ADVERTISEMENT

What happens to Don Draper in the finale of Mad Men?

DaddyDawg

Pillar of the DawgVent
May 29, 2001
I think that Matt Weiner, the creator of Mad Men, has been throwing us a curve ball in the last several episodes of Mad Men as the acclaimed series draws to a close this Sunday night. Don Draper was shown leaving his new position as a partner of McCann Erickson without any notice and simply drove off through the Midwest without any clue of his intentions. He did give his ex-wife a million dollars to settle his divorce without any real thought, and in the last episode, he has given up the Caddy he was driving. He sold his posh apartment in Manhattan after his former mother-in-law had movers wrongly deliver practically all of Don's furniture in the apartment to his ex-wife, and upon learning of the error, he accepts it without more.

I think Weiner is trying to make us believe that Draper will commit suicide in the last episode (there has already been one partner who did so in his office in an earlier episode) because Draper is giving up all of his possessions as might a person contemplating suicide. But the more likely scenario in my mind is that Draper has finally decided to shed his fraudulent existence as Don Draper and plans to start his life over again with authenticity by reverting back to his real identity as Dick Whitman. Maybe he finds the mysterious waitress he was looking for recently to serve as his new love interest since he found how lost he was as Don Draper by seeing the loss and tragedy in her life, or perhaps Draper makes his way to the west coast and becomes a hippie in the love/peace movement on Haight/Ashbury. Regardless of the specifics, if I were a betting man, I have to believe that Don Draper, as we know him, is coming to an end (not a suicide), only to be begin life again as the man he has always been........Dick Whitman.

What say those who are interested in Mad Men?

I think that Matt Weiner, the creator of Mad Men, has been throwing us a curve ball in the last several episodes of Mad Men as the acclaimed series draws to a close this Sunday night. Don Draper was shown leaving his new position as a partner of McCann Erickson without any notice and simply drove off through the Midwest without any clue of his intentions. He did give his ex-wife a million dollars to settle his divorce without any real thought, and in the last episode, he has given up the Caddy he was driving. He sold his posh apartment in Manhattan after his former mother-in-law had movers wrongly deliver practically all of Don's furniture in the apartment to his ex-wife, and upon learning of the error, he accepts it without more.

I think Weiner is trying to make us believe that Draper will commit suicide in the last episode (there has already been one partner who did so in his office in an earlier episode) because Draper is giving up all of his possessions as might a person contemplating suicide. But the more likely scenario in my mind is that Draper has finally decided to shed his fraudulent existence as Don Draper and plans to start his life over again with authenticity by reverting back to his real identity as Dick Whitman. Maybe he finds the mysterious waitress he was looking for recently to serve as his new love interest since he found how lost he was as Don Draper by seeing the loss and tragedy in her life, or perhaps Draper makes his way to the west coast and becomes a hippie in the love/peace movement on Haight/Ashbury. Regardless of the specifics, if I were a betting man, I have to believe that Don Draper, as we know him, is coming to an end (not a suicide), only to be begin life again as the man he has always been........Dick Whitman.

The one thing we know about MM is that what we think is going to happen will not. I think you may be right.......Don Draper will be no more, and he is again Dick Whitman. He returns to CA and becomes a farmer, or mechanic, or runs a fix it shop. Suicide never crossed my mind, which probably means that's what will happen. But we've already had one p!$$ poor ending to a series with The Sopranos, hopefully that will not happen here.

I was never able to get into the show but the common belief is that this is the story of DB Cooper and the finale will lead to his arrival in Portland before jumping out of the plane.

I was never able to get into the show but the common belief is that this is the story of DB Cooper and the finale will lead to his arrival in Portland before jumping out of the plane.
My wife won't watch it.....says it's too dark and depressing. I saw the headline about DB Cooper, but who knows? The only thing I know is that whatever the clues and obvious answers based on the facts in evidence, that will not be the answer.

The show will end with him getting on a plane in Portland and handing the flight attendant a note.

But, we won't see what the note says and will be left to speculate if he is DB Cooper for eternity.

The show will end with him getting on a plane in Portland and handing the flight attendant a note.

But, we won't see what the note says and will be left to speculate if he is DB Cooper for eternity.
I hope not. I will hate them forever if that's the ending.

I hope not. I will hate them forever if that's the ending.

I considered the Sopranos to be the greatest achievement in TV history and they show kept me ordering HBO until the 2007 finale.

Then LOST upped the ante for me. I even went on a cruise in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle on purpose to watch the finale.

Mad Men took it to the next level. But, this finale needs to be better than both to be the best ever imo.

Where does the D B cooper stuff come from? Don is a millionaire, Coober absconded with 200k

ADVERTISEMENT