ADVERTISEMENT

Few thoughts

CoastalVADawg

Pillar of the DawgVent
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2019
Gutsy win last night in a very long game. You can’t say enough about Georgia’s bats and boy did they need them last night.

Defensive miscues are becoming all too common and costly, keeping opponents in the game. Particularly Alford at 2B and Toetz in LF are becoming liabilities at those positions.

With regard to Alford, I’m not convinced they need his bat in the lineup right now. He swings at and chases everything. I realize he has power but strikeouts are becoming much more frequent than hits. If anything he should be DH and bat 8th or 9th. Toetz playing LF has likely been more a necessity with both Phelps and Carter being limited, but It looks like both players are back to 100%. Hopefully that means Phelps can play OF and Toetz can move to 2B. Collins didn’t have a great night at first but he also made some great recoveries. He is usually a solid first baseman so I’m not too worried.

One thing I do question, now that I think about it, is why hasn’t Collins been playing OF (a position he has played a lot of in his career and actually plays well) instead of Toetz during these injuries? I’m not sure why the OF hasn’t been Goldstein, Chadwick, Collins. The infield could have been Condon, Branch, Toetz, Alford. To me that makes more sense.

With regards to Phelps - this young man is special. He can play shirtless for all I care.

Kolten Smith is one of the best pitchers right now in the conference . I thought he would be a weekend starter by now. He needs to start. Not sure why they went with Evans over Smith in what I thought was a critical game one. I figured Evans would likely go Sunday. Evans is really hit or miss right now.

We saw flashes of good Mracna last night. I think his issues are mental right now. I think all the social media attention has him spooked and Johnson is trying to get him refocused. Only way to do that is pitch him. Georgia is going to need him in the post-season.

Chandler Marsh. Need I say more?

Carolina HC Kingston is a little bi$& for going after Gonzo and barking about players being HBP. He should have been ejected. Why would Georgia intentionally hit batters with such a big lead? And by the way, USC pitchers hit their fair share of UGA batters and you didn’t see Johnson run out of the dugout with a box of tampons.

Lastly, and this goes without saying, Gonzo is the consummate professional in the way he maintains a relationship with the ump, batters, and the opposing catcher.

One more thing. These games are too long. CBB needs to do something about the bats and balls. Enough. Also, something needs to be done about the strike zone. Life has to suck for college pitchers with batters having every advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News