ADVERTISEMENT

Couple of comments after rewatching the Mz game

DawgWCK

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2001
1. Don’t underestimate or minimize a week off late in season, Mz was fresh and their staff had some twist they used with success, especially on defense.
2. Farchild and Truss passed off rushing defenders to air resulting in sacks or QB hurries that cost us possessions. Farchild Miss was really troubling as it was a 3rd down play and we had an open receiver.
3. Mz defensive philosophy was run twist, dogs and blitzes from every angle. Really good job in stopping possessions but resulted in big plays at times.
4. I thought Morris really looked good at guard. Not sure why we don’t rotate all 3 instead of just him and Farchild, I don’t see much difference in the 3.
5. I thought Beck again didn’t see the field as good at times as he should. Regardless, overall a solid game.
6. First time this year we played the 3 corner backs at the same time. 17, 6 and 3 with 22 and 24 as safeties certainly seems like a better nickel coverage scheme to me.
7. Our young LB’s (5 and 33) will be good but good gravy they are raw. They get caught up in clutter then don’t finish tackles but they certainly can move.
8. Great to have #93 back, moves good and plays his position.
9. Return game was solid, set us up with 7-8 yards up field than normal. Critical in tight games. Also great play by #83, hopefully he develops into a # 84.
10. Several guys seem to be missing yesterday or didn’t get their usual # of reps - #18 on defense and # 18 on offense, # 86 @ RB, # 52 and # 44. I think all played for 3-5 less snaps. Of course # 17, # 33, # 5 , # 11 and # 26 played more.

11. We flat out smoked the Mz running back 4 or 5 times. No way he runs as effectively next week VS Tenn. ( I expect Tenn to win as I think we beat Mz up pretty good and their depth is limited at best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News