ADVERTISEMENT

trying to decide what to do about a car accident with a state patrolman...

ClyoDawg

National Champion
Jan 26, 2015
got run into ....right in front of the courthouse....by a State Trooper a few weeks ago. dude denied it was hit fault when it clearly was the case that he was negligent, and the county deputy noted him as the only contributor to the accident on the report, so he was clearly just covering his own butt.

tried to get the state insurance company to cover the claim...they're not interested in any way, wont return calls, wont take care of the problem, so my ins co...USAA...just paid the claim and waived my deductible since the report clearly stated it was the cops fault....

however, I didn't have rental car reimbursement...never thought of having it in 30 years of driving as I've never caused a wreck, so my ins co. wont pay for that, plus there's the issue of depreciated value of the car....the cop did about $7000 in damage to a 4 year old car, with a book value of around 25k, give or take.

was thinking of calling one of the ambulance chaser lawyers, but mainly because I'm angry at 1) the cop lying, 2) the foot dragging going on by both the cop and the state ins. co....I'm only out about $1000 for a car rental and whatever the depreciated value might be

we still got any lawyers logging on here care to weigh in with some free advice? other than me killing myself, of course

USAA should pay your diminution in value. That is not subject to debate. Nice of them to waive your deductible. Don't see that often.

USAA should subrogate against the state. I'd get them to pay your diminished value, then ask if they'd include your rental in their subrogation.

USAA should pay your diminution in value. That is not subject to debate. Nice of them to waive your deductible. Don't see that often.

USAA should subrogate against the state. I'd get them to pay your diminished value, then ask if they'd include your rental in their subrogation.
thanks man...i'll talk to them using your language above....makes sense the way you're saying it. I'll see what they say

got run into ....right in front of the courthouse....by a State Trooper a few weeks ago. dude denied it was hit fault when it clearly was the case that he was negligent, and the county deputy noted him as the only contributor to the accident on the report, so he was clearly just covering his own butt.

tried to get the state insurance company to cover the claim...they're not interested in any way, wont return calls, wont take care of the problem, so my ins co...USAA...just paid the claim and waived my deductible since the report clearly stated it was the cops fault....

however, I didn't have rental car reimbursement...never thought of having it in 30 years of driving as I've never caused a wreck, so my ins co. wont pay for that, plus there's the issue of depreciated value of the car....the cop did about $7000 in damage to a 4 year old car, with a book value of around 25k, give or take.

was thinking of calling one of the ambulance chaser lawyers, but mainly because I'm angry at 1) the cop lying, 2) the foot dragging going on by both the cop and the state ins. co....I'm only out about $1000 for a car rental and whatever the depreciated value might be

we still got any lawyers logging on here care to weigh in with some free advice? other than me killing myself, of course
You don't live around Tiger ridge do you?

USAA took care of it for my coworker. Then they went after the other insurance company.

This is my advice from LE . I would see if his supervisor been notified about the wreck and ask if he had a chance to read the report and tell him or her your concerns :

While doing so remain calm and talk to the supervisor calmly and see what happens : in order for it to go anywhere you will have to file a complaint against the trooper .

You will be ask to make a written statement and with that said , if you lie on the statement you can be charge with making false statements( just telling you ) .

That what I would advise you to do .

Email me at dhwhite@rhs-law.com. I don't do this type of work but I know good folks who do. I need to know where you live/where this happened and I can point you in the direction of someone decent to talk to about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT