ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio and surrounding states

Dawg 'n IT

War Daddy
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2002
I mentioned the train derailment a few times but still haven't seen much national coverage of the aftermath.

Does anyone know anyone near East Palestine, OH who can confirm what's going on?

Derailments in Texas and South Carolina today. No details on hazardous materials.

I mentioned the train derailment a few times but still haven't seen much national coverage of the aftermath.
Senator Vance has a statement out. If you google "Ohio East Palestine" there are plenty of articles.

Here is this > https://finance.yahoo.com/news/norfolk-southern-giving-25-000-200000640.html

It's not coverage lacking, it's people caring, it seems.

That and no doubt the time it takes to get quality coverage of the aftermath of something like this. I am willing to be there is at least one documentarian on the scene.

Senator Vance has a statement out. If you google "Ohio East Palestine" there are plenty of articles.

Here is this > https://finance.yahoo.com/news/norfolk-southern-giving-25-000-200000640.html

It's not coverage lacking, it's people caring, it seems.

That and no doubt the time it takes to get quality coverage of the aftermath of something like this. I am willing to be there is at least one documentarian on the scene.
All MSM outlets made casual mention of the accident, but there's no significant coverage of the aftermath including displaced people needing assistance.

Does anyone know anyone near East Palestine, OH who can confirm what's going on?

The guy at the bottom has a pretty good take on this thing. I have also heard reports from that area where people's animals and pets are dying from exposure to this mess. I have not heard about human casualties but would not be surprised for that to happen now and in the future from chronic health issues caused here.

The guy at the bottom has a pretty good take on this thing. I have also heard reports from that area where people's animals and pets are dying from exposure to this mess. I have not heard about human casualties but would not be surprised for that to happen now and in the future from chronic health issues caused here.
well, this is why environmentally concerned people (as opposed to environmental activists) were howling when Trump rolled back protections. Not saying the EPA doesn't overreach, but corporate oversight is important or this is happening everyday in less headline worthy ways.

Reactions: shonuff253
All MSM outlets made casual mention of the accident, but there's no significant coverage of the aftermath including displaced people needing assistance.
I was wondering what you might mean, since we've all heard about it - you mean television news stations, which are not worth our time.

EDIT: there are a bunch of bot accounts on twitter repeating this concern - i.e. that no one is paying attention.

Obviously, Gov't agencies local, state, and national are. Plenty of print news media are.

etc

Reactions: shonuff253
well, this is why environmentally concerned people (as opposed to environmental activists) were howling when Trump rolled back protections. Not saying the EPA doesn't overreach, but corporate oversight is important or this is happening everyday in less headline worthy ways.
giphy.gif

take, for instance, the Ogeechee river...
Deer lowered. That has nothing to do with a train derailment with hazardous chemicals that was intentionally set of fire and created a huge ecological disaster, while government officials assure us everything is just fine.
There was another train derailment in 2012 with the same toxic chemicals. What did Obama do to prevent this one?
Put down the the Trump syringe for 2 seconds. It doesn’t always have to be about him.

"Phosgene is one of the combustion products of VCM, Vinyl Chloride Monomer.

The choice they had to make on this spill wasn't easy and there were no safe outcomes. VCM is a carcinogen, so allowing it to vaporize and spread would be lethal to a lot of people.

Burning it off creates four products: HCL 27,000 ppm; CO2 58,100 ppm; CO 9500 ppm; phosgene 40 ppm (+ trace VCM depending on circumstances)

The major danger from the combustion products is from HCL, which when dissolved in water is hydrochloric acid. So if someone inhales a bunch of it, it will form HCL in their lungs, causing damage. It also will be absorbed into clouds easily, becoming acid rain.

However, HCL diluted in the atmosphere is much, much less of a problem than VCM. The tiny amount of phosgene produced by the burning isn't really a consideration... it's diluted by the other combustion products and further diluted by the atmosphere. CO and CO2 are already in the atmosphere from a lot of sources.

So...they had a choice of potentially giving thousands of people cancer and making a big area dangerous for a very long time or burning the stuff off and risking some acid rain... if someone breathed the HCL in a low lying area, then they might have some lung damage, but it could likely heal with treatment.

No good choices here, just one better than the others."

Deer lowered. That has nothing to do with a train derailment with hazardous chemicals that was intentionally set of fire and created a huge ecological disaster, while government officials assure us everything is just fine.
There was another train derailment in 2012 with the same toxic chemicals. What did Obama do to prevent this one?
Put down the the Trump syringe for 2 seconds. It doesn’t always have to be about him.
I'm perfectly calm.

...were howling when Trump rolled back protections...

Among the things that Trump 'rolled back', what would have prevented this?

This seems like a complete failure of government decision-making at the most basic level. Unless letting it stay there would have been worse or cleaning it up was impossible, this appears to be approaching criminal negligence.

Also, in reference to media coverage...the TV reporter being tackled & arrested for simply doing his job (i.e. reporting) also feels like absolute governmental overreach. Nothing about this seems right.

EPA response is laughable. Don’t you know environmental emergencies and disasters only happen when a Republican is in charge.

Ok Pete isn’t worried about no transportation or hazmat issues. The only things he’s worried about are those that have 2 balls attached. And that was the only qualification he had to get the job to start.
I'm just shocked that Omar went directly after him instead of defaulting to #45 like what leftists bot accounts are doing.

Reactions: Zonadog and Bells76
i live a little over an hour due north of East Palestine. Thankfully for our area seemingly out of the wind direction as the prevailing wind is blowing more eastward rather than northward. and the watershed we are is the Lake Erie shed which is separate from the one impacted around the train derailment. but who really knows and the city of Youngstown (30min north) and Pittsburgh (1 hour SE) along with all the surrounding communities will be impacted.

hopefully this really is a nothing-burger. if not, I hope everyone ends up ok

I'm just shocked that Omar went directly after him instead of defaulting to #45 like what leftists bot accounts are doing.

Just goes to show how selective they are in their “outrage.” The decision to burn Vinyl Cl was the worst they could have made. I guess the RR hazmat and EPA were absent the day they taught Chemistry in Chemistry class. Will lead to the creation of several chemicals which will be a huge problem for the surrounding ecosystem and wildlife. Transferring as Much product as they could have would have been much wiser.

Not to mention, the burning of this chemical is illegal by EPA rule and law. But now magically, the EPA is telling us how everything is okay. No problem. But let a person stand on his boat and take a piss in Lake Lanier and the tree huggers would Be out in droves to protest. I’ve been neck deep in EPA haz waste law for 33 years and have never seen this type of apathy by EPA in a situation like this.

There was a time when UGA made the unwise decision to self-report haz waste violations to the EPD/EPA. They had to spend millions to clear themselves of mostly administrative haz waste violations. I’m talking things like improper labeling, Satellite Accumulation issues, etc. No chemical were ever released into the environment and they still had to pay through the nose. And don’t get me started on the Botanical Garden chemical/rad dump site that was started in the 60’s and cost the university millions in the early 2000s. UGA was fined and had to mitigate a large area where lab wastes had been dumped UNDER PERMIT from the authorities.

Now we see the EPA covering for these clowns? Our agencies have failed the people and now represent nothing more than an extension of a crooked political party.

I feel bad for the wildlife and people in the area and they have all been abandoned by the democrat EPA. The amount of Hydrogen Chloride generated by the fire will be substantial and will
Just turn to Hydrochloric Acid the second it comes into contact with moisture. Not to mention Phosgene and wait for it…..CO and CO2 which the EPA and dems have been telling us to stop producing in every way possible.

The stated purpose of EPA’s haz waste laws that they state is “to protect human health and the environment” LOL yeah right, unless it is detrimental to the democrat party, I guess they get a free pass.

Just goes to show how selective they are in their “outrage.” The decision to burn Vinyl Cl was the worst they could have made. I guess the RR hazmat and EPA were absent the day they taught Chemistry in Chemistry class. Will lead to the creation of several chemicals which will be a huge problem for the surrounding ecosystem and wildlife. Transferring as Much product as they could have would have been much wiser.

Not to mention, the burning of this chemical is illegal by EPA rule and law. But now magically, the EPA is telling us how everything is okay. No problem. But let a person stand on his boat and take a piss in Lake Lanier and the tree huggers would Be out in droves to protest. I’ve been neck deep in EPA haz waste law for 33 years and have never seen this type of apathy by EPA in a situation like this.

There was a time when UGA made the unwise decision to self-report haz waste violations to the EPD/EPA. They had to spend millions to clear themselves of mostly administrative haz waste violations. I’m talking things like improper labeling, Satellite Accumulation issues, etc. No chemical were ever released into the environment and they still had to pay through the nose. And don’t get me started on the Botanical Garden chemical/rad dump site that was started in the 60’s and cost the university millions in the early 2000s. UGA was fined and had to mitigate a large area where lab wastes had been dumped UNDER PERMIT from the authorities.

Now we see the EPA covering for these clowns? Our agencies have failed the people and now represent nothing more than an extension of a crooked political party.

I feel bad for the wildlife and people in the area and they have all been abandoned by the democrat EPA. The amount of Hydrogen Chloride generated by the fire will be substantial and will
Just turn to Hydrochloric Acid the second it comes into contact with moisture. Not to mention Phosgene and wait for it…..CO and CO2 which the EPA and dems have been telling us to stop producing in every way possible.

The stated purpose of EPA’s haz waste laws that they state is “to protect human health and the environment” LOL yeah right, unless it is detrimental to the democrat party, I guess they get a free pass.
who authorized the burning?

my FIL 120 miles away was mentiong a funny smell :( so yeah

• Sad
Reactions: Moosefish

I'm not saying that funny smell is or is not from this incident but 120 miles is a long way away and that smell could be a huge number of things

USEPA and Ohio EPA would have authorized this response. Norfolk Southern’s hazmat team and or their hired environmental consultants would have probably been the ones to start the combustion of the VC, possibly the Fire Department. In all likelihood.

One thing worth mentioning is the railroad’s near shutdown this year due to strike. They are running with much fewer employees than before. Which could be caulked up to corporate greed. RRs are notorious for cutting costs at every turn, jeopardizing safety and environmental contamination, etc. in an effort to maximize profits. Think early 1900s coal mine operations.

The PHMSA is who issues rules covering hazmat transportation. Will be interesting to see if/which of these rules were followed and which weren’t.

Also something nobody is talking about is all of the farmland is the area that is at risk from the HCl that will be raining down from the sky. There is also a coverup of some sort going on. Reporters have been arrested and kicked off the site for asking tough questions at meetings and trying to snap pictures of things like the fish kill off in the river. National Guard onsite and hauling folks off for trying to get pics and info onsite and surrounding areas.

Hope your FIL and others involved are okay. Given the cloud that has formed over the area, it would
Not surprise me if they could smell something. If it were me, I’d leave until I could get some real answers that I believed.

I never doubt people that say they smell something unusual outside. One time some idiot got mad at the terminals close to Athens on 129 and let a huge amount of waste gasoline loose. The river that runs parallel to Mitchell Bridge Rd and goes into the Middle Oconee was flooded with this gas. When I pulled up, the smell was so strong, I would get nowhere near running cars or any potential source of ignition. The smell of that river was so strong , even across the bypass, it smelled like a gas pump, no exaggeration. I started smelling hints of it at least a mile up the road and the quantities then were nothing like is going on in Ohio.

Reactions: nice marmot
USEPA and Ohio EPA would have authorized this response. Norfolk Southern’s hazmat team and or their hired environmental consultants would have probably been the ones to start the combustion of the VC, possibly the Fire Department. In all likelihood.

One thing worth mentioning is the railroad’s near shutdown this year due to strike. They are running with much fewer employees than before. Which could be caulked up to corporate greed. RRs are notorious for cutting costs at every turn, jeopardizing safety and environmental contamination, etc. in an effort to maximize profits. Think early 1900s coal mine operations.

The PHMSA is who issues rules covering hazmat transportation. Will be interesting to see if/which of these rules were followed and which weren’t.

Also something nobody is talking about is all of the farmland is the area that is at risk from the HCl that will be raining down from the sky. There is also a coverup of some sort going on. Reporters have been arrested and kicked off the site for asking tough questions at meetings and trying to snap pictures of things like the fish kill off in the river. National Guard onsite and hauling folks off for trying to get pics and info onsite and surrounding areas.

Hope your FIL and others involved are okay. Given the cloud that has formed over the area, it would
Not surprise me if they could smell something. If it were me, I’d leave until I could get some real answers that I believed.

I never doubt people that say they smell something unusual outside. One time some idiot got mad at the terminals close to Athens on 129 and let a huge amount of waste gasoline loose. The river that runs parallel to Mitchell Bridge Rd and goes into the Middle Oconee was flooded with this gas. When I pulled up, the smell was so strong, I would get nowhere near running cars or any potential source of ignition. The smell of that river was so strong , even across the bypass, it smelled like a gas pump, no exaggeration. I started smelling hints of it at least a mile up the road and the quantities then were nothing like is going on in Ohio.
also I'd be really worried about the high population centers of Youngstown and Pittsburgh that are less an hour away from the site and easily within wind range

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT