ADVERTISEMENT

What say the Chat on "Big Game Hunting". Chick in Idaho defends killing.............

shonuff253

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
May 3, 2003
I agree. Going out and tricking an animal with help from a guide for the sake of your ego is shameful and immoral as far as I'm concerned. There is definitely nothing honorable about it.

Reactions: dassem and LumpLump
100 % agree. Love to hunt.. But never understood wanting to kill an Elephant, Giraffe, Lion, Leopard...Etc. If I dont plan on eating it.. then why would I kill it.

Reactions: LumpLump and Riotch
giraffe because they are dangerous. I think that's BS cause I can't find any information saying that they are. I don't get this Big Game Hunting, I was raised that if you don't intend to use it for food for yourself or others, for clothing or shelter, nuisance to land or crops, or a danger to people then you don't kill it.

http://www.today.com/news/idaho-hun...ks-out-after-her-kill-photos-t36146?cid=sm_fc
I think there's a whole lot of other things in America that deserve a whole lot more outrage than this

You shoot it, you eat it. Except, pigs and yotes, invasive species. It only takes one time seeing a yote take down a fawn to realize, I must eradicate them from my property.

Most folks don't hunt. Sitting in a tree over a baited field ain't hunting. Unless you're out tracking the animal, you're just a clown in a tree shooting at a target. I'd hazard that most folks these days don't know the first thing about tracking - or having to rely on success to feed their family.

Most folks don't hunt. Sitting in a tree over a baited field ain't hunting. Unless you're out tracking the animal, you're just a clown in a tree shooting at a target. I'd hazard that most folks these days don't know the first thing about tracking - or having to rely on success to feed their family.
Yeah, that's what you do sit in a baited field and shoot at targets. You know must people set those stands in known natural funnel areas and adjust their hunting times to align with the known travel patterns of a specific animal. But yeah, that is not "hunting" that is just a yahoo in a tree shooting at a target.

Reactions: StoneColdKillerDawg
giraffe because they are dangerous. I think that's BS cause I can't find any information saying that they are. I don't get this Big Game Hunting, I was raised that if you don't intend to use it for food for yourself or others, for clothing or shelter, nuisance to land or crops, or a danger to people then you don't kill it.

http://www.today.com/news/idaho-hun...ks-out-after-her-kill-photos-t36146?cid=sm_fc
As long as it's legal...no issues. These hunts are big for the local economy pumping money and food into the local tribes. The locals don't spare a piece of the animal that gets "bagged".

Reactions: jenkinscreekdawg
As long as it's legal...no issues. These hunts are big for the local economy pumping money and food into the local tribes. The locals don't spare a piece of the animal that gets "bagged".
Cecil was left for the vultures. And the only part of the local economy that got any of that money was two white guys.

You know, I really don't give too much of a damn. I've been a hunter all my life. But dragging giraffe guts behind a truck, luring a lion to a carcass hanging from a tree, stepping out from behind the tree and gut-shooting the animal, allowing him to suffer two days then shooting him, chopping off his head and leaving his carcass for the jackals just doesn't fit my model of "sporting."

Reactions: LumpLump and Riotch
Cecil was left for the vultures. And the only part of the local economy that got any of that money was two white guys.

You know, I really don't give too much of a damn. I've been a hunter all my life. But dragging giraffe guts behind a truck, luring a lion to a carcass hanging from a tree, stepping out from behind the tree and gut-shooting the animal, allowing him to suffer two days then shooting him, chopping off his head and leaving his carcass for the jackals just doesn't fit my model of "sporting."
And, you know for a fact that is what happened, or that is what you " heard"

And, you know for a fact that is what happened, or that is what you " heard"
To say that the only people that profited were the two white guys is just ignorant. Watch one of these hunts go down, it usually, 2 white "guides" and about 10 local trackers. If someone pays 50K to hunt the local trackers are tracking and patterning that animal for weeks prior to their arrival. And guess what, the Inn the hunter stays in is maintained by locals, the meals he eats are prepared by locals, the trucks he rides in are maintained by locals, the land he hunts is worked by locals. Why I don't agree with just straight up trophy hunting, to suggest only the white dudes make money off the deal makes you sound like you work for MSNBC.

Reactions: CountryClubDawg
News reports. You probably have a source on the ground in Zimbabwe with a name like Jungle Recon.
But yes, to answer your question, I do have contacts in Zimbabwe and that is the reason I know this story is so ridiculous.

To say that the only people that profited were the two white guys is just ignorant. Watch one of these hunts go down, it usually, 2 white "guides" and about 10 local trackers. If someone pays 50K to hunt the local trackers are tracking and patterning that animal for weeks prior to their arrival. And guess what, the Inn the hunter stays in is maintained by locals, the meals he eats are prepared by locals, the trucks he rides in are maintained by locals, the land he hunts is worked by locals. Why I don't agree with just straight up trophy hunting, to suggest only the white dudes make money off the deal makes you sound like you work for MSNBC.
Perhaps you should read a little more about this particular hunt. From what I've read, he paid $55,000 for a package deal including a trophy lion (for which it now appears they had no permit, thereby cheating the government conservation agencies). The money went to a white "farm" owner and a white guide, who employed a local tracker to carry Cecil's head, so the white guys didn't have to do all the heavy work. I'm certain the white guide paid the local guy an absolute fortune which filtered down through the local economy.

Also to benefit are the many servants of the farm owner who clean the toilets in the guest rooms on the farm. And of course all the local merchants who got rich providing food for the ONE guest. The gas station guy probably sold 8 gallons of gas he would not have sold had not that ONE guest poured money into the local economy.

And one more hint on your trickle down theory. I would bet a huge sum of money that the 55k fee never made it within 5000 miles of Zimbabwe. White folks in Zimbabwe keep no more cash in that country than they can afford to have nationalized or stolen, lessons learned from Rhodesia, a country I visited many times along with most other African countries.

Bronkhorst's company is run by himself, his wife, and his two sons. If he employs locals, he pays them a pittance. Very little ever filters down in local African economies. It filters OUT.

Sure, there was some slight measurable gain due to this ONE guest's week long visit. Due to their getting nailed by the authorities for conducting an illegal hunt, some local attorneys will make a few bucks and the court will siphon off a chunk in fines, which might or might not make it to the local coffers.

Trickle down economics do not and never will work in Africa. The trickle stops at Robert Mugabe who is a multi billionaire. And, btw, other than pocket change, his money is not in-country either.

Rhodesia already nationalized the assets belonging to and murdered thousands of whites in their struggle to become Zimbabwe. Many believe something similar could happen again.

Perhaps you should read a little more about this particular hunt. From what I've read, he paid $55,000 for a package deal including a trophy lion (for which it now appears they had no permit, thereby cheating the government conservation agencies). The money went to a white "farm" owner and a white guide, who employed a local tracker to carry Cecil's head, so the white guys didn't have to do all the heavy work. I'm certain the white guide paid the local guy an absolute fortune which filtered down through the local economy.

Also to benefit are the many servants of the farm owner who clean the toilets in the guest rooms on the farm. And of course all the local merchants who got rich providing food for the ONE guest. The gas station guy probably sold 8 gallons of gas he would not have sold had not that ONE guest poured money into the local economy.

And one more hint on your trickle down theory. I would bet a huge sum of money that the 55k fee never made it within 5000 miles of Zimbabwe. White folks in Zimbabwe keep no more cash in that country than they can afford to have nationalized or stolen, lessons learned from Rhodesia, a country I visited many times along with most other African countries.

Bronkhorst's company is run by himself, his wife, and his two sons. If he employs locals, he pays them a pittance. Very little ever filters down in local African economies. It filters OUT.

Sure, there was some slight measurable gain due to this ONE guest's week long visit. Due to their getting nailed by the authorities for conducting an illegal hunt, some local attorneys will make a few bucks and the court will siphon off a chunk in fines, which might or might not make it to the local coffers.

Trickle down economics do not and never will work in Africa. The trickle stops at Robert Mugabe who is a multi billionaire. And, btw, other than pocket change, his money is not in-country either.

Rhodesia already nationalized the assets belonging to and murdered thousands of whites in their struggle to become Zimbabwe. Many believe something similar could happen again.
The background you have given is reason this story is crap imo. So, he killed a lion. Yeah, I dont agree with it, but this is not the Zimbabwe story people should be talking about. No one mentions that Mugabe served baby elephant at his birthday dinner, or that in the last election he had his cronies travel around and tag the homes of his challengers, or, that he is building new neigborhoods and shopping malls with Chinese money, while the rest of his country lives of internqational aid.

The background you have given is reason this story is crap imo. So, he killed a lion. Yeah, I dont agree with it, but this is not the Zimbabwe story people should be talking about. No one mentions that Mugabe served baby elephant at his birthday dinner, or that in the last election he had his cronies travel around and tag the homes of his challengers, or, that he is building new neigborhoods and shopping malls with Chinese money, while the rest of his country lives of internqational aid.
I guess there are many Zimbabwe stories people should be talking about. FWIW, the NYTimes had a story today that said over time Cecil would have been worth millions to the economy (could be hyperbole). But in any event, if it's true they had no permit (and I believe it is), and if it is likely, as I surmise, that none of that 55K ever saw a Zimbabwe bank, then that asshole dentist just screwed that country out of a ton of money. And as a lifelong sportsman who eats what he shoots and plays by the rules, I wish the ****ING LION WOULD HAVE EATEN THE ****ING DENTIST-----------------SLOWLY.

Reactions: Riotch
I agree. Going out and tricking an animal with help from a guide for the sake of your ego is shameful and immoral as far as I'm concerned. There is definitely nothing honorable about it.

The same with killing an unborn human baby for the sake of convenience is shameful and immoral. Nothing honorable about it.

As long as we are killing unborn human babies, we should have nothing to say about killing an animal. We are the animals.

Just saying. I am amazed at the uproar over killing this lion when we kill about 1.2 million unborn human babies a year. We have lost our minds and our souls.

I guess there are many Zimbabwe stories people should be talking about. FWIW, the NYTimes had a story today that said over time Cecil would have been worth millions to the economy (could be hyperbole). But in any event, if it's true they had no permit (and I believe it is), and if it is likely, as I surmise, that none of that 55K ever saw a Zimbabwe bank, then that asshole dentist just screwed that country out of a ton of money. And as a lifelong sportsman who eats what he shoots and plays by the rules, I wish the ****ING LION WOULD HAVE EATEN THE ****ING DENTIST-----------------SLOWLY.

For someone who has soooo much compassion for a lion, that seems kinda harsh to say about a human being.

For someone who has soooo much compassion for a lion, that seems kinda harsh to say about a human being.
I have zero compassion for the damned lion. I also have zero compassion for the damned dentist. Likewise for those with little sense of humor.

To spell it out for you: "I don't really want the lion to eat the dentist."

I have zero compassion for the damned lion. I also have zero compassion for the damned dentist. Likewise for those with little sense of humor.

To spell it out for you: "I don't really want the lion to eat the dentist."
What if the dentist was a Florida fan? Can the Lion eat him then?

Reactions: Modoc Joe
What if the dentist was a Florida fan? Can the Lion eat him then?
My guess is he would have looked for something better to eat. And, btw, I do agree with you that there are far more important issues to be worried about in that country than a lion and a dentist. But I still think the dentist is a major asshole who should spend some time in a Zimbabwe prison. And some time with a psychiatrist. And not because he killed a damned lion (for any of you with comprehension problems, not speaking to you, JR), but because of the way he did it. He cheated the country and he cheated the principle of sportsmanship, IMO.

My guess is he would have looked for something better to eat. And, btw, I do agree with you that there are far more important issues to be worried about in that country than a lion and a dentist. But I still think the dentist is a major asshole who should spend some time in a Zimbabwe prison. And some time with a psychiatrist. And not because he killed a damned lion (for any of you with comprehension problems, not speaking to you, JR), but because of the way he did it. He cheated the country and he cheated the principle of sportsmanship, IMO.
I agree, with most of that, but according to his story he paid 55k and was told all permits and license were taken care of, if he truly believed that, should he still go to jail? The outfitters committed the crime imo, not the dentist.

I agree, with most of that, but according to his story he paid 55k and was told all permits and license were taken care of, if he truly believed that, should he still go to jail? The outfitters committed the crime imo, not the dentist.
Seems like for something as important as being charged with poaching, which is a 20k fine and up to 10 years in a VERY nasty prison, I would have wanted a copy of the permit before I ever got on the airplane. But, I guess he could be a dumbass as well as an asshole.

mime-attachment.jpg

I have posted on this topic before on here. I am an avid whitetail bow hunter. I love the crisp fall mornings of watching the sun come up and hearing mother nature come alive around me. I have never had an interest in flying to Africa and using a bow to kill a lion but it appears that many hunters do have that interest. I hunt family farms in Georgia where my in laws are farmers and I hunt Midwestern states including Iowa (when I can draw a tag), Kansas, & Illinois. My in laws have permits due to the crop damage they get from whitetails each year. Two weekends ago we counted over 40 sets of eyes at night on about a 5 acre area parcel of a peanut field they farm. We killed 9 does (female deer) that night trying to get the population under control. Without proper management of the species they will wreak havoc on the local farmers, your wife's flowers beds, & they become a huge hazard on roadways. I do follow all the game laws within each state I hunt and all my hunts are fair chase (no fences, no genetically altered deer for antler size etc). Most hunters follow the same guidelines but I am sure some break the rules to gain an advantage. The world needs hunters. I have no clue how often a lion can reproduce and how quick the population can grow. I am sure that if they are not allowed to be hunted eventually they will become a nuisance just like a whitetail deer. They will breed and the population will grow. If numbers are low its up to the countries or states to regulate the number of tags. Georgia does an ok job of it as does Kansas and Iowa. Illinois on the other hand is probably like an African nation. They are all about the money most of the time.

ADVERTISEMENT