ADVERTISEMENT

Societal, ethical, moral, and scientific norms have been rewritten over the last three years.

PotimusWillie

B2B Caffeinated Nat’l Champion
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2009
A species, any species, cannot exist without rules of scientific order.

The shades of gray of truth we are being fed, while fulfilling to some as a good sweet snack, doesn’t keep order in society.

While all things are possible, not all things are beneficial.

We concentrate so much time on our rights, when we should look at what’s best for our country and then work that plan.

A question. If we are so much better off in our progressive Utopia, why are we so unsafe, unhappy and suicidal?

I grew up in Atlanta. As a six year olds, rode our bikes all around Cascade Heights, hung around Campbellton Plaza unsupervised, crossing Delowe drive to find lost golf balls at the Putt- Put course and roamed Greenbriar Mall unsupervised. We were safe because adults were around.

Why is it so different today than it was in the 1960’s? What is the root cause?

Funny, I was spanked as much by my best friends Mom as I was by my own. We were all held accountable for what we did. We were stupid kids, but we had consequence in our life.

We were lower middle class. Never had a lot, but had what we needed. We had a neighbor on our street that had a maid come in each day. She was probably the first black person I had ever been around as a child orher than in passing. She would wear us out if we were fighting or doing wrong. We loved/feared/respected her. When I turned 25, we found her and she came to my wedding. We laughed about those days and in her eyes, she still had a deep love for us, and us for her.

What has changed our society so much that we cannot his to any standards or consequence for actions?

Why do we just assume our cities are dangerous? Why are they dangerous?

We need to look at ourselves and our responsibilities to others. And look at what has broken us to this point.

I miss the days when young kids could actually leave their driveways on a bike.

It shouldn’t be this way.

I miss the days when young kids could actually leave their driveways on a bike.
Growing up in Savannah in the 70s, we could not leave our bike on the driveway. It would have been stolen, and many times was. Ultimately, we (my siblings and I) just gave up and walked the severalteen blocks to go see our friends - which kids don't do anymore unless they live in the gated communities... but I blame that on the overprogramming (whether by schools, parents, or the algorithm) that has truly changed the way we live.

Last edited:
It's not government it's parents letting social media raise their kids. So many of my son's friends have a curfew later than mine, spend hours a day on social media, spend maybe 10 hours of quality time per week with their parents/guardians, have no structure what so ever and are never told no to anything because the parents feel providing their kids with "things" will make them happy and less of a nuisance.

They want to be their child's friends and not their parents.

Last edited:
Growing up in Savannah in the 70s, we could not leave our bike on the driveway. It would have been stolen, and many times was. Ultimately, we (my siblings and I) just gave up and walked the severalteen blocks to go see our friends - which kids don't do anymore unless they live in the gated communities... but I blame that on the overprogramming (whether by schools, parents, or the algorithm) that has truly changed the way we live.
True…..as a kid, would sometimes spend summers down there with relatives. Race relations were awful back then too.

But what I remember most about Savannah, was the wonderful humidity, the great tasting water and that awesome smell from their neighbor…….Brunswick, especially in the morning.

Growing up in Vidalia…on a good day, I could also smell Brunswick even from there. A beautiful thang.

Last edited:
True…..as a kid, would sometimes spend summers down there with relatives. Race relations were awful back then too.

But what I remember most about Savannah, was the wonderful humidity, the great tasting water and that awesome smell from their neighbor…….Brunswick, especially in the morning.

Growing up in Vidalia…on a good day, I could also smell Brunswick even from there, a beautiful thang.

Forgot the noseeums chewing on your scalp And everywhere else.
Union bag out past Mary Calder golf course was the source of the aromatics
the divide between races is significantly larger. Segregation of living spaces has also been more pronounced.
wonder if SCAD and people moving back into the area has made any difference.

Reactions: nice marmot
Forgot the noseeums chewing on your scalp And everywhere else.
Union bag out past Mary Calder golf course was the source of the aromatics
the divide between races is significantly larger. Segregation of living spaces has also been more pronounced.
wonder if SCAD and people moving back into the area has made any difference.
Not sure how I left out the mosquitos & gnats…….but despite everything that has been mentioned, very fond memories of Savannah.

When I was a kid, our family would sometimes take the short drive to Savannah from Vidalia to enjoy the beach (also relatives)…..usually picnic with some my Mom’s out of this world buttermilk fried chicken, potato salad, homemade biscuits, watermelon etc.

NOBODY to this day can compare to her great southern cooking. You just don’t see it anymore…..if you do, it’s rare.

Probably one of my best memories was William’s Seafood…..always guaranteed to be fresh. The boats would drive right up to the dock in the back of the restaurant (deliver).

Don’t think I have better seafood since they have shut down. We would usually make that trip 5 or 6 times per year.

Christmas time was always a special time at William’s.

They always had this huge Christmas tree inside their restaurant as soon as you walked in. What made it even more special, was that there were a ton of gifts that were already wrapped under the tree.

Kids under a certain age got to pick at least one…and it was FREE. You don’t see that anymore.

Nonetheless, as with any place……you have to take good with the bad (Savannah). It has a special place in my heart and always will.

Last edited:
I was born in 1968 so Im basically an 80s kid and grew up on East 50th St in Ardsley Park. EVERY bike I had was stolen. Our cars were broken into. We came home to find kids swimming in our pool in our locked and gated back yard. I had a great childhood overall but we finally had to move as my parents no longer felt safe in one of the nicest areas of town. I dont know what the answer is now. I honestly dont think anyone even cares for an answer now either.

Not sure how I left out the mosquitos & gnats…….but despite everything that has been mentioned, very fond memories of Savannah.

When I was a kid, our family would sometimes take the short drive to Savannah from Vidalia to enjoy the beach (also relatives)…..usually picnic with some my Mom’s out of this world buttermilk fried chicken, potato salad, homemade biscuits, watermelon etc.

NOBODY to this day can compare to her great southern cooking. You just don’t see it anymore…..if you do, it’s rare.

Probably one of my best memories was William’s Seafood…..always guaranteed to be fresh. The boats would drive right up to the dock in the back of the restaurant (deliver).

Don’t think I have better seafood since they have shut down. We would usually make that trip 5 or 6 times per year.

Christmas time was always a special time at William’s.
I
They always had this huge Christmas tree inside their restaurant as soon as you walked in. What made it even more special, was that there were a ton of gifts that were already wrapped under the tree.

Kids under a certain age got to pick at least one…and it was FREE. You don’t see that anymore.

Nonetheless, as with any place……you have to take good with the bad (Savannah). It has a special place in my heart and always will.
Was born in Savannah.
Spent most summers of my childhood there.
The east side of town where I spent my time there is now crime infested, but like you it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Don’t think I have better seafood since they have shut down. We would usually make that trip 5 or 6 times per year
Not to be a buzz kill, but they (likely a younger gen) burned down the building for the insurance money was the rumor.

Regardless, there was nothing like that after that

Not to be a buzz kill, but they (likely a younger gen) burned down the building for the insurance money was the rumor.

Regardless, there was nothing like that after that
Yeah, heard the same……if true, they certainly didn’t manage things that well to go to that extreme.

That place was a gold mine.

Reactions: nice marmot
Yeah, heard the same……if true, they certainly didn’t manage things that well to go to that extreme.

That place was a gold mine.
people just started eating differently, I guess - or preferring chain store food.

also: could have something to do with the decline of the fishery. Wild caught shrimp are the best, but there are very few fisherman out there still chasing them. Importers undercutting prices, black gill, so now the fleet has shrunk, I am guessing shrimp are far more expensive, and there goes your margin.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT