ADVERTISEMENT

Please explain this rule. Why would a kid on a track scholly lose that

30Adawg

War Daddy
Gold Member
Jul 10, 2007
scholarship if he also wants to play football and, at least in the first year, Georgia isn't offering a football scholly? I don't understand the logic of penalty of playing two sports. I am sure there is a simple explanation but, I'm a dumbarse on this and other matters. thanks

Bear Bryant use to give out track, softball, hockey and badminton schollys so that he could go over the limit. That is the way I understand it. Basically, you dont want the baseball team giving out football schollys

scholarship if he also wants to play football and, at least in the first year, Georgia isn't offering a football scholly? I don't understand the logic of penalty of playing two sports. I am sure there is a simple explanation but, I'm a dumbarse on this and other matters. thanks

My understanding is that if a kid on scholly for another sport plays football, it also counts as a football scholly against the numbers. Don't know about losing the other sport scholly if that's what you mean. And JR is exactly right about the Bear. They changed the rule because of him.

Because in the old days coaches (like Bear Bryant) would stockpile players by putting them on scholarship on the track team as a way of circumventing the 85 scholarship rule.

Got it. Thanks. What a dang shame this impacts a kid capable of doing both sports.

ADVERTISEMENT