end employer insurance)
3) campaign finance (wow... this would change the game).
You end employer insurance and you may see some assasinations. Seriously. I get why you say this, but pissed is not the word. I wanted to strangle Obama myself back then. He cost me a shitload of money. This is a big reason I hate every freaking candidate you support. I have less money in my pocket every single time. No matter what. It is like I have a Democrat bullseye on my back. Upfront they lead with the social issues. Divide us. Then prison rape me with their economics every single time. That is as honest as I can be with you. Makes me want to beat the shit of out of someone. Maybe that is why so many are frustrated right here on this board.

Reactions: nice marmot
You end employer insurance and you may see some assasinations. Seriously. I get why you say this, but pissed is not the word. I wanted to strangle Obama myself back then. He cost me a shitload of money. This is a big reason I hate every freaking candidate you support. I have less money in my pocket every single time. No matter what. It is like I have a Democrat bullseye on my back. Upfront they lead with the social issues. Divide us. Then prison rape me with their economics every single time. That is as honest as I can be with you. Makes me want to beat the shit of out of someone. Maybe that is why so many are frustrated right here on this board.
I think you misunderstand me:

your employer can continue to offer insurance as a benefit... i.e. they will pay for your policy that YOU own.

which returns it to being a benefit -

instead of a yoke, as it was and is less so now.

Reactions: zingerdawg

So the solution is to put another half million people out of work who are employed by the insurance carriers. And that doesn’t count for insurance brokers who sell health insurance

I think you misunderstand me:

your employer can continue to offer insurance as a benefit... i.e. they will pay for your policy that YOU own.

which returns it to being a benefit -

instead of a yoke, as it was and is less so now.
Like I said, and the response you got. It is an ugly choice no matter how you shake it out. I don’t give Obama credit for much. He didn’t screw anything up. He didn’t do much at all. He did try to fix that. Which he didn’t. He just swapped problems. He did really try and to not be so partisan. Even if that is how it turned out.

So let’s assume, for the sake of this discussion, that everything you say is correct. Can you point me to what Trump’s proposed policies are that will improve upon what we get under Biden? I’ve looked and not been able to find much, but I’ll admit I may be looking in the wrong place.
The answer is in the original post. As the republicans voted unanimously - don’t inject another trillion into the economy when it doesn’t need it. As red states showed, don’t unnecessarily shut down schools businesses and workers to constrain supply artificially.

As far as go forward policy. I suspect inflation has already corrected. Lag effect of rent calcs not reflected in cpi yet but in reality we are at 2 percent. Point is that Damage done on prices they aren’t coming back down. Also - pro oil production policy, a better regulatory environment, etc should help on the supply side. Also lower interest rates will help loosen supply on housing.

Capitalism works. Let it.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
The answer is in the original post. As the republicans voted unanimously - don’t inject another trillion into the economy when it doesn’t need it. As red states showed, don’t unnecessarily shut down schools businesses and workers to constrain supply artificially.

As far as go forward policy. I suspect inflation has already corrected. Lag effect of rent calcs not reflected in cpi yet but in reality we are at 2 percent. Point is that Damage done on prices they aren’t coming back down. Also - pro oil production policy, a better regulatory environment, etc should help on the supply side. Also lower interest rates will help loosen supply on housing.

Capitalism works. Let it.
Pro oil policy? We are producing more oil than any country in history. The industry has some regulatory hurdles, but they seem to be overcoming them with no issues.

The president doesn’t control interest rates.

This is part of my challenge in these discussions. It’s argued that Biden has been an utter disaster, a nightmare, worst president ever. But when I ask for specific economic policies that will turn the nightmare around, it’s pretty vague. Given how bad Biden has been, I would expect a fairly detailed list of specific changes that Trump has pledged to right the ship, and I can’t find that anywhere.

I know he’s going to pull support for Ukraine.

I guess he’s going to be tougher on Iran, although the $10b exception to sanctions that allows Iraq to by energy from Iran and that people on here were recently complaining about was originally instituted by Trump.

We can assume he will try and further lower taxes, which will add to the deficit the exact same way it did the last time he lowered taxes.

So what economic policy can we expect from Trump II?

Reactions: jbpayne32
Not sure what you’re looking for, and for the record I was for RDS. But under Trump the economy was much better and was moving in the right direction b4 the Chinx (with Fauci’s assistance) threw covid on the world, employment numbers were better, especially for minorities and women, the southern border wasn’t the dangerous wreck it is today, we were energy independent, we were bringing manufacturing back stateside, we weren’t involved in foreign wars, the crazy left wing MSM was focused on defaming him instead of half the country, and his Admin wasn’t engaged in lawfare.

That’s just a start.

Pro oil policy? We are producing more oil than any country in history. The industry has some regulatory hurdles, but they seem to be overcoming them with no issues.

The president doesn’t control interest rates.

This is part of my challenge in these discussions. It’s argued that Biden has been an utter disaster, a nightmare, worst president ever. But when I ask for specific economic policies that will turn the nightmare around, it’s pretty vague. Given how bad Biden has been, I would expect a fairly detailed list of specific changes that Trump has pledged to right the ship, and I can’t find that anywhere.

I know he’s going to pull support for Ukraine.

I guess he’s going to be tougher on Iran, although the $10b exception to sanctions that allows Iraq to by energy from Iran and that people on here were recently complaining about was originally instituted by Trump.

We can assume he will try and further lower taxes, which will add to the deficit the exact same way it did the last time he lowered taxes.

So what economic policy can we expect from Trump II?
When inflation hits as hard as it does, honestly the President probably gets too much blame. Covid took out Trump. Indirectly it is going to take out Biden as well - because the aftermath of Covid led to inflation which sure as shit effects everyone and is the number one reason he’s polling so poorly.

All that said, and this is kind of the same answer to your Trump II question - the things that help on inflation that you can control from a government standpoint are supply side economics and restraints on injecting more liquidity into the system.

Supply side constraints: government regulation in general and rhetoric painting big business as the enemy. Shutdowns. Government lawsuits shutting down M&A. Anything that keeps businesses operating at less than full potential (also the answer to your oil comment yeah we are producing more than ever because we are growing a ton population wise. Could we be producing more? Absolutely).

Excess demand: government spending. Stimulus. Government led liquidity infusions.

Inflation Would have been a thing regardless, but policy poured gasoline on it.

Presidents don’t control interest rates, but policy leading to rampid inflation forced the fed to raise them: too late and way too fast in my opinion. But had we done a better job with policy a few years ago, mortgage rates would be in the 4-5 range. Not the 6-7 range. Both Biden and Trump II should benefit from falling rates beginning this summer.

Bottom line - inflation would have been bad but not as bad with republican economic policy. And going forward in general the basic Econ 101 rules of supply / demand work better IMHO with republican policy: less regulation being the biggest “Trump II economic plan” that works much better than what we have now. It isn’t a Trump thing per se. It is a general principal of capitalism thing. Trump’s track record pretty damned good too.

As a business owner it about killed us. Double digit increases every year. Brutal.

When inflation hits as hard as it does, honestly the President probably gets too much blame. Covid took out Trump. Indirectly it is going to take out Biden as well - because the aftermath of Covid led to inflation which sure as shit effects everyone and is the number one reason he’s polling so poorly.

All that said, and this is kind of the same answer to your Trump II question - the things that help on inflation that you can control from a government standpoint are supply side economics and restraints on injecting more liquidity into the system.

Supply side constraints: government regulation in general and rhetoric painting big business as the enemy. Shutdowns. Government lawsuits shutting down M&A. Anything that keeps businesses operating at less than full potential (also the answer to your oil comment yeah we are producing more than ever because we are growing a ton population wise. Could we be producing more? Absolutely).

Excess demand: government spending. Stimulus. Government led liquidity infusions.

Inflation Would have been a thing regardless, but policy poured gasoline on it.

Presidents don’t control interest rates, but policy leading to rampid inflation forced the fed to raise them: too late and way too fast in my opinion. But had we done a better job with policy a few years ago, mortgage rates would be in the 4-5 range. Not the 6-7 range. Both Biden and Trump II should benefit from falling rates beginning this summer.

Bottom line - inflation would have been bad but not as bad with republican economic policy. And going forward in general the basic Econ 101 rules of supply / demand work better IMHO with republican policy: less regulation being the biggest “Trump II economic plan” that works much better than what we have now. It isn’t a Trump thing per se. It is a general principal of capitalism thing. Trump’s track record pretty damned good too.
Well said.

November is a political lifetime away. Economics will take care of itself with Fed policy. If inflation has a 2 handle that issue moves down the list.

The border is a bigger deal in my opinion. Efforts should be focused there by Dems to fix problems they created (either intentional or not), and republicans should be chastised until election day if they fail to assist on getting a bill passed to overhaul things outside the executive branch's power. They cannot hide behind "we will just handle it when trump gets here", especially with their margins as thin as they are. We may actually see real compromise... but I'm not holding my breath.

Well said.

November is a political lifetime away. Economics will take care of itself with Fed policy. If inflation has a 2 handle that issue moves down the list.

The border is a bigger deal in my opinion. Efforts should be focused there by Dems to fix problems they created (either intentional or not), and republicans should be chastised until election day if they fail to assist on getting a bill passed to overhaul things outside the executive branch's power. They cannot hide behind "we will just handle it when trump gets here", especially with their margins as thin as they are. We may actually see real compromise... but I'm not holding my breath.
Covid didn’t do anything. Our approach to it did everything. The shutdown was unnecessary and Biden kept spending well beyond the pandemic. Everyone knows this. Everyone also knows this is the cause of inflation. The Dems saw their opportunity to enslave the nation, especially the middle and lower classes. And they pounced.

Covid didn’t do anything. Our approach to it did everything. The shutdown was unnecessary and Biden kept spending well beyond the pandemic. Everyone knows this. Everyone also knows this is the cause of inflation. The Dems saw their opportunity to enslave the nation, especially the middle and lower classes. And they pounced.
Exactly

Well said.

2 handle works for fed policy and will get interest rates down, but it won’t do much for folks still paying 30 percent more money for just about everything relative to a few years ago. Most people think of inflation in terms of actual prices relative to the past. The rate of inflation even being flat won’t move the needle politically. Damage done.

sure. it's an indisputable, if hackneyed, point you make. But most who die at home or in hospitals get to have their loved-ones around them.
I got somebody with me every second of every day. Whether there's any of my people around when I go or not don't matter much. But I guess that's "hackneyed".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT