ADVERTISEMENT

Thot had posted my last here w/ Denis' white pug ID in stalk mode on the 150, but here's Tee's Obit

Thanks, Leroy. TEE was all about his online family, that's for sure.

Didn't t realize white pug might be Dennis, but shouldn't be surprised.

You're more than welcome. As far as Denis' multitude of screen names here, your old bud 39 swears by it.

Thanks BLD, I never knew Tee other than the vent but I knew him well because of it. A very good Dawg. May God wrap his comforting arms around the family at this time.

Great thoughts, 32. And just for you. 150 years ago this day...

Friday, 14 July 1865

This morning the CSS Owl, under Commander John Newland Maffitt--nicknamed the "Prince of Privateers" due to his remarkable success as a blockade runner and commerce raider--steams up the River Mersey in Northwest England, and anchors in Liverpool Harbor. The vessel had come from Nassau, Bahamas, eluding Union Navy ships under orders to capture her. On the 15th Maffitt will order the boatswain to pipe all hands aft where he addresses the crew in an immaculate uniform. He will thank them for their service and loyalty, pay them off, and splice the mainbrace one last time in honor of the Confederacy. Maffitt personally strikes the colors to three cheers from the crew. Maffitt shall choose to remain in Liverpool, obtain a Master’s License, and serve as a captain in the British merchant marine. In 1868, Maffitt returns to the United States and purchases a farm near Wilmington, North Carolina. As was so often the case, he was never able to recover his real or personal property unconstitutionally confiscated by the Federal Government.

Second report: Blockade runner Owl, under Commander Maffitt, steamed up the Mersey River and came to anchor in Liverpool harbor. He had brought the ship from Nassau through a Union Navy that had been alerted by Secretary Welles to exert all efforts to capture him. The following day, Maffitt had his boatswain pipe all hands aft where he appeared in an immaculate uniform and addressed the crew. "This is the last time we meet as sailors of the Confederate States Navy...The Confederacy is dead. Our country is in the hands of the enemy, and we must accept the verdict...I am grateful to you for your loyalty to me and to the South." He then paid off the crew, spliced one last mainbrace for the Confederacy and then personally struck the colors to three resounding cheers from the crew. Maffitt turned the ship over to Fraser, Trenholm and Company and established residence in Liverpool. After qualifying for a Master's License, he was employed by a shipping company and commanded the merchant steamer Widgeon trading between Liverpool and South American ports.

Maffitt finally returned to the United States in 1868 and made an unsuccessful attempt to secure restitution of confiscated property valued at over $75,000 (worth over $1,250,000 in 2015). With the money he earned while serving in the British merchant marine, he purchased a 212 acre farm outside Wilmington, North Carolina, where he lived his remaining years. During these sunset years, Maffitt engaged in some very perceptive reflecting. On one occasion he summarized the important role played by sea power in the war: "The Northern navy," he wrote, "contributed materially to the successful issue of the war. The grand mistake of the South was neglecting her navy. All our army movements out West were baffled by the armed Federal steamers which swarmed on western waters, and which our government provided nothing to meet. Before the capture of New Orleans, the South ought to have had a navy strong enough to prevent the capture of that city, and hold firmly the Mississippi and its tributaries. This would have prevented many disastrous battles; it would have made Sherman's march through the country impossible and Lee would have still been master of his lines...the errors of our government were numerous but her neglect of the navy proved irremediable and fatal."

Maffitt also astutely commented on the lasting contributions made by the navy he represented. "The Confederate Navy," he wrote, "minute though it was, won a place for itself in history. To the Confederates the credit belongs of testing in battle the invulnerability of ironclads and of revolutionizing the navies of the world. The Merrimack did that. And though we had but a hand full of light cruisers, while the ocean swarmed with armed Federal vessels, we defied the Federal navy and swept Northern commerce from the sea." For this latter achievement, Maffitt personally merited a large share of the credit. As captain of the CSS Florida during her 1863 cruise he captured 24 American merchant ships and he commissioned the tender Clarence, commanded by Lieutenant Charles W. Read, whose subsequent exploits accounted for 23 additional merchantmen. The Confederacy also authored the first ever successful submarine attack, when the CSS Hunley sank the Warship USS Housatonic on February 17, 1864.

" As the World Turns", will return after this brief message from Calgon.
th

Great thoughts, 32. And just for you. 150 years ago this day...

Friday, 14 July 1865

This morning the CSS Owl, under Commander John Newland Maffitt--nicknamed the "Prince of Privateers" due to his remarkable success as a blockade runner and commerce raider--steams up the River Mersey in Northwest England, and anchors in Liverpool Harbor. The vessel had come from Nassau, Bahamas, eluding Union Navy ships under orders to capture her. On the 15th Maffitt will order the boatswain to pipe all hands aft where he addresses the crew in an immaculate uniform. He will thank them for their service and loyalty, pay them off, and splice the mainbrace one last time in honor of the Confederacy. Maffitt personally strikes the colors to three cheers from the crew. Maffitt shall choose to remain in Liverpool, obtain a Master’s License, and serve as a captain in the British merchant marine. In 1868, Maffitt returns to the United States and purchases a farm near Wilmington, North Carolina. As was so often the case, he was never able to recover his real or personal property unconstitutionally confiscated by the Federal Government.

Second report: Blockade runner Owl, under Commander Maffitt, steamed up the Mersey River and came to anchor in Liverpool harbor. He had brought the ship from Nassau through a Union Navy that had been alerted by Secretary Welles to exert all efforts to capture him. The following day, Maffitt had his boatswain pipe all hands aft where he appeared in an immaculate uniform and addressed the crew. "This is the last time we meet as sailors of the Confederate States Navy...The Confederacy is dead. Our country is in the hands of the enemy, and we must accept the verdict...I am grateful to you for your loyalty to me and to the South." He then paid off the crew, spliced one last mainbrace for the Confederacy and then personally struck the colors to three resounding cheers from the crew. Maffitt turned the ship over to Fraser, Trenholm and Company and established residence in Liverpool. After qualifying for a Master's License, he was employed by a shipping company and commanded the merchant steamer Widgeon trading between Liverpool and South American ports.

Maffitt finally returned to the United States in 1868 and made an unsuccessful attempt to secure restitution of confiscated property valued at over $75,000 (worth over $1,250,000 in 2015). With the money he earned while serving in the British merchant marine, he purchased a 212 acre farm outside Wilmington, North Carolina, where he lived his remaining years. During these sunset years, Maffitt engaged in some very perceptive reflecting. On one occasion he summarized the important role played by sea power in the war: "The Northern navy," he wrote, "contributed materially to the successful issue of the war. The grand mistake of the South was neglecting her navy. All our army movements out West were baffled by the armed Federal steamers which swarmed on western waters, and which our government provided nothing to meet. Before the capture of New Orleans, the South ought to have had a navy strong enough to prevent the capture of that city, and hold firmly the Mississippi and its tributaries. This would have prevented many disastrous battles; it would have made Sherman's march through the country impossible and Lee would have still been master of his lines...the errors of our government were numerous but her neglect of the navy proved irremediable and fatal."

Maffitt also astutely commented on the lasting contributions made by the navy he represented. "The Confederate Navy," he wrote, "minute though it was, won a place for itself in history. To the Confederates the credit belongs of testing in battle the invulnerability of ironclads and of revolutionizing the navies of the world. The Merrimack did that. And though we had but a hand full of light cruisers, while the ocean swarmed with armed Federal vessels, we defied the Federal navy and swept Northern commerce from the sea." For this latter achievement, Maffitt personally merited a large share of the credit. As captain of the CSS Florida during her 1863 cruise he captured 24 American merchant ships and he commissioned the tender Clarence, commanded by Lieutenant Charles W. Read, whose subsequent exploits accounted for 23 additional merchantmen. The Confederacy also authored the first ever successful submarine attack, when the CSS Hunley sank the Warship USS Housatonic on February 17, 1864.

Thanks for the 150 report Leroy. I don't talk to many on here, but you and Tee are of the same mind set as myself. I have learned much from the 150's and thank you for that God bless and GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!

Good evening my new best friend. I was never simmered up.
I hope your day was good, maybe we can have a beer summit just like the smartest president ever in his first 6 months.
Catch you tomorrow

Smartest Prezzy ever, Chairman Obammy, keeps letting in all of these terrorists, but when they kill he calls it workplace violence, right?

Looks like "M"ass Nukage went on here recently.

TWEAK!!

Didn't '66. You were trying to reason with "M" (only 1 of dozens/hundreds screennames) which is oxymoronic. He creates these IDs, like Dawgphins above, to try and show there are many Leftists on this board and in this nation who share his ideas. He is, in reality, a psycho troll and deserves your, and my, back most days. I enjoy tweaking his fat, troll nose from time to time. He weighs almost 500 pounds, so I post Fo'FittyFie to get him to think he can actually push his LardAss away from the table occasionally. Incentive from within, not government mandated & ordered. BTW, as soon as he sees he cannot win an argument with you, he will cry to the Mods long and hard enough that he's being picked on, so they occasionally nuke the threads. Dennis is THE "M"aggot of the Chat.

TWEAK!!
Thanks for the background. I guess it's our fault he is overweight, not able to afford the healthier foods and gym membership.

ADVERTISEMENT