ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Most Overated Movie You've Ever Seen....

The beautiful thing about these types of discussions is that there is no wrong answer. Whether movies (and all stories regardless of the media through which they are told) are good or bad is completely subjective. Candidly, I think there are some crazy answers in this thread. People hate movies I love. Some of those movies I love are "good films", others are just fun movies. I won't criticize any of those folks because it is subjective and I know there are movies they love that I hate. A guy I used to work with captioned this well in discussing music. His point was that he never criticized what anyone has on their iPod (tells you how old this story is) because all of us have some cheesy crap on our iPod, so no need to take it down that rabbit hole. He was a nutty guy, but I thought this was well said and applies here.

I say that as a lead in to object to the point "there's no question he's incredibly gifted and one of the world's best" point. There are many that agree with that. To me, no, I don't see one of the world's best. I've not seen many of his movies (Boogie Nights was entertaining, but not great, and There Will be Blood was just horrible - we couldn't even finish it - as much as I love DDL, all his rambling monologues was torture), but the descriptions of the stories aren't appealing and I don't want to see any of his other movies (looked at IMDb just to see what else was there). Frankly, I hadn't heard of his other movies besides Punch Drunk Love, which doesn't appeal to me. If that's what you enjoy - awesome, I'm glad they are there for you. But it is extreme to say there is no question he is one of the world's best - just have to disagree there. Of course, maybe I'll love his next couple movies and change my mind.

On a side note, I'd like to add The Irishman to this conversation. Way too long telling a story with very little substance to it. The bit about painting and an assassin in the mob was intriguing. But him playing peacemaker between the mob and Hoffa when it is plan as day from the beginning that he will kill Hoffa (because we all know that story) - it was very overrated. And I was really excited to watch that movie, but it was a huge letdown.

I work in the industry and it’s my artistic medium. PT Anderson is one of the best living filmmakers, if you understand the craft. Like I said, I even hate one of his movies. But his filmography and accomplishments are ridiculous.

I work in the industry and it’s my artistic medium. PT Anderson is one of the best living filmmakers, if you understand the craft. Like I said, I even hate one of his movies. But his filmography and accomplishments are ridiculous.
I get the artistic side, I really do. I like some of the more artistic films, though I certainly don't lean that way. Given your perspective from within the industry, you are much better positioned to speak to those issues. But that perspective isn't the only one. I will use an analogy from m profession.

I'm a lawyer, and though I am not a litigator I did begin my career in litigation. I've worked with and observed some lawyers who can put together amazing technical arguments based upon excellent, detailed research, etc. And yet, some of those lawyers cannot connect to a jury and get their point across. Sometimes they can't even connect to a judge (who has the same technical training) and get the point across. These people are great lawyers technically, but they aren't great lawyers (at least from my perspective since their job is to make those connections). I see filmmakers the same way.

PT Anderson (or whoever else) may be fantastic at a lot of technical aspects of filmmaking. And I certainly have no problem with those who view him as great for those reasons (or whatever other reasons). But if he doesn't tell compelling stories in a compelling way, none of that technical proficiency matters (at least to me). And I do not believe I am alone in this. I believe many filmmakers (like many lawyers) often forget who (or how broad) their audience (or potential audience) is. That does not mean that you have to dumb yourself down and just make movies with action and explosions. But I do believe the great ones can maintain technical accomplishment while connecting with broader audiences. Some, including many non-industry folk, may well see that in PTA. But I do not.

Again, just my take. And really only providing it in case it might be helpful as you continue down your career path. If there is anything you have worked on that we should see, please do let me know.

We
Dude........ He has only directed 9 movies. Plain and simple..... He had 2 kill bills, not 3. He didn't direct Sin City. That knocks your list down to 9, which is the correct number lol Every director has produced, written, worked with multiple movies, but it doesn't mean that have directed them. Tarantino has acted as director on 9 movies.
well dude...google “how many films has Tarantino directed” and see what you get (16), and they say he absolutely directed sin city, so... Argue with them, not me.
If you search “how many films has Tarantino written and directed” then you get the number you speak of (it actually says 10, but they are counting the one to come). Have a great day

Last edited:
We

well dude...google “how many films has Tarantino directed” and see what you get (16), and they say he absolutely directed sin city, so... Argue with them, not me.
If you search “how many films has Tarantino written and directed” then you get the number you speak of (it actually says 10, but they are counting the one to come). Have a great day

Buddy, dude, bro, he DID NOT direct Sin City. He got a "special director credit" Which means he came for like a day and likely adivised. Here is a wiki quote: Three directors received credit for Sin City: Miller, Rodriguez, and Quentin Tarantino, the last for directing the drive-to-the-pits scene in which Dwight talks with a dead Jack Rafferty (Benicio del Toro). Miller and Rodriguez worked as a team directing the rest of the film. He literally directed a scene.....

The dude is an ego maniac so if he directed the movie he would've made sure he got full credit for it. A couple of his buddies made it, not him. He's direceted 9 movies. He has stated this in multiple interviews, and also stated that he would retire after 10, which is why there are a million articles about people trying to figure out what the 10th will be. You have a great day as well, sir.

Buddy, dude, bro, he DID NOT direct Sin City. He got a "special director credit" Which means he came for like a day and likely adivised. Here is a wiki quote: Three directors received credit for Sin City: Miller, Rodriguez, and Quentin Tarantino, the last for directing the drive-to-the-pits scene in which Dwight talks with a dead Jack Rafferty (Benicio del Toro). Miller and Rodriguez worked as a team directing the rest of the film. He literally directed a scene.....

The dude is an ego maniac so if he directed the movie he would've made sure he got full credit for it. A couple of his buddies made it, not him. He's direceted 9 movies. He has stated this in multiple interviews, and also stated that he would retire after 10, which is why there are a million articles about people trying to figure out what the 10th will be. You have a great day as well, sir.
Lol, didn’t read your diatribe, look it up on google for my response. Either way your on ignore. So any further arguments you will be having by yourself. Pretty sure you won’t win that one either.;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT