ADVERTISEMENT

Guy camps out at the Falcons' training camp

Radi Nabulsi

Publisher
Staff
Nov 17, 2003
FLOWERY BRANCH, GA (WXIA) -- A football player, let go from the Atlanta Falcons after training camp last fall is asking for a second chance.

Donte Rumph is camping by the training facility in Flowery Branch to show his commitment.

"My name is Dante Rumph, better known as Cupcake," he said. "I know you're wondering why I'm camping out in front of the Atlanta Falcons. It gets to be a numbers game for us.

Rumph says his family doesn't have a home right now, so he's asking for his job back. He told 11Alive's Rebecca Lindstrom he is also hoping to inspire.

"It's say four for Rumph and his fiancé Jess Love. They're camped in Flowery Branch in a park across from the Falcons training facility.

Rumph says he's homeless, but it's not money that makes you rich. He says the kids he talked with this weekend made some signs – proof to him they understand his message. Commit. Believe. Follow your dreams.

"We're doing this to motivate and inspire people," he said.

Some friends helped create a video telling Rumph's story. He was cut just months after signing with the Falcons and says his agent also let him lose without notice, leaving opportunities with other teams unanswered until it was too late.

"I was released last year after camp, went through some hard times. Could not, really focus, I kind of lost myself in the midst of it all," he said.

But now Rumph says he's ready to rise up, camping near the training facility to show them he's not giving up. Using what he can to stay in shape.

He says he wants the Falcons to see him as a potential player – and a positive role model.

"My grandmother always told me if you want something you've got to claim it," Rumph said. "This is me reclaiming my position with the Falcons."

Rumph said he would continue to camp out until he got a call. And he did – not from the Falcons, but from the New York Jets. They're flying him to one of their tryout camps.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT