ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Conley speaks on Facebook

LumpLump

Letterman and National Champion
May 2, 2006
Almost hate to post but is worthy.

"The current events in Baltimore have my heart upset. Not only the actions of the Police and Law enforcement but the reactions of people across this country.

The increased number of American lives (black lives included) that have been taken over the years at home and abroad has seemed to desensitize us as a country to how much a life is worth. Maybe its our culture, maybe its T.V., movies, and games constantly showing us death in a nonchalant manner. It makes me sick. Death isn’t serious in America. And unfortunately for many people I’ve heard speak about it, if it is the life of an African American in a bad neighborhood, he had it coming so it’s no surprise. We label all those upset as ridiculous and overreacting zealots, criminal sympathizers, or criminals themselves.
People have been reacting in some negative ways.

Some respond with righteous indignation which initially is warranted but then taken to a place where it is corrosive rather than productive. I have seen so many people turn to posting combative comments and saying things that are polarizing to just act as a catalyst for further conflict ultimately making this a white/black issue. We push for justice then we blame every law enforcement officer and label him or her as crooked or evil. Maybe we just crave conflict and would rather throw around fighting words at white America rather than seek an actual solution.

Some also respond with racism and use events like these to spew their racial beliefs across the Internet. Racial slurs are being thrown around and "black people are just being ridiculous" or "whites don’t care because its not one of them" is being shot all over the Internet. This is so much more than a racial issue. It's a people issue. The racial divide in our country is widening and we are helping it along, on both sides.

Some respond with apathy. "It didnt involve or happen to me so who cares" attitude. That is a source of the societal issue as well.
Lets face it we need God. We choose to look at people, a life, and situations through our cultural filters instead of choosing to look at those things through Gods filter of compassion and grace.
Not all cops are evil, yes some have made horrible mistakes but to yell and throw things at another cop just because your upset and he is wearing a badge isn’t the solution. I see cops in Baltimore trying to keep the peace in the streets and protestors are threatening them? They have families too.

For the people who could care less about this whole situation and the lives that have been taken, I pray you find your humanity again. Life is precious and nothing gives us as humans the right to deem someone’s life invaluable even if that person has made mistakes in the past.

How dangerous and unproductive have the recent riots been? How many more people must be hurt for this issue of killings to stop? When will we stop provoking people to cause more conflict? From what I see the cop issues are far from fixed and these riots look far from peaceful protests. Lets get it right people, it starts with us.

The Justice system is in place so people can feel safe not feel threatened by those who are suppose to be protecting us. Some people will write me off as an upset Black or someone who sympathizes with Criminals and Cops. No I sympathize with human life and Cops shouldn't be taking it and Rioters shouldn’t be threatening it. But I’ll go back to my politically correct box and be quite now because that’s what society wants from African American public figures...

Love that kid, he makes some good points. But he blows it at the end. No one wants African American public figures to be quite......well the stupid ones like Al and Jessie.....But the only blacks ppl want to shut up are guys that refuse to live on the DemocRAT plantation like Ben Carson, Herman Cain, Tim Scott, Thomas Sole etc.

Reactions: 1966septemberdawg
Smart kid, but his last sentence is so far off. It would be great for an African American public figure, who isnt trying just to make money off the AA public, to come out and speak up. He is a bright kid and could do a lot of good. This divide he is speaking of started at the top 7 years ago. He is right about the senseless deaths, but at the same time if you stop breaking the law you will not have to worry about the consequences.

Reactions: Rolodawg2011
<And unfortunately for many people I’ve heard speak about it, if it is the life of an African American in a bad neighborhood, he had it coming so it’s no surprise.>

More accurately if it's a white kid in a bad neighborhood with 25 prior arrests - nobody will care - certainly not the press.

Cruising along until he blows it with the racist comment on the way out the door. He should stick to football until he gains a little real world experience to speak on such...

Reactions: Rolodawg2011
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT