ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg The breed of peace strikes again

So I'm a veterinarian, and I hear ALL the freaking time about how "it's the owner, not the dog..." blah blah blah. I've seen on MULTIPLE occasions otherwise well adjusted pitbulls completely snap and bite the shit out of kids. One of my clients children had to have their kid rushed to ATL and have reconstructive facial surgery because their sweet little pittie didn't like the clothing they were wearing or something.

If you have kids, or wish to not get your ass sued, don't own a pitbull. Nobody gets killed by Golden Retrievers for a reason.

"But but but fur baby loves mommy." Ok.

End effing rant.
You sound just like my grandfather 30-40 years ago when we were kids and he was alive and had his clinic.

Have a kid or three, just get a lab or a retriever.

I am not a veterinarian, but I am a lifetime dog-enthusiast with a fair bit on knowledge on what specific dog breeds and types are designed to do. Pitbulls have jaws that are very powerful and are designed to clamp down and not release. That is one of the main reasons they do so much damage. They have also been bred to be more aggressive. They are kind of the saw-scaled viper of the dog world. This snake kills more people globally than all other snake species combined. They have a very potent venom for a small snake, and they are highly aggressive. It is a bad combination.
I was trying to decide between getting my 5yo niece a bunny or a saw-scaled viper for Easter, thanks for this information!

Agree with the poster who said its about instinct. Pitbulls are bred to fight period. Ask any hunter, who goes after wild hogs, what kind of "catch dog" they have. I promise you it's a pit.

Your pit may be great....today. But its nature is to kill, and it's just a matter of time before it does.

Reactions: deadduckdawg
If we get rid of everything called a pit bull, then we solve the problem. Bottom line, a "catch" instinct was selectively bred into them. Just like a labrador retriever was bred with an instinct to retrieve. They have a compulsive need to catch and attack when they see something running. It doesn't matter how well the dog is raised and treated. You cannot expect an animal to ignore the instincts that have been actively bred into them. Try throwing a tennis ball in front of a lab that has not had extensive training and see what happens. He is going to go get the damn ball. Unless you train him extensively to wait for a command before retrieving. And then the only reason they wait for the command is because they know the reward is to satisfy that instinct by getting to retrieve on command. Expecting pit bulls to be able to overcome generation upon generation of selective breeding and not instinctively attack is pure insanity.
The dog was bred for one thing and that's fighting, their name references that. The pit in pit bulldog refers to what they're actually fought in.

My pit bull lives in perfect harmony with a Australian Shepard and is bullied around the house by a 6 lb yorkie. It’s the freaking owner of the dog that determines the dog.
Keep telling yourself that.

65% of all dog-related deaths are caused by Pitbulls. They make up about 6.5% of the dog population in the US. Rottweilers are next and the are about 1/7 the number of deaths of Pitbulls. German Shepherds are next and about 1/5 the amount of deaths of Rottweilers.

To me, those are stunning numbers. To Pitbull owners...not so much.
Have had 3 German Shepherds in my lifetime, best dogs I’ve ever had.

All dogs bite……

So I'm a veterinarian, and I hear ALL the freaking time about how "it's the owner, not the dog..." blah blah blah. I've seen on MULTIPLE occasions otherwise well adjusted pitbulls completely snap and bite the shit out of kids. One of my clients children had to have their kid rushed to ATL and have reconstructive facial surgery because their sweet little pittie didn't like the clothing they were wearing or something.

If you have kids, or wish to not get your ass sued, don't own a pitbull. Nobody gets killed by Golden Retrievers for a reason.

"But but but fur baby loves mommy." Ok.

End effing rant.
This times 1 billion.
I have seen it 1st hand myself.
I own a golden retriever by the way.

You mean not all dogs that bite can kill??

I can buy that. Pretty sure you can’t categorize a dogs breed and determine they are all killers.

All dogs bite….
Statistics overwhelmingly disagree. Pit Bulls should be eradicated

This is a good thread. Pit bulls are sweet, gentle, wonderful with the kids……………….right up to the point they are not.
How many of these stories start with the owner telling us how sweet the dog was and how they never thought they would do this. etc.
They are territorial and aggressive when triggered and unpredictable. Add in their strength and tenacity and you have a ticking time bomb in far too many cases. A kid runs in the neighbors yard to get their ball or rides by on a bike and the dog reacts. Sorry, it's a fact.

XO
This is a good thread. Pit bulls are sweet, gentle, wonderful with the kids……………….right up to the point they are not.
Honestly, would never own one……especially with kids. All dogs do indeed bite, but the Pit can probably do more damage than most all.

Not worth the risk to me. They just seem too unpredictable for me and wouldn’t take the chance.

But wouldn’t say all Pitt Bulls are bad……and yes, I agree - good thread.

“Statistics”??…….. what, that all “Pit Bulls bite to KILL” and should be “eradicated
Here are your statistics:
Death by Dog Bite:
65.5% pit bulldogs
10.4% Rottweilers
4.6% German Shep
3.4% American Bulldog
3.2% mastiff
3% husky
Over 3x more victims of pit bulls than all other breeds combined.
48% of victims are less than 9 years old.

I'm not recommending eradication. Just providing some truth.

Death by Dog Bite:
65.5% pit bulldogs
10.4% Rottweilers
4.6% German Shep
3.4% American Bulldog
3.2% mastiff
3% husky

Neither am I, just challenging what was said….”Pit Bulls bite to Kill” and should be “eradicated”

Haven’t seen those stats.

What was said is just a little extreme, don’t you think?

Reactions: Dawgdocindosta

I can buy that. Pretty sure you can’t categorize a dogs breed and determine they are all killers.

All dogs bite….
Then riddle me this? Would you rather get bitten by a pitbull or a golden retriever.
Who gives a s*** if all dogs bite.
It's the nature of the bite, the intent of the bite, and the viciousness of the bite.

Then riddle me this? Would you rather get bitten by a pitbull or a golden retriever.
Who gives a s*** if all dogs bite.
It's the nature of the bite, the intent of the bite, and the viciousness of the bite.
Try to read again….if it doesn’t sink in, try a 3rd time. Then, read my other posts on the subject and get back to me rather than jump right in the middle.

It would all save me some time. No offense my man, I just hate repeating myself.

All dogs bite….
Not all dogs bite humans. I have been around plenty that have never bitten anyone. The debate is over the frequency with which certain breeds kill or severely injure humans.

Not all dogs bite humans. I have been around plenty that have never bitten anyone. The debate is over the frequency with which certain breeds kill or severely injure humans.
Jeebus!………never said that, I said “all dogs bite”.

FWIW, only have had one dog bite me in my lifetime….. was about 5 years old at the time, it was a Pekingese. Little SOB jumped up and bit me on the face. Funny thing is, I bit him back at my young age. It certainly made me feel better at the time.

Never forget, the owner ran outside screaming/yelling at me while the dog was crying/yelping.

Was full of piss & vinegar even at a very young age.

Follow the thread…..

Reactions: Dawgbittem
Death by Dog Bite:
65.5% pit bulldogs
10.4% Rottweilers
4.6% German Shep
3.4% American Bulldog
3.2% mastiff
3% husky

Yeah, I some numbers that were slightly different but they tell the same story.

The one I saw had Cane Corso after German Shepards.

Last edited:
I know quite a few dog show judges and the most feared dog to judge is the Chow-Chow. None of them like to check inside a Chow-Chow's mouth. As a breed, they tend to be snippy.

I know quite a few dog show judges and the most feared dog to judge is the Chow-Chow. None of them like to check inside a Chow-Chow's mouth. As a breed, they tend to be snippy.
Yeah, they definitely have a rep…..so does the Chihuahua. Never met one I’ve ever liked.

Reactions: rectomo

All dogs bite….
No you're the one that's misinterpreting.
There's a difference between what can kill and what Intends to kill.
But you do you and I'll do me and we will all coexist happily!

Well, isn’t that special
well, isn’t that special. either it is reading and comprehension that’s your issue or you are just lazy. you just can’t seem to follow a simple thread to even know what I’m interpreting or saying.

but gotta axe, how in the wide world of sports do you know that a Pit is “one of the few breeds that still bite to KILL”??

BTW, congrats on your retriever, they are great dogs. Just hope you’re the smarter one…

Last edited:
Well, isn’t that special

well, isn’t that special. either it is reading and comprehension that’s your issue or you are just lazy. you just can’t seem to follow a simple thread to even know what I’m interpreting or saying.

but gotta axe, how in the wide world of sports do you know that a Pit is “one of the few breeds that still bite to KILL”??

BTW, congrats on your retriever, they are great dogs. Just hope you’re the smarter one…
And now insults. Have a nice evening.

Death by Dog Bite:
65.5% pit bulldogs
10.4% Rottweilers
4.6% German Shep
3.4% American Bulldog
3.2% mastiff
3% husky

There needs to be some sort of regulation on the breed. These pics of kids with their scalps ripped off are horrible. I sense that the people who feel the need to own this breed are insecure and have feelings of inadequacy. Swimming pools are attractive nuisances and require fences. Shouldn’t dangerous breeds require restrictions? I’m sick of seeing pictures like that little boy above in this thread. If you’re so unsure of your manhood that you need a pit bull for protection, buy a shotgun for God’s sake, don’t endanger the children living around you. It is pathetic that men feel the need to project their manhood via a dog bred to kill anything that moves. Not to mention the horrible practice of ”blooding” your pit with somebody’s pet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT