ADVERTISEMENT

At a boat ramp near you...

McDonoughDawg

Circle of Honor
May 29, 2001
10376995_10152412013240169_174355443090828523_n.jpg

Sitting at a large public boat ramp on a Summer weekend...

afternoon will give you entertainment that money cannot buy. Ramps at lakes are much better venues than ramps in salt water. I guess salt water boaters have to be a little more knowledgeable.

I was thinking that as I posted. Spot on. They used to rent some small

house boats at Lake Lanier, underpowered, etc...watching them come in for fuel etc at Holiday Marina was a hoot.

I used to eat my lunch sitting around the boat ramps here, I saw

some classics.
laugh.r191677.gif

LOL, saw a dude with a brand new F150 maxed out and...

matching brand new Bullet try for 30 minutes to back the dam thing down a ramp wide enough for 3. He bout jack knifed the thing a couple of times. I finally decided to go offer to back it in but another fellow beat me to it.

I've seen things that no one would believe, saw a guy put his boat...

on the trailer, yell for his son to pull the truck up without hooking the front rope and the boat fell off the trailer about 6 feet from the water, dad still sitting in the boat drivers seat. Nice 20' or so ski boat sitting on the ramp and the guy and his son yelling at each other. Saw a bass boat guy do the same thing after he put those slick pads on his trailer bunks and didn't realize how slippery they are. A boat will glide right on the trailer, unfortunately, it will glide right back off.

More plugs left out than you can count and more boats floating away with no one in them too. I'm convinced a lot of people buy nice boats and have never backed a trailer in their life, it's comedy gold watching them zig zag their way down the ramp and usually off one side and get the trailer axle stuck on the rocks or edge of the concrete ramp.

Concur in the ZIG ZAG, I don't own a boat but I can back...

the shat out of one. Makes me more valuable as a potential fishing buddy LOL

My Grandad taught me the easist way to back something.

Put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and move it the way you want the trailer to go.

I could back a gooseneck cattle trailer back into the crate it came in

Probably couldn't now but used to be able to. I had folks applaud me for backing a trailer through a bunch of others at the bull test sale in Calhoun when I had to leave early.

My dad bought a brand new Stratos about 12 years ago. It was our first fishing boat. We took it out to Lake Allatoona and put it in at Red Top Mountain. That is a long ass boat ramp when the water is down. He backed it down just fine, we fished all morning and caught a few fish. We were feeling good about ourselves until Dad backed the trailer down, I ran the boat up onto the trailer and I forgot to lock it in. He started to pull up the ramp and THUD! The boat slid off the trailer. It cracked the gel coat but was otherwise ok. Thankfully, a few guys near by helped us get the boat back on the trailer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT