ADVERTISEMENT

How much to tear down a house? Anybody know any reclaimed wood people that

BullochDawg

War Daddy
May 29, 2001
Would tear down the place for the wood?
The hotel my great grandfather built in late 1800's needs to come down.
Large building with 120+ yr old wood, doors, window, etc.

I know a guy with a reclamation mill here, he buys some wood...

from old mills and re planes it into flooring. Most of these guys don't tear down the whole building for the wood but they will generally pay something for the wood if it is what they are looking for. They are usually looking for large beams and thick floor boards like those used in old mills and industrial buildings.

Doors and windows are a tough sell, it's hard to reuse them. Where is this hotel?

I'm terrible at guesstimates but I'd say 100x40 2-story hotel. It has 10

bedrooms upstairs so it's good size.

Yep, saving that as my last option. A lot of nice old wood there. Hate to

see it go to waste, but I'm not going to pay $k's to tear it down.

Is there any way it can be saved and restored? I'd think that it...

... having been built in the late-1800s might be reason enough to even get it registered as a historic site. I think funding may come available to help restore/upkeep places on the registry.

I hate seeing old buildings torn down, especially those from that era. They usually had way more character and class than buildings which are built, today. I realize that we, Americans, build many of our structures out of wood. If the structure isn't maintained throughout its entire life, it will fall into disrepair.

I would guess that there would be some reclaimed wood folk who would be interested. Where is the structure located?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT