ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Starlink

Live outside of Augusta and had no real internet option other than Att dsl at about 4mbps. Put in for Starlink last July and got it today. A breeze to setup and speeds over 300mbps download and 25mbps upload! I can finally watch football again this fall without buffering!!!!
How is Starlink working for you as of today? I've read that during peak hours (essentially during the day) people who were once experiencing speeds like you mention (at all times), are now dealing with speeds as slow as 1 mbps because there simply aren't enough satellites in the sky to account for all the users. I was supposed to receive my equipment by "mid-2022" but there hasn't been any updates. With people reporting painfully slow speeds on a large scale, I'm considering asking for my deposit back and just rolling with my AT&T 50 down and 12 up internet...which gets the job done.

How is Starlink working for you as of today? I've read that during peak hours (essentially during the day) people who were once experiencing speeds like you mention (at all times), are now dealing with speeds as slow as 1 mbps because there simply aren't enough satellites in the sky to account for all the users. I was supposed to receive my equipment by "mid-2022" but there hasn't been any updates. With people reporting painfully slow speeds on a large scale, I'm considering asking for my deposit back and just rolling with my AT&T 50 down and 12 up internet...which gets the job done.
Hmm I'd be interested to know about this as well. I was on the waiting list at one time but decided against it because of tree issues blocking satellite signals. Never could get a clear view of the sky with the app on their site and that was even after I took some trees down. Stuck with HughesNet right now and it sucks. Also have DirecTV which helps but they are pain in the ass to deal with as well. Didn't know of these issues with starlink because I pretty much gave up on it but would like to know if that's truly the case. Hopefully fiber will come my way at some point hell AT&t won't even hook me back up to DSL out here which I could care less cuz I hate them too

I’ve had Starlink since May, I’ve been pleased with it so far. I did a speed test when I got it 98 mb download speed versus 7 mb with at&t dsl. I changed from Directv to Youtube tv. The only problem I’ve had with Starlink is streaming and internet connection when we have a hard rain.

Hmm I'd be interested to know about this as well. I was on the waiting list at one time but decided against it because of tree issues blocking satellite signals. Never could get a clear view of the sky with the app on their site and that was even after I took some trees down. Stuck with HughesNet right now and it sucks. Also have DirecTV which helps but they are pain in the ass to deal with as well. Didn't know of these issues with starlink because I pretty much gave up on it but would like to know if that's truly the case. Hopefully fiber will come my way at some point hell AT&t won't even hook me back up to DSL out here which I could care less cuz I hate them too

ditched DirectTV and a Verizon Hotspot. When Verizon went 5g the signal doesn’t bend and I’m just over the crest of a mountain.

Im with Viasat and pretty pleased. Viasat with the extra speed & data is still less than my DirectTV bill and save the hotspot charge outright. Upload speed is slow at times but on.
Hooked my set top to the big TV via Ethernet and Roku Ultra and get clear 1080p just fine and it doesn’t degrade my wireless.

YTTV and all the Prime channels from my residence in Athens work at the cabin just fine w/o an additional $.

Voip works perfectly. Hooked up an Orbi and hit my shop for tunes.

Will go to Starlink for the upload speed eventually. Am on the wait list still.

Hard rain or snow - I’m sol.

Last edited:
Reactions: kc9
I don’t know anyone personally who has experienced issues, I’ve just seen multiple articles like this one over the past few months.

Just got Starlink at our farm in rural Emanuel County (now they are running fiber optic to our rural area about the time of arrival). In any case we have been happy using Starlink when we are there. The only issue is finding a clear area without going and mounting on a chimney or roof for some households. If your in a wooded lot you may have problems. If it is fairly open you may be able to simply mount it like a dish satellite on the ground.

Just got Starlink at our farm in rural Emanuel County (now they are running fiber optic to our rural area about the time of arrival). In any case we have been happy using Starlink when we are there. The only issue is finding a clear area without going and mounting on a chimney or roof for some households. If your in a wooded lot you may have problems. If it is fairly open you may be able to simply mount it like a dish satellite on the ground.
We are on a horse farm with hardly any woods, so we are good there.

I just don’t want to make the switch and then realize it slows down to speeds that don’t allow me to do my job. That wouldn’t be good.

The speeds have slowed considerably but are still in the 75 to 95 Meg range but still way better than DSL.

Reactions: jc73dawg
The speeds have slowed considerably but are still in the 75 to 95 Meg range but still way better than DSL.
Uploads are in the 10 to 15mb range. As others have said when a monster rain storm hits I lose signal until the rain slacks up some but that is usually less than 15 minutes. Heavy cloud coverage I have no issues with.

We are on a horse farm with hardly any woods, so we are good there.

I just don’t want to make the switch and then realize it slows down to speeds that don’t allow me to do my job. That wouldn’t be good.
On a Horse farm here as well. Have had starlink since March. Speeds have slowed and sometimes get Slow in peak hours but this has rarely been the case in my experience. Still performing way better than other other offering currently in my area.

Up until today I have been very happy with results. Today is a different story. Watching the WV vs Pitt game I started seeing buffering. Ran a speed test and I am only getting about 8mb. Only buffers for about 15 sec but doing this I can't recommend right now.

Up until today I have been very happy with results. Today is a different story. Watching the WV vs Pitt game I started seeing buffering. Ran a speed test and I am only getting about 8mb. Only buffers for about 15 sec but doing this I can't recommend right now.
Oh man, sorry to hear that.

Spring for that Ethernet connection option.
Oh man, sorry to hear that.
might be time to get that Ethernet attachment device. Then wire directly to the TV if tit has an Ethernet port or to a Roku Ultra and then HDMI from the Roku to the TV.

I did this with my Viasat system and it really helped my connection. Any other wireless device was competing with the TV. The Ethernet connection fixed it.

Reactions: reddawg425
Spring for that Ethernet connection option.

might be time to get that Ethernet attachment device. Then wire directly to the TV if tit has an Ethernet port or to a Roku Ultra and then HDMI from the Roku to the TV.

I did this with my Viasat system and it really helped my connection. Any other wireless device was competing with the TV. The Ethernet connection fixed it.
If your wifi router supports QoS (Quality of Service) you can give the TV top priority for any network traffic over the wifi connection -- it uses the MAC hardware addresses of each device to do this.

If you can go wired, that will always be the best option.

Reactions: LrgK9
If your wifi router supports QoS (Quality of Service) you can give the TV top priority for any network traffic over the wifi connection -- it uses the MAC hardware addresses of each device to do this.

If you can go wired, that will always be the best option.
my ethernet cable is connected to my tv. My speed last night was 15 mb versus 97 mb when I got Starlink in May. On the bright side it 3 times faster than my AT&T dsl that I had.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT