ADVERTISEMENT

Can the NFL just get rid of the extra point already?

UgaTom

Pillar of the DawgVent
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
It's completely out-dated and a waste of time. Don't move it back or force teams to go for two - just make a TD seven points and be done with it.

It's completely out-dated and a waste of time. Don't move it back or force teams to go for two - just make a TD seven points and be done with it.
I LOVE the idea of moving it back to the 15 yard line. Won't drop the percentage made by too much but at least give the defense a chance to block it.

heck the saints missed the playoffs b/c of the Carney miss years ago.. b/c lost to Penn st in overtime b/c of one..
The success rate for PATs in the NFL is 99% since 2004, which means that they almost never factor into the outcome of a game. That's why the NFL is considering changing it.

The success rate for PATs in the NFL is 99% since 2004, which means that they almost never factor into the outcome of a game. That's why the NFL is considering changing it.
Agreed. Or how about make teams go for two in the fourth quarter?

The EP factors in HS and College more than Pro...I was a kicker in HS and never had on blocked...but we blocked a few that won a game or two...the OT game with GT last year was a factor until the pick...in the NFL, I don't remember an EP ever being blocked...or rarely even missed...but it would effect the kickers overall point totals for a career...maybe effect a HOF decision...

I think the EP should stay.

If a team wants to kick for 1 point, it should go (imo):

- NCAA - Ball spotted at the 18, making it a 35 yard EP.

- NFL - Ball spotted at the 28, making it a 45 yard EP.

Keep the "two point" scrimmage line as is and let teams go for 2 if they want.

That would make it not automatic as it is now and would make it a more competitive play.

I think the EP should stay.

If a team wants to kick for 1 point, it should go (imo):

- NCAA - Ball spotted at the 18, making it a 35 yard EP.

- NFL - Ball spotted at the 28, making it a 45 yard EP.

Keep the "two point" scrimmage line as is and let teams go for 2 if they want.

That would make it not automatic as it is now and would make it a more competitive play.
Agreed, but I think that is a bit far for the pros. I think the betting community might sabotage this.

Agreed, but I think that is a bit far for the pros. I think the betting community might sabotage this.

You are right about the betting community. Vegas has done a really good job of figuring out lines and totals as is. If there was a change, it would take them a bit to get a grasp on the new way of scoring...And that could mean losing money.

I would be open to the yardage (it's been 99.6% made from the 3) and in the first two weeks of the preseason last year from the 15, the average went down to 94.3%. That doesn't take into account second or third team kickers who may have gotten some PT.

Rough math has kickers last year in the regular season at 77% from 40 to 49 yards. I think somewhere around 40 to 45 would be good for the NFL. I definitely wanna see a challenge.

I like the change, would really like it to be about 5 yards further back. Look for kickers' pay to increase soon, that is a big emphasis on consistently, especially in windy, cold, and/or wet days.

I like the change, would really like it to be about 5 yards further back. Look for kickers' pay to increase soon, that is a big emphasis on consistently, especially in windy, cold, and/or wet days.
Maybe they should move it further back for teams playing in a dome.

Already some kickers fussing a bit about teams that play in certain divisions, like the AFC North, being a lot tougher for them.

I agree as it relates to contracts or whatever, but when it comes to in game, they should have the advantage because they are used to it, whereas a domed teamed kicker may struggle a bit more with it.

ADVERTISEMENT