ADVERTISEMENT

Lettuce discuss camera speeding tickets in school zones.

poorpreacher

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2003
I say they are a racket.

Typically a private company owns the camera and detection device. They install the equipment and catch the speeder. The local LE reviews the info, and then the ticket is sent. The speeder pays the company.

The company gets a cut and the city or county gets a cut. Real convenient money making scheme, in the name of school safety.

Ga law requires city and county officers to be visible for 500 feet, to run speed detection devices. Cameras/detection devices in the school.zones are excluded.

Ga law requires speed detection devices to be calibrated at regular intervals. Detection devices/cameras in school zones are also excluded from this code.

If it REALLY was about safety, private business wouldn't be involved and there wouldn't be a different set of rules for camera tickets.

And yes, I just got one on the mail!

I say they are a racket.

Typically a private company owns the camera and detection device. They install the equipment and catch the speeder. The local LE reviews the info, and then the ticket is sent. The speeder pays the company.

The company gets a cut and the city or county gets a cut. Real convenient money making scheme, in the name of school safety.

Ga law requires city and county officers to be visible for 500 feet, to run speed detection devices. Cameras/detection devices in the school.zones are excluded.

Ga law requires speed detection devices to be calibrated at regular intervals. Detection devices/cameras in school zones are also excluded from this code.

If it REALLY was about safety, private business wouldn't be involved and there wouldn't be a different set of rules for camera tickets.

agreed! other, similar rackets: for-profit prisons, paid probation.

I say they are a racket.

We got a bunch in mail this week for our business, several were 43 in a 35 Zone @ 5:00 am in the morning with no traffic, is that even speeding????

I say they are a racket.

I got one from a school bus after they first started installing them. I was going the opposite direction from the bus. It had started slowing and just put its flashing lights on. As I went past it, probably 30 yards from its stop, I saw the stinking repressed communist authoritarian shoe clerk bastard throw the sign lever forward which I assume triggers the cameras. A few weeks later I got a letter with color pictures of the front and rear of my car with tag number and a side picture of me. I sent them the $300. I think here in Cobb the bus cameras have been disabled for a couple years. For a while every time I passed that bus I’d give the fat bastard the bird, only because I couldn’t moon him while driving.

Reactions: Dawgfan1966
I say they are a racket.

I do not like traffic enforcement po-po. It’s primarily nothing but legalized grift and there’s little proof it makes roads “safer.” Mostly hi-way cops are targeting certain vehicles hoping to find cash or an illegal substance to justify their wasted energy and tax dollars. They would stop more crime, arrest more offenders, increase safety, by patrolling neighborhoods just being visible vs sitting on their asses trying to catch speeders. I detest any camera enforcement for several reasons. Complete racket, IMO.

Well, there is one at my wife's school which is on the main road, but luckily the officer that reviews the videos is also my Pastor. Had a few warnings but never sent us a ticket. I think it helps keep the speed down quite a bit otherwise people were blowing through the area.

Here is my deal on this issue.

Its a safety thing right? Well, I got the ticket at 9:45 am. School has started. Buses aren't coming in. Parents aren't coming in. Kids aren't coming in. There wasn't a student in sight. There wasn't another car in sight.....you can see on the video. The road is absolutely clear.

It was a 45 mph zone
The law says you have to be more than 10 mph over...More than 10 now. I was 11.

1 mph less and I don't get a ticket. 1 mph less and I don't get a ticket by a machine that doesn't have to be checked for accuracy, and has no regulation for maintenance etc.

I say it is entirely possible, Your Honor, that I was going 55.4 mph, and NOT 56, as I have been accused.

You can bet your sweet petunia that I'm going to court....IF nothing else to see how the process works. I want to know if the officer will show up.........And if he has anything besides, "You are guilty, because the camera said so".

I think it’s both IMO. It does, generally, slow people down through the school zones having the signage for enforcement and locals knowing they’re there. Not to mention the alerts you get on Waze, Google, etc when approaching them. But it’s definitely a money maker as well no doubt.

I’m not super familiar with them as they weren’t in the jurisdictions I worked at but they have been popping up near where we live. I’m sure I’ll be just as annoyed when I get my first $80 fine in the mail. But I’ll take 5 of these civil camera tickets over 1 normal speeding ticket any day. At least these don’t affect license, insurance rates, etc. Let us know how the court process goes.

You don’t have access to the courts. You can request a hearing with the cop. It also doesn’t go on your record. Also some are better marked than others. They record during non school hours and some of them will surprise you.

Reactions: TheRealJohnCooper
Here is my deal on this issue.

Its a safety thing right? Well, I got the ticket at 9:45 am. School has started. Buses aren't coming in. Parents aren't coming in. Kids aren't coming in. There wasn't a student in sight. There wasn't another car in sight.....you can see on the video. The road is absolutely clear.

It was a 45 mph zone
The law says you have to be more than 10 mph over...More than 10 now. I was 11.

1 mph less and I don't get a ticket. 1 mph less and I don't get a ticket by a machine that doesn't have to be checked for accuracy, and has no regulation for maintenance etc.

I say it is entirely possible, Your Honor, that I was going 55.4 mph, and NOT 56, as I have been accused.

You can bet your sweet petunia that I'm going to court....IF nothing else to see how the process works. I want to know if the officer will show up.........And if he has anything besides, "You are guilty, because the camera said so".
That’s not true. In school zones you can be cited for one mile per hour over. I’m not arguing with you on your original point. Think about the best way to argue you’re out of this. I bet you are smart enough to figure it out. I still stand by my stance on you. You’re the grumpiest preacher I’ve ever known. Your handle should be grumpypreacher.

I think it’s both IMO. It does, generally, slow people down through the school zones having the signage for enforcement and locals knowing they’re there. Not to mention the alerts you get on Waze, Google, etc when approaching them. But it’s definitely a money maker as well no doubt.

I’m not super familiar with them as they weren’t in the jurisdictions I worked at but they have been popping up near where we live. I’m sure I’ll be just as annoyed when I get my first $80 fine in the mail. But I’ll take 5 of these civil camera tickets over 1 normal speeding ticket any day. At least these don’t affect license, insurance rates, etc. Let us know how the court process goes.
This ^

You don’t have access to the courts. You can request a hearing with the cop. It also doesn’t go on your record. Also some are better marked than others. They record during non school hours and some of them will surprise you.

I want to see how the hearing works. I'm not from the area where I got the ticket. Dont pass through there regularly. Fully expect to pay the fine, that will be worth seeing the racket unfold.

Interesting to see who conducts the hearing.

i like the intersection cameras. When I worked in atl, there were several intersection that were ridiculous for late red light runners. They got tickets. Less dangerous commute.

now if we could only find a cure for people who drive in the turning lane only to ”change their mind” at the last minute and cut over and drive straight, I’d be happy. Years of coming down Ponce, I didn’t get beat once, but I’d let someone with a non local tag get a pass.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT