ADVERTISEMENT

"Socialize" as a business term.....

Reagan Dawg

You’re Either Elite Or You’re Not
Gold Member
Jan 6, 2004
Georgetown, TX
When did it become in vogue to use the term "socialize" or "socializing" as a business term or in a business context? It seems to be becoming a synonym for the word discuss or review. Its only in the past 6 months or so that I've caught this. Example being: "take some time to socialize the proposal", or "we've spent some time socializing on your memo". I get its point, but just a new use of the word in a context that I've not traditionally heard used. Don't know how or when it became a thing.

When did it become in vogue to use the term "socialize" or "socializing" as a business term or in a business context? It seems to be becoming a synonym for the word discuss or review. Its only in the past 6 months or so that I've caught this. Example being: "take some time to socialize the proposal", or "we've spent some time socializing on your memo". I get its point, but just a new use of the word in a context that I've not traditionally heard used. Don't know how or when it became a thing.
A very long time ago.

If you work in a matrixed company that word has been around for a bit…

Last edited:
Reactions: Athens is Heaven
"Send me your proposal, and I'll socialize it with the leadership team. I'll respond back if there's any interest."

The need for socializing was pushed as the big reason for folks to go back into the office. The increasing popularity of the term is just an extension of that.

We’ve encouraged it so much at my office that Mondays are nothing but a sad tea party set in a sea of grey paint and fabric.

Reactions: JackRussellDawg
In college it meant a party with a sorority. Digging chicks.

I like that better.

The need for socializing was pushed as the big reason for folks to go back into the office. The increasing popularity of the term is just an extension of that.

We’ve encouraged it so much at my office that Mondays are nothing but a sad tea party set in a sea of grey paint and fabric.
Makes sense. I’ve heard it only a time or so at my work (commercial banking) but heard it from fellow board members or folks I know, usually in IT.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
What the hell does that even mean?

Am I going to go drink beers with your PowerPoint?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT