ADVERTISEMENT

What are your opinions on the QB situation? Theories as to why...

mansfielddawg

Letterman and National Champion
Dec 7, 2001
Richt has not named a starter - which is not in keeping with his past? Reportedly no QB has stood out. Is it a motivational ploy or are we in trouble possibly at this key position?

Richt has not named a starter - which is not in keeping with his past? Reportedly no QB has stood out. Is it a motivational ploy or are we in trouble possibly at this key position?
Sounds like trouble to me...or Schottenheimer just has a vastly different coaching/interpersonal style than Bobo and doesn't like or get along with any of the available players on the roster. Which translates to "trouble."

Sounds like trouble to me...or Schottenheimer just has a vastly different coaching/interpersonal style than Bobo and doesn't like or get along with any of the available players on the roster. Which translates to "trouble."
If we had a clear leader, Richt would have named them the starter by now and we wouldn't have been investigating transfer options for Everett Golson. But I don't sense doom and gloom here either. All three QBs looked at least capable in the spring game. It's just that none of them have ever started a college game and none of them have ever run Schotty's offense either. So, not sure how a clear leader would emerge from that scenario. It only made sense to hold an open competition in the spring. It also makes sense to wait until the fall to name a starter to keep them all fully engaged and motivated until then.

Ultimately, I expect Ramsey to start the opener and his performance will determine if he can hold on to the job or not. He'll make a few more mistakes than Hutson Mason did, but he'll make more big plays as well, and having a deep passing threat could be key to opening up the running game for Chubb and Michel.

Reactions: Boost Assendahm

Do you have a source for your statement that Schotty doesn't like or get along with the players?

Not saying it isn't true - just the first I've heard of that and I'm curious where it came from.

I'm thinking we do not have a Matt Stafford or Aaron Murray on campus right now. So, we may just do what most programs do. Same thing Darth Visor did in Gainesville back in the day (when Shotty was one of his bevy of QB's). SOS ran QB's in and out like middle relievers. Played the hot hand and played talent according to scheme, his and his opponent's. Maybe we will enjoy the old QB by committee process for a while until talent, consistency or injury forces us to implement a different plan of ATTACK.

I'm thinking we do not have a Matt Stafford or Aaron Murray on campus right now. So, we may just do what most programs do. Same thing Darth Visor did in Gainesville back in the day (when Shotty was one of his bevy of QB's). SOS ran QB's in and out like middle relievers. Played the hot hand and played talent according to scheme, his and his opponent's. Maybe we will enjoy the old QB by committee process for a while until talent, consistency or injury forces us to implement a different plan of ATTACK.
I don't get why folks are so enamored with Stafford and Murray's time at UGA. What did either ever win at UGA? Stafford was an elite talent, and Murray out-played his size but had a tendency to be a turnover machine in big games...aside from that, they combined for 7 years without any hardware to show for their efforts. I'd take Greene and Shock at UGA over Stafford and Murray any day of the week. My point in all of that is the Dawgs don't me the 2nd coming of anyone - they just need a winner

Reactions: Boost Assendahm
Evidently we don't have a Shockley or a Greene either. Not suggesting second comings. Attempting to suggest that no one on the roster is clearly head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to selecting a dominant starting QB at UGA. Certainly not right now.

Evidently we don't have a Shockley or a Greene either. Not suggesting second comings. Attempting to suggest that no one on the roster is clearly head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to selecting a dominant starting QB at UGA. Certainly not right now.
I can agree with that. My feeling is that we are going to see another season with a significantly restricted passing game. The fact that they're recruiting the 2nd string QB from a lower-tier ACC program is certainly disconcerting...

I can agree with that. My feeling is that we are going to see another season with a significantly restricted passing game. The fact that they're recruiting the 2nd string QB from a lower-tier ACC program is certainly disconcerting...

Ding, ding, ding - We have a winner! I am of the opinion that there is significant concern at QB this year. Too out of character for Richt not to have clear leader going into fall camp. I really hope I am totally wrong.

Do you have a source for your statement that Schotty doesn't like or get along with the players?

Not saying it isn't true - just the first I've heard of that and I'm curious where it came from.
Just speculating, just as anyone responding to the OP's question ("are we in trouble?") is speculating.

Yeah, at this point, I expect another season with a passing game like last year's.

I hope Schottenheimer et al. attempt to blow less sunshine up our asses than Bobo did about how the starter is CAPABLE of "making the big throws," but just doesn't do so for unspecified reasons. That line got worn out by about game four last year.

Still, with a year of experience operating under those conditions (truncated passing game, near-total reliance on the ground game), coupled with what should be a somewhat less competitive SEC East, I think this team is capable of improving on last year's record. If Chubb were to go down with a significant injury, that would hurt, but I'm not convinced that Michel (and others) couldn't carry the load in his absence. That's especially true after the parade of effective RBs we saw last year.

-- 00 Dawg

I'm looking forward to QB by committee for a change. No one can get too comfortable or careless back there. Run 'em in. Run 'em out ala SOS in Gainesville back in the day. Go with the hot hand or play to your opponent's scheme and tendencies. Just like baseball middle relievers (everyone can contribute in a positive way......most of the time). Hey, when we get pixed at the QB, chances are so will the coaches, and the reliever will be warming up on the sidelines. No reason it won't work for us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT