ADVERTISEMENT

Church Sign Read "Hate Is From The Heart, Not From Flags*

and? no message in there? BUT, I agree. Flag has nothing to do with it.

They should stick to messages about knee-mail.
Agree. Ask the Church how it feels about people wearing shirts emblazoned with Satan to a Sunday morning service. The point is that symbols reflect what is in people's heart. And, I'm as southern and conservative as s can be.

Sounds like that church's pastor needs a history lesson. Why did southern Methodists withdraw from the rest of the country in 1844? Why did southern Baptist churches secede from the national church to form the Southern Baptist Convention in 1845? Was it over states' rights, or tariffs, or a powerful federal government? Or was it some moral issue?

The morally bankrupt white southern church is nothing new. Fifty-two years ago Dr. Martin Luther King wrote:

I have traveled the length and breadth of Alabama, Mississippi and all the other southern states. On sweltering summer days and crisp autumn mornings I have looked at the South's beautiful churches with their lofty spires pointing heavenward. I have beheld the impressive outlines of her massive religious education buildings. Over and over I have found myself asking: "What kind of people worship here? Who is their God? Where were their voices when the lips of Governor Barnett dripped with words of interposition and nullification? Where were they when Governor Wallace gave a clarion call for defiance and hatred? Where were their voices of support when bruised and weary Negro men and women decided to rise from the dark dungeons of complacency to the bright hills of creative protest?

Yes, these questions are still in my mind. In deep disappointment I have wept over the laxity of the church. But be assured that my tears have been tears of love. There can be no deep disappointment where there is not deep love. Yes, I love the church. How could I do otherwise? I am in the rather unique position of being the son, the grandson and the great grandson of preachers. Yes, I see the church as the body of Christ. But, oh! How we have blemished and scarred that body through social neglect and through fear of being nonconformists.

There was a time when the church was very powerful--in the time when the early Christians rejoiced at being deemed worthy to suffer for what they believed. In those days the church was not merely a thermometer that recorded the ideas and principles of popular opinion; it was a thermostat that transformed the mores of society. Whenever the early Christians entered a town, the people in power became disturbed and immediately sought to convict the Christians for being "disturbers of the peace" and "outside agitators."' But the Christians pressed on, in the conviction that they were "a colony of heaven," called to obey God rather than man. Small in number, they were big in commitment. They were too God-intoxicated to be "astronomically intimidated." By their effort and example they brought an end to such ancient evils as infanticide and gladiatorial contests. Things are different now. So often the contemporary church is a weak, ineffectual voice with an uncertain sound. So often it is an archdefender of the status quo. Far from being disturbed by the presence of the church, the power structure of the average community is consoled by the church's silent--and often even vocal--sanction of things as they are.

But the judgment of God is upon the church as never before. If today's church does not recapture the sacrificial spirit of the early church, it will lose its authenticity, forfeit the loyalty of millions, and be dismissed as an irrelevant social club with no meaning for the twentieth century. Every day I meet young people whose disappointment with the church has turned into outright disgust.

Reactions: Boost Assendahm
Totally agree...all it really represents is a section of the country that committed treason for the sacred right to own human beings....

And a lot of the Underground Railroad ran through churches.
And sweet mercy from a lot of people came from the convictions of the heart through God.
An ex-Northern slaver wrote Amazing Grace. Think about it.
You're still wrong about people and life in general.
Believe the worst all you want. It will come true for you.

And a lot of the Underground Railroad ran through churches.
And sweet mercy from a lot of people came from the convictions of the heart through God.
An ex-Northern slaver wrote Amazing Grace. Think about it.
You're still wrong about people and life in general.
Believe the worst all you want. It will come true for you.

A lot of the Underground Railroad ran through Northern churches. Can you cite one example of a southern church with a white congregation (not a Quaker congregation) that assisted African-Americans to freedom? Or is that just your opinion masquerading as fact again?

John Newton, the author of Amazing Grace, was English, not Northern, not American. Think about getting your facts straight.

I'm right about history.

Slavery also wasn't abolished until 1868 which is 3 years after the War.
Also, Delaware, Kentucky and Maryland existed with Slavery intact all the way through that War.
You can be right some of the time. No problem with that.
You are dead wrong in thinking in the black and white terms of a different
time. Are your people from up North and if so which state?

Slavery also wasn't abolished until 1868 which is 3 years after the War.
Also, Delaware, Kentucky and Maryland existed with Slavery intact all the way through that War.
You can be right some of the time. No problem with that.
You are dead wrong in thinking in the black and white terms of a different
time. Are your people from up North and if so which state?

I'm right about historical facts all of the time. The Thirteenth Amendment was ratified by the states on 6 December 1865, meaning that slavery was abolished by federal law at that time. Slavery was not abolished in Oklahoma Territory, occupied by Native Americans, until 1866. You are incorrect about the 1868 date.

My people are all from Alabama. Father's side Demopolis in southwest Alabama, mother's side Faunsdale in south central Alabama. My ancestors were traitors.

There is one in Savannah, Georgia.

Are you referring to the First African Baptist Church of Savannah? I challenged you to cite a Christian church (non-Quaker) with a white congregation that assisted the Underground Railroad.

You need to improve your processing skills with regard to factual information.

Is Catholic Christian enough? From Charleston and Savannah there were churches that sent people to remote parts of Florida
under the agreement that they convert to Catholicism. I process facts very well.
I'm NOT wrong about the 1868 date for the 14th Amendment.
And here's a little something from Wikipedia about the Nations capitol itself:
In December 1861, a bill was introduced in Congress for the abolition of slavery in Washington, D.C.[5] Written by Thomas Marshall Key,[6] and sponsored by Senator Henry Wilson of Massachusetts, the bill passed the Senate on April 3 by a vote of 29 in favor and 14 against.[7] It passed the House of Representatives on April 11.[8][9] Lincoln had wanted the bill to include a provision to make emancipation effective only after a favorable vote from the citizens of the District of Columbia.[10][11] He also wanted the bill to delay implementation until after a certain amount of time after the bill was signed.[10] Neither provision was included in the bill.[10][11] Lincoln signed the bill on April 16, 1862,[12] amid ongoing Congressional debate over an emancipation plan for the border states. Following the bill's passage, Lincoln proposed several changes to the act, which were approved by the legislature.[13]
The passage of the Compensated Emancipation Act came nearly nine months before the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation. The act, which set aside $1 million,[4] immediately emancipated slaves in Washington, D.C., giving Union slaveholders up to $300 per freed slave.[14] An additional $100,000[15] allocated by the law was used to pay each newly freed slave $100 if he or she chose to leave the United States and colonize in places such as Haiti or Liberia.[16]

When exactly did the Civil War begin, Professor? Help me with those facts.
Lincoln never would have done anything if it wasn't purely for political power and control.
The idea that the North was some holy liberal land of equal opportunity was a stretch that they feed kids to get
them a quick A+ and move on. Look at how the Fugitive Slave Acts got a lot of cooperation from people in Ohio
and all over. It was no utopia in any part of our country for a person of African descent.

Is Catholic Christian enough? From Charleston and Savannah there were churches that sent people to remote parts of Florida
under the agreement that they convert to Catholicism. I process facts very well.
I'm NOT wrong about the 1868 date for the 14th Amendment.
And here's a little something from Wikipedia about the Nations capitol itself:
In December 1861, a bill was introduced in Congress for the abolition of slavery in Washington, D.C.[5] Written by Thomas Marshall Key,[6] and sponsored by Senator Henry Wilson of Massachusetts, the bill passed the Senate on April 3 by a vote of 29 in favor and 14 against.[7] It passed the House of Representatives on April 11.[8][9] Lincoln had wanted the bill to include a provision to make emancipation effective only after a favorable vote from the citizens of the District of Columbia.[10][11] He also wanted the bill to delay implementation until after a certain amount of time after the bill was signed.[10] Neither provision was included in the bill.[10][11] Lincoln signed the bill on April 16, 1862,[12] amid ongoing Congressional debate over an emancipation plan for the border states. Following the bill's passage, Lincoln proposed several changes to the act, which were approved by the legislature.[13]
The passage of the Compensated Emancipation Act came nearly nine months before the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation. The act, which set aside $1 million,[4] immediately emancipated slaves in Washington, D.C., giving Union slaveholders up to $300 per freed slave.[14] An additional $100,000[15] allocated by the law was used to pay each newly freed slave $100 if he or she chose to leave the United States and colonize in places such as Haiti or Liberia.[16]

When exactly did the Civil War begin, Professor? Help me with those facts.
Lincoln never would have done anything if it wasn't purely for political power and control.
The idea that the North was some holy liberal land of equal opportunity was a stretch that they feed kids to get
them a quick A+ and move on. Look at how the Fugitive Slave Acts got a lot of cooperation from people in Ohio
and all over. It was no utopia in any part of our country for a person of African descent.

You are all over the place with this post. This topic is about churches, the confederate flag, and slavery.

1. If a church was sending African-Americans south to Florida, that church was not participating in the Underground Railroad. The Underground Railroad went one-way---north to the free states and thence to Canada. So you are wrong there.

2. You are half-right on your second point. You confused the Thirteenth Amendment, which abolished slavery and was ratified by the states in 1865, with the Fourteenth Amendment, which addresses the issue of citizenship, privileges and immunities, due process, and equal protection of the laws. Yes, that was ratified by the states in 1868. But you said slavery was not abolished until 1868, so you were wrong about that.

3. I have no comment on the random material you cut-and-pasted from Wikipedia. What does that have to do with churches?

4. Historians commonly agree that the Civil War began on 12 April 1865.

5. You are wrong about Ohio cooperating with enforcement of the Fugitive Slave Act. As proof, I present to you a link to the Acts of the General Assembly of the State of Ohio, Volume 54: "An Act to Prevent Slaveholding and Kidnapping in Ohio, 17 April 1857." https://books.google.com/books?id=S...ei=bl9UT4vMEeiB0QHU7YDVDQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Do you have any other faulty opinions regarding American history that you would like me to correct?

You are all over the place with this post. This topic is about churches, the confederate flag, and slavery.

1. If a church was sending African-Americans south to Florida, that church was not participating in the Underground Railroad. The Underground Railroad went one-way---north to the free states and thence to Canada. So you are wrong there.

2. You are half-right on your second point. You confused the Thirteenth Amendment, which abolished slavery and was ratified by the states in 1865, with the Fourteenth Amendment, which addresses the issue of citizenship, privileges and immunities, due process, and equal protection of the laws. Yes, that was ratified by the states in 1868. But you said slavery was not abolished until 1868, so you were wrong about that.

3. I have no comment on the random material you cut-and-pasted from Wikipedia. What does that have to do with churches?

4. Historians commonly agree that the Civil War began on 12 April 1865.

5. You are wrong about Ohio cooperating with enforcement of the Fugitive Slave Act. As proof, I present to you a link to the Acts of the General Assembly of the State of Ohio, Volume 54: "An Act to Prevent Slaveholding and Kidnapping in Ohio, 17 April 1857." https://books.google.com/books?id=S...ei=bl9UT4vMEeiB0QHU7YDVDQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Do you have any other faulty opinions regarding American history that you would like me to correct?
Anyone worth a damn doesn't have as much time to blog on a website as much as you do.

You really should get out of your momma's basement more often.

There was an UNDERGROUND railroad to freedom that went to south Florida as well as Canada.
Here's a link, 'professor'
http://onlineathens.com/local-news/...nderground-railroad-ran-south-spanish-florida
Again, you are wrong.

The very fact that the Act of 1850 put people as far away as Boston in a legal quandary for not
reporting escaped slaves showed nationwide complicity in this peculiar institution.

Your point number 4 was wrong. Here's the CORRECT answer:
The war BEGAN on April 12, 1861. Notice the 1 at the end.

My point is Lincoln is furiously trying to end slavery quickly up North in the last hold-outs in order to put
a new slant on things once he sees that his glorious war is not starting out right. And the contraband act only
enforces that viewpoint.

It took the 13th AND the 14th to get rid of Slavery. Sell it how you will. The truth doesn't bear it out.

The "story" or "narrative" almost always trumps the truth (aka the whole truth). And part of our problem with that is our addiction to entertainment. We (most people) much prefer to be entertained over being informed. One is fun. The other is boring. Whether we're reading a technical manual or a history book, chances are very strong that it was written by someone chosen as much for their wordsmith abilities as for their knowledge of the material presented. We (most of us) have a hard time presenting our "truth" without spinning a few facts and/or leaving out a few others. "We the people" are a special (mostly self serving) bunch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT