ADVERTISEMENT

This 5th grade math test question stumped the parents of those kids that took it....

Double Deuce Dawg

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
Oct 26, 2022
Ken read 30 pages of a book on Monday.
He then read 1/8 of the book on Tuesday.
He completed the remaining 1/4 of the book on Wednesday.

How many pages were in the book?

If adults can't solve this problem within 3 minutes, they are too stupid to breed IMHO.

If adults can't solve this problem within 3 minutes, they are too stupid to breed IMHO.
It took me 4 or 5 minutes to get the 5/8x=30, so I’m calling you out on the last paragraph, but there maybe some truth to it, just done remind me…

Reactions: Dawgdocindosta
I was going to use my calculator but couldn't figure out how to do the 5/8X.
Just squeaked in under 3 minutes by doing it in my head like I should have from the start. 😁

Took me about a minute to read it carefully, and reread it, and decide if I would do it. I hate word problems. Alway have. Then I changed 1/4 and 1/8 to a common denominator, got 3/8s, and that leaves 5/8 was 30 pages, 30 divided by 5 was 6, 48 pages. Took about 1:15 for the whole thing. And 15 seconds to proof before I posted. I’m not bragging, I’m just at the end of a very math based career. I’m sure you could smoke me if it were any more difficult, but it does bring up the way we were taught. I went to parochial school in Boston and we had word problem algebra in 6th, 7th and 8th grades.

if a train left Chicago a 9:15, traveling 70 mph, and one left NYC at 10:30 . . . I hate them.

Last edited:
Just tried to do while on a conference call and too much damn talking in the background was distracting me. then accidently saw the answer so who knows if I would have solved it lol...... Can you imagine if answering a question like this was a prerequisite to voting?

Guess I'm glad I'm done "breeding" already- ha!

Took me about a minute to read it carefully, and reread it, and decide if I would do it. I hate word problems. Alway have. Then I changed 1/4 and 1/8 to a common denominator, got 3/8s, and that leaves 5/8 was 30 pages, 30 divided by 5 was 6, 48 pages. Took about 1:15 for the whole thing. And 15 seconds to proof before I posted. I’m not bragging, I’m just at the end of a very math based career. I’m sure you could smoke me if it were any more difficult, but it does bring up the way we were taught. I went to parochial school in Boston and we had word problem algebra in 6th, 7th and 8th grades.

if a train left Chicago a 9:15, traveling 70 mph, and one left NYC at 10:30 . . . I hate them.
Very fitting problem for a 5th grader because they would have just learned how to solve for 5/8x=30. Next step is x=30*(8/5). By the time that same kid gets to high school, they might or might not remember how.

See how you like this one (not a word problem). Saw it on Twitter Last night.
Solve the last item in the list.

9 --> 90
8 --> 72
7 --> 56
6 --> 42
3 --> ???

Doesn't say if the book has pictures.

it wasn't "War and Peace"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT