ADVERTISEMENT

Fun fact: if you feel like life in general used to be a lot better, it's not your imagination. 1983 the median income...

BaronVonHeinsteidel

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2007
was 24,580. That would translate into 77,414 today

Today, the median income is 44,225. Just 57% of what the median income was in '83 when adjusted for inflation.

It dawned on me recently when I noticed people in Kirkwood and Decatur paying waaaaay too much to live like regular people did in the early 80's.

Also, I think standards were just generally better then, too. I remember people wearing suits when they went to chain restaurants like Sizzler, Western Sizzlin and Steak & Ale. I couldn't imagine that level of pride in going to a Applebee's. Applebee's is really only good for Dollaritas and watching someone getting beat up for no good reason.

Last edited:

Today, the median income is 44,225. Just 57% of what the median income was in '83 when adjusted for inflation.

It dawned on me recently when I noticed people in Kirkwood and Decatur paying waaaaay too much to live like regular people did in the early 80's.

Also, I think standards were just generally better then, too. I remember people wearing suits when they went to chain restaurants like Sizzler, Western Sizzlin and Steak & Ale. I couldn't mind that level of pride in going to a Applebee's. Applebee's is really only good for Dollaritas and watching someone getting starched for no good reason.
People wore suits when flying too, different times.

Obligatory:
season 13 GIF

Reactions: nice marmot

Also, I think standards were just generally better then, too. I remember people wearing suits when they went to chain restaurants like Sizzler, Western Sizzlin and Steak & Ale. I couldn't mind that level of pride in going to a Applebee's. Applebee's is really only good for Dollaritas and watching someone getting starched for no good reason.
Shhhhh ... you're not supposed to notice and certainly not supposed to mention it.

Also, I think standards were just generally better then, too. I remember people wearing suits when they went to chain restaurants like Sizzler, Western Sizzlin and Steak & Ale. I couldn't imagine that level of pride in going to a Applebee's. Applebee's is really only good for Dollaritas and watching someone getting beat up for no good reason.
If you are at Applebee's and get beat up...there was a reason.

Individually or by household?
As for households, the median income is 74K in 2022. It was $20,884 in 1983. Per the Census Bureau that is. Adjusted for inflation that would be $55k, again per the CB.

Link: https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2023/demo/income-poverty/p60-279.html
Link: https://www.multpl.com/us-median-income/table/by-year

Not trying to be the "well actshually" guy just noting that median household and individual may be different. I too have seen the standards fall off a cliff. Remember air travel? But also we are able to take more flights than I remember. A lot of things are cheaper (electronics, clothing, domestic tickets) but so many things that didn't kill us cost wise (food, shelter) are now beyond the pale. I see folks learning to cook again since the cost of eating out is through the roof and not getting better. Restaurants are charging 3.99 for a Coke or regular coffee.

As for households, the median income is 74K in 2022. It was $20,884 in 1983. Per the Census Bureau that is. Adjusted for inflation that would be $55k, again per the CB.

Not trying to be the "well actshually" guy just noting that median household and individual may be different. I too have seen the standards fall off a cliff. Remember air travel? But also we are able to take more flights than I remember. A lot of things are cheaper (electronics, clothing, domestic tickets) but so many things that didn't kill us cost wise (food, shelter) are now beyond the pale. I see folks learning to cook again since the cost of eating out is through the roof and not getting better. Restaurants are charging 3.99 for a Coke or regular coffee.
Individually. I got it from The World Population Review.

Air travel when I was a kid was very much a part of the vacation itself. I was saddened to see that fried chicken wasn't automatically served on planes as an adult.

1983 was the first full year I spent in the regular job world after I blew my knee up and couldn't run pro track anymore. I made $8 an hour working in my friend's cabinet shop. That is what almost everybody was making there. We could eat and pay rent on that. I did have money stashed though.
I was using my GI Bill to finish school at night. I had a kid too. If it had not been for my ex wife's mom living close and getting my daughter after school, it woulda been complete overload. But it worked.
God bless anybody trying to do that now.

Last edited:
1983 was the first full year I spent in the regular job world after I blew my knee up and couldn't run pro track anymore. I made $8 an hour working in my friend's cabinet shop. That is what almost everybody was making there. We could eat and pay rent on that. I did have money stashed though.
I was using my GI Bill to finish school at night. I had a kid too. If it had not been for my ex wife's mom living close and getting my daughter after school, it woulda been complete overload. But it worked.
God bless anybody trying to do that now.
I was making around 12 an hour working in maintenance at Rheem.

Air travel when I was a kid was very much a part of the vacation itself. I was saddened to see that fried chicken wasn't automatically served on planes as an adult.
The last decent meal I had on a plane was a burger with everything on it (it was cooked well done, but they didn't have a grill on any of the jets I've flown on 🙂). I'll just say that it was more than a few years ago.

Yeah, this is just not right.

1983 Mean: $20k and $60k in 2023 dollars
2023 Mean: $74k

At least maybe looks up a source or two before posting some stuff that’s just not close.

Per this site it’s higher. $64586

I'm no economist. But I had a supervisor who used to say, "I'd be glad to go back to 1960's wages, if things went back to 60's prices".

House, car payment, groceries etc. on 1 income.

If average income is 70k, I need to have a talk with my church board.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
I'm no economist. But I had a supervisor who used to say, "I'd be glad to go back to 1960's wages, if things went back to 60's prices".

The average home was 1,500 square feet.
Over 50% of families only had 1 car.
Only 12% of homes had AC and 20% of cars.
Not to mention, heart surgery and cancer treatments were in their infancy or yet to be invented.
Cars didn't have seatbelts and the vehicle death rate was much higher.
Life expectancy was a full decade less than today.
Hell, there was only 1 college football game on TV per week!

Man I was making 100 a week and my wife was making 50. We were living like royalty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT