ADVERTISEMENT

Not sure if y’all are keeping up with it, but 14 kids killed….

ARs are great self defense weapons. Try this little experiment. Load a paintball gun with 6 rounds and give someone a plastic knife and tell them to attack you from about 20 yards away by running a zig zag pattern. Spoiler...It's really hard to hit a quickly and erratically moving target.

Then, load the paintball gun with 50 rounds and try the same experiment again with the extra rounds and ability to shoot quickly. Spoiler...Your chances of hitting a target goes way up and the chances of a perp continuing to attack thru a barrage of projectiles is reduced.

So, when you call 911 in an emergency situation, you can expect a response time of between 3 to 15 minutes. For a lot of reasons, the AR is a great tool for holding off an attacker during the wait for help.
A shotgun with a five shell capacity of buckshot would be a much better option at stopping the assailant in your scenario and would also be much less likely to cause collateral damage to surrounding houses.

By your logic, why not just make fully auto weapons legal and accessible?

Reactions: shonuff253
Good grief man, I'm sort of on your side and don't really blame any individual officer for failing to take the initiative of staging a frontal assault on the perp. I also understand chain of command and the front line officers needed good info and orders on which to act.

Having said that, it appears the chain of command in this situation was FUBAR. There should have been someone coordinating communications and the person in charge ORDERING officers to enter at the best possible location and directing them to the perp.

I also understand the officers may have taken a pause in the shooting as an opportunity to assess the situation but it didn't take the border patrol agent long to figure out a plan of attack. Also, if there was a good reason for the actions of the locals, it should have been easily communicated to the governor.
I don't disagree with much of your post. My only point is that these poor bastards made decisions -- or failed to make decisions, however you want to look at it -- in the heat of the moment, under incredibly stressful conditions, and millions of keyboard warriors are out there discussing their cowardice. The public truly won't need to beat these guys up because they'll probably be doing it to themselves for the rest of their lives, not to mention dealing with the PTSD from witnessing that many mutilated child bodies. This was a lose/lose situation all the way around. It absolutely could have been handled better. No question. But I'm not going to criticize men under that kind of stress and danger without having been there myself. The blame falls at the feet of the murderous bastard that killed these children. Additionally, my heart goes out to that teacher that propped the door open. The guilt she is going to have to live with is unimaginable and I would guess neverending.

Reactions: Dirty Hairy Dawg
That it is used in the majority of mass shootings.

Why not focus on both? Fewer incidents and less destructive.
Popular usage of something is a horrible justification for banning it. That's why the conversation always ends up with confiscation.

Focusing on 1 specific type of firearm is too narrow in scope to address the problem. Taking that 1 type off the table just results in the next most popular taking the spotlight then we rinse and repeat for however long it takes.

Alternatively, say there's no clear prevailing popular weapon of choice. Do we then ignore the problem?

Still weak on facts. You can't spew facts while using a bunch of maybes and mights.

This wasn't a bunch of 18 year olds, it was 1. That's a fact.

Also, how are you going to say we have inadequate mental health services yet hope this guy magically finds himself in a better place 3 years from now? Why don't you discuss why he's the way he is right now and other young shooters in the past? Why isn't their a focus on identifying root causes and dealing with them directly instead of reacting by pushing drugs on kids?

I think if someone is already so far gone as to have slaughter on their mind in planning stages that they are having more than a bad day where they'll be better in the future. Yes, he asked for help getting a weapon and was denied. He also waited patiently to legally purchase on his own. He didn't just snap because the drive-thru got his order wrong or some other trigger.

That's why we need to dig deeper than lame actions like raising the age of purchase that seek to delay and hope things change in the meantime. You still can't see the difference between a young person making a mistake in usage of an item vs willfully using an item to cause harm so until you acknowledge that difference your opinions will miss the mark.

I agree we need stronger mental health action, but why do we need to divert law enforcement funding when there's so much other unnecessary spending? Yet another reason why nothing gets done. You said one solution doesn't preclude another yet you want to compromise the primary solution already in place that is inadequate law enforcement. How about both need strengthening to better address these issues.

The basis of DNC operation is to hold one idea hostage to get their way on another. Republicans play the same game, but on these issues their primary focus has been to defend our constitutional rights against DNC attack. The flaw on the GOP side is not many viable solutions seem to get pushed from their side so both parties suck IMO. You'll hear reasonable retorts from the GOP, but minimal political action if any.
The average age of the shooter in the thirteen worst school shootings was eighteen. That is also a fact.

We as a society restrict all sorts of freedoms for the benefit of the greater good. Age to get a driver's license, drinking age, speed limits, DUI laws, airport TSA rules, the list is long. Do these laws impact people who can be expected to behave safely and reasonably to keep the rest of us safe from those who don't? Of course! That's how society works. I would add that there are much more persuasive arguments regarding access to transportation as a need and a right than there is an argument for access to guns.

The average age of the shooter in the thirteen worst school shootings was eighteen. That is also a fact.

We as a society restrict all sorts of freedoms for the benefit of the greater good. Age to get a driver's license, Drinking age, speed limits, DUI laws, airport TSA rules, the list is long. Do these laws impact people who can be expected to behave safely and reasonably to keep the rest of us safe from those who don't? Of course! That's how society works. I would add that there are much more persuasive arguments regarding access to transportation as a need and a right than there is an argument for access to guns.
I know the majority of shooters were 18. Already mentioned that as being an interesting thing about these shootings. Perhaps we need to dig into why.

Could you share with us how the weapons were obtained for those 13 shootings? How many were purchased legally by the shooter, given as a gift to the shooter, taken without permission from the owner by the shooter, or other?

ARs are great self defense weapons. Try this little experiment. Load a paintball gun with 6 rounds and give someone a plastic knife and tell them to attack you from about 20 yards away by running a zig zag pattern. Spoiler...It's really hard to hit a quickly and erratically moving target.

Then, load the paintball gun with 50 rounds and try the same experiment again with the extra rounds and ability to shoot quickly. Spoiler...Your chances of hitting a target goes way up and the chances of a perp continuing to attack thru a barrage of projectiles is reduced.

So, when you call 911 in an emergency situation, you can expect a response time of between 3 to 15 minutes. For a lot of reasons, the AR is a great tool for holding off an attacker during the wait for help

Popular usage of something is a horrible justification for banning it. That's why the conversation always ends up with confiscation.

Focusing on 1 specific type of firearm is too narrow in scope to address the problem. Taking that 1 type off the table just results in the next most popular taking the spotlight then we rinse and repeat for however long it takes.

Alternatively, say there's no clear prevailing popular weapon of choice. Do we then ignore the problem?
I dont understand why popular usage in heinous crimes is not justification for banning but o well.

We just see this differently and that is ok. I really believe that we (and all on here) want these killings to stop.

The truth is you will not convince me that the average American needs and deserves assault rifles and I will not convince you that trying to curtail ones ability to buy them does not infringe on your rights.

And for the record, I admit I don't know what I am talking about with guns, so I will say assault rifles. Maybe it is the stocks? I don't want people to shoot so many bullets in a short amount of time.

I hope that we can come to some agreement to make our kids and everyone safer

Have you seen all the states run by Dems?
This is the post I was responding to above. You decided you meant "cities" in Red States, which is fine and all - except that those cities (New Orleans and St. Louis, among others) are situated in states where it's a munitions free-for-all. We could continue to go back and forth. You will say it's Dim politics - Blue and Red - I will come back and point out that cities (blue and red) are prone to have concentrated poverty, gang activity, etc. that drives murder and firearm fatality rates. Also, these mass events are happening by and large in suburban districts.

Whatever, that is all pettifogging that leads us away from the core issue here.

I think the problem that people on the left want to see addressed on the right is the gun culture. You say it's "family values" or the death of the "nuclear family" - okay, maybe that is a contributor - but that seems like code and is in fact an entirely different issue, with a different set of solutions - and could take decades. We are talking about what we can do to address gun violence in this country NOW and specifically to address mass gun violence events.

This is the culture I am talking about (below). So how do you suggest we address that? How do we instill the same respect for guns that we were brought up to observe. The same concern for gun safety. etc.
s-l1600.jpg

I dont understand why popular usage in heinous crimes is not justification for banning but o well.

We just see this differently and that is ok. I really believe that we (and all on here) want these killings to stop.

The truth is you will not convince me that the average American needs and deserves assault rifles and I will not convince you that trying to curtail ones ability to buy them does not infringe on your rights.

And for the record, I admit I don't know what I am talking about with guns, so I will say assault rifles. Maybe it is the stocks? I don't want people to shoot so many bullets in a short amount of time.

I hope that we can come to some agreement to make our kids and everyone safer
I don't want people to shoot 1 bullet at anyone other than for self-defense.

I don't want people to shoot 1 bullet at anyone other than for self-defense.
me too but unfortunately that is not the world we live in. But for now, 1 at a time is a safer option in my opinion.

I suspect you know the answer to your own question and you are testing me to see if I am talking out of my back side (more than usual, I should say).
  1. Destructive force - The kinetic energy, and thus destructive force, of a 223 round greatly exceeds that of a pistol round. https://www.thetrace.org/2017/06/physics-deadly-bullets-assault-rifles/
  2. Magazine size - A typical hunting rifle has a five round capacity, for obvious reasons. There aren't many hunting scenarios where you are going to have a realistic third shot, and certainly not more than five. AR15s have thirty round clips and you can buy drum clips that hold one hundred rounds.
Combine the two factors above and you have a massive difference in killing power. Again, it's why so many mass shooter events feature an AR15 style weapon.

It's also notable that mass shootings went down during the 1994-2004 assault weapons ban, and then went way up after after the ban was removed. This could be correlation and not causation, but I suspect not.
Much of the kinetic energy you refer to is due to the barrel length and not the cartridge itself. A 10mm handgun round out of a 16” barrel has similar energy.
that being said, a handgun in 10mm would be much easier to conceal and operate in a close quarters fight.
a full size handgun in 10mm would have a magazine capacity of about 15 rounds.
All of this being said you could easily operate a pistol with multiple magazines almost as fast as an AR rifle.
so, do we go after pistol of a certain size or caliber next. Of course we do. Don’t take the bait.
we haven’t even started discussing the shotguns which are multiple times more destructive than either in close quarters.

There were many failures in these situations and many things that we could do to secure these schools and we need to focus of those because we know that works.
Let’s look at mental health which is the major denominator in all of these shootings. Why is this information not reported to the FBI so they can do an effective job with background checks?

Reactions: Dirty Hairy Dawg
A shotgun with a five shell capacity of buckshot would be a much better option at stopping the assailant in your scenario and would also be much less likely to cause collateral damage to surrounding houses.

Fully auto weapons are legal and accessible if you have enough money. Wealthy people own many of them. So is your argument that those with money and privilege are more responsible than the rest of us?

Fully auto weapons are legal and accessible if you have enough money. Wealthy people own many of them. So is your argument that those with money and privilege are more responsible than the rest of us?
absolutely not. Are they legal to buy? I am not in the market so i don't know. If they are legal, they should not be in my opinion.

absolutely not. Are they legal to buy? I am not in the market so i don't know. If they are legal, they should not be in my opinion.
As long and I pay for a $200 tax stamp from the government I can legally buy one this afternoon. Will have to wait for the paperwork to come back but it’s that simple. People do it everyday. I know people who legally own them. I even shoot some on a regular basis. They are a ton of fun, you should give it a try.

me too but unfortunately that is not the world we live in. But for now, 1 at a time is a safer option in my opinion.
Except for that one victim.

Now, does each individual have the right to self-defense?

Should the measures we take reduce the ability for people to defend themselves in this world you already acknowledged has violence that cannot be swept away?

Everything isn't about mass shootings. Mass shootings are the emotional trigger for us all and yet there are way more incidents that happen everyday where people are attacked. Some are able to successfully defend themselves while others fail. However, should everyone have the right to attempt self-defense?

Sweeping changes to specifically target mass shootings at schools could lead to difficulties in other areas of life. That's why my focus is on minimizing the problem as close to the source as possible rather than taking superficial actions that just make people feel like we did something.

Once again, I doubt you'd feel any better about a shooter with a shotgun in a classroom so the idea that banning AR15s falls short even as an incremental measure.

We must identify mental illness including the causes.

We must address the causes.

We must treat those identified and the restrictions on obtaining firearms should be a function of that treatment.

Too many innocent people will never accept having their rights stripped so chasing that rabbit is a waste of time.

As long and I pay for a $200 tax stamp from the government I can legally buy one this afternoon. Will have to wait for the paperwork to come back but it’s that simple. People do it everyday. I know people who legally own them. I even shoot some on a regular basis. They are a ton of fun, you should give it a try.
i am sure it is but guns just aren't my thing . Plenty of other interests. Raising 2 kids, when i have free time there is other stuff i would rather do. I don't hold it against people that enjoy guns, just not my thing.

Hope we can come to some compromise.

Sorry, I didn’t make my point clear. They are legal, but they are more highly regulated than a semi-auto AR15.

I don’t own one but have friends who do and they are fun to shoot.

This is the post I was responding to above. You decided you meant "cities" in Red States, which is fine and all - except that those cities (New Orleans and St. Louis, among others) are situated in states where it's a munitions free-for-all. We could continue to go back and forth. You will say it's Dim politics - Blue and Red - I will come back and point out that cities (blue and red) are prone to have concentrated poverty, gang activity, etc. that drives murder and firearm fatality rates. Also, these mass events are happening by and large in suburban districts.

Whatever, that is all pettifogging that leads us away from the core issue here.

I think the problem that people on the left want to see addressed on the right is the gun culture. You say it's "family values" or the death of the "nuclear family" - okay, maybe that is a contributor - but that seems like code and is in fact an entirely different issue, with a different set of solutions - and could take decades. We are talking about what we can do to address gun violence in this country NOW and specifically to address mass gun violence events.

This is the culture I am talking about (below). So how do you suggest we address that? How do we instill the same respect for guns that we were brought up to observe. The same concern for gun safety. etc.
s-l1600.jpg
Of course you could point out in these ‘high crime’ inner cities that everyone has guns, which is why gun violence is higher, but the solution, according to some, is more guns to protect themselves from guns…

Reactions: nice marmot

I have a short barrel shot gun for in home defense. No argument at all that shot guns are effective self defense weapons in some scenarios. However, if I'm trying to hold off a group of rioters until help arrives, I'm breaking out the AR.

My position on high capacity mags isn't as hardened as many but I do think folks with no criminal record or history of bat shit craziness have a right to own the best weapon for defending themselves since we can't count on the police to show up in time, every time. The point of my post was more about rifles. An AR is an infinitely better choice for personal defense than a lever action rifle.

Well people can have different opinions. That is what makes this country great. And yes, I sin everyday but the official stance is against the death penalty.

On August 2, 2018, the Vatican announced that it had formally changed the official Catechism of the Catholic Church on the death penalty, calling capital punishment “an attack on the inviolability and dignity of the person” and deeming it “inadmissible” in all cases.
And my apologies, I did not intend to start a religious discussion. I was asked to give one democratic position I agreed with.
I’m old church. The people they got now are awful.

Easy to call people a coward from the safety of your keyboard. A lot more difficult to go charging in a room where 3 cops were already shot trying to go in. I don't know what happened and neither do you, but self-preservation is a powerful instinct. Like I said, too bad your bravery wasn't on station instead of those cowardly cops.
It’s shown up in more than one scenario, I stand by what I said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT