ADVERTISEMENT

When a conservative stalwart like Thomas Sowell doesn't think Trump.........

Though I have great respect for Sowell and love his writings, he is not the know all to end all. Maybe Sowell underestimates the outrage of conservatives. The outrage of being lied to by a Congress which was handed both houses on their obvious lies. The lies which promised to stop Obama's illegal amnesty, and to repeal and replace Obamacare.
Maybe Sowell underestimates the conservative outrage in regards to Boehner and McConnell capitulating to Obama on TPP.
Maybe Sowell underestimates the conservative outrage on usurping the Constitution by going around Congress and straight to the UN on the Iran Nuke Treaty.
Maybe Sowell underestimates the conservative outrage on the advancement of left wing social engineering in regards to HUD and the AFFH.
Maybe Sowell underestimates the conservative outrage with the treatment of our veterans by the VA.
Maybe Sowell underestimates the conservative outrage on the constant division of Americans by race, income, and gender.
Maybe Sowell underestimates the conservative outrage on Benghazi, Fast & Furious, Hilary's server, IRS targeting, the EPA destroying the coal industry, Solyndra, and a host of other issues.

Trump has name recognition and is receiving ten times more attention than any other candidate. If he can take on addition conservatives issue - i.e. strict constitutionalists, free Markets, Individual liberty, pro-life, traditional American values, smaller government, education (vouchers & charter schools), states’ rights, cheap energy (keystone pipeline), faux global warming, gun rights (even Bernie Sanders is running on this), private property, abolish the IRS (fair tax) or lower taxes, war on terror (isis), drug testing for welfare/entitlement recipients, etc. etc. etc. I believe he could go all the way to the white house. However, the jury is still out on whether his conservative views have evolved as much as I'd like. Only time will tell.

Though I have great respect for Sowell and love his writings, he is not the know all to end all. Maybe Sowell underestimates the outrage of conservatives. The outrage of being lied to by a Congress which was handed both houses on their obvious lies. The lies which promised to stop Obama's illegal amnesty, and to repeal and replace Obamacare.
Maybe Sowell underestimates the conservative outrage in regards to Boehner and McConnell capitulating to Obama on TPP.
Maybe Sowell underestimates the conservative outrage on usurping the Constitution by going around Congress and straight to the UN on the Iran Nuke Treaty.
Maybe Sowell underestimates the conservative outrage on the advancement of left wing social engineering in regards to HUD and the AFFH.
Maybe Sowell underestimates the conservative outrage with the treatment of our veterans by the VA.
Maybe Sowell underestimates the conservative outrage on the constant division of Americans by race, income, and gender.
Maybe Sowell underestimates the conservative outrage on Benghazi, Fast & Furious, Hilary's server, IRS targeting, the EPA destroying the coal industry, Solyndra, and a host of other issues.

Trump has name recognition and is receiving ten times more attention than any other candidate. If he can take on addition conservatives issue - i.e. strict constitutionalists, free Markets, Individual liberty, pro-life, traditional American values, smaller government, education (vouchers & charter schools), states’ rights, cheap energy (keystone pipeline), faux global warming, gun rights (even Bernie Sanders is running on this), private property, abolish the IRS (fair tax) or lower taxes, war on terror (isis), drug testing for welfare/entitlement recipients, etc. etc. etc. I believe he could go all the way to the white house. However, the jury is still out on whether his conservative views have evolved as much as I'd like. Only time will tell.

You are delusional if you think Trump cares anything about conservatives. He will only get Hillary elected.

But you are correct about the republicans, our only hope is for an outsider. Otherwise, we will have to wait for it all to crash like Greece and then rebuild.

Conservative politicians, unicorns, and sasquaches...are they real?

Seems like conservative politicians are all over the place on the campaign trail but nowhere to be seen in office.

You do realize that the political system in the USA is a farce right? Democrats and Republicans are playing Good Cop-Bad Cop. No matter who is in office there's always going to be problems and people will shake their fists about it.

Everyone cannot agree on every issue. Since die hard conservative voters seem to require that, they will always lose no matter who wins.

We have reached the event horizon. There are more free loaders than taxpayers. The whole system is doomed. I hate to be negative, but it is what it is. Only a fool will be blind to it and not prepare now.

Reactions: Dawg 'n IT
The posters here in the Lunatic Fringe Fever Swamp constantly reassure each other that Thomas Sowell is "one of the good ones".
Was "one of the good ones" a racist slander? Trump's negatives have gone down significantly. It is interesting that the appeal of Trump is wide spread. The millenials like him because he tells it like it is instead of pol speak. The middle class like a guy who has been a huge success. Of course, the tea party are frustrated with congress and think he is a strong enough leader to get something done. Most everyone likes a strong leader whether u agree with him or not. I think Countryclub at the top of this thread gives a good summary of frustrations of cons that have led to the Trump phenom.

Reactions: CountryClubDawg
Conservative politicians, unicorns, and sasquaches...are they real?

Seems like conservative politicians are all over the place on the campaign trail but nowhere to be seen in office.

You do realize that the political system in the USA is a farce right? Democrats and Republicans are playing Good Cop-Bad Cop. No matter who is in office there's always going to be problems and people will shake their fists about it.

Everyone cannot agree on every issue. Since die hard conservative voters seem to require that, they will always lose no matter who wins.

Can't disagree Democrats and Establishment Republicans are playing together; especially Boehner & McConnell, which have surrendered the power of the purse and the treaty process, with Obama.

May I suggest a visit to Conservative Review to educate yourself on who your conservatives are:
https://www.conservativereview.com/Scorecard

Though our political system may be a farce, it's still much better than anywhere in the world. The Founders of this nation intentionally made it difficult to get anything done in Government. Thank God! But it's painfully obvious our system isn't working at all. If it were Obama would have been impeach for usurping the Constitution. It's obvious, to me, we are in a post Constitutional era.

No one is going to agree on every issue and Conservatives realize this. Hell, here at my office we can't even agree on the same type pizza for lunch, much less who we want for President. Ted Cruz is my horse, a true conservative which I agree on most issues. And in my opinion, the most intelligent of all Republican Presidential Candidates.

Last edited:
Justb
Can't disagree Democrats and Establishment Republicans are playing together; especially Boehner & McConnell, which have surrendered the power of the purse and the treaty process, with Obama.

May I suggest a visit to Conservative Review to educate yourself on who your conservatives are:
https://www.conservativereview.com/Scorecard

Though our political system may be a farce, it's still much better than anywhere in the world. The Founders of this nation intentionally made it difficult to get anything done in Government. Thank God! But it's painfully obvious our system isn't working at all. If it were Obama would have been impeach for usurping the Constitution. It's obvious, to me, we are in a post Constitutional era.

No one is going to agree on every issue and Conservatives realize this. Hell, here at my office we can't even agree on the same type pizza lunch, much less who we want for President. Ted Cruz is my horse, a true conservative which I agree on most issues. And in my opinion, the most intelligent of all Republican Presidential Candidates.

Looking at the presidency as a case, just saying over the years, most of my conservative friends will often state that they like X candidate except for 1or 2 issues and so they won't vote for that person. Then we end up with McCain and Romney as those 2 have managed to say the right combination of things to get the nomination over others who may have been more effective in office than Obama.

There are plenty of reasonable conservative voters but unfortunately there is a significant amount who do feel like a candidate representing their personal utopia should be available in every election.

That's the advantage the Dems have over the GOP. The majority of Dem voters are willing to get behind a candidate even if they don't agree with everything on the platform. Obama beating Hillary is still fascinating because she was supposed to be a lock for 2008.

Then you have moderate and independent swing voters who dislike the McCains and Romneys as much as the majority of conservative voters so they jump to the Dem side too.

I am not a W Bush fan but at least he was a unifying candidate for the GOP when he won. Granted, after Clinton's PR nightmare finish, the GOP could have won with Pee Wee Herman the same way the Dems were going to win after Bush.

2016 seems up for grabs for the first time in a while so the GOP better get this right with Trump being the new X-factor. If this election were a movie, Trump would be the hand picked character by Michael Bay who combines the powers of Perot and Palin in this reboot.

Food for thought: Trump has never been taken seriously as a public figure until he started telling conservatives what they wanted to hear. Some are skeptical, many trust him. We shall see.

Justb

Looking at the presidency as a case, just saying over the years, most of my conservative friends will often state that they like X candidate except for 1or 2 issues and so they won't vote for that person. Then we end up with McCain and Romney as those 2 have managed to say the right combination of things to get the nomination over others who may have been more effective in office than Obama.

There are plenty of reasonable conservative voters but unfortunately there is a significant amount who do feel like a candidate representing their personal utopia should be available in every election.

That's the advantage the Dems have over the GOP. The majority of Dem voters are willing to get behind a candidate even if they don't agree with everything on the platform. Obama beating Hillary is still fascinating because she was supposed to be a lock for 2008.

Then you have moderate and independent swing voters who dislike the McCains and Romneys as much as the majority of conservative voters so they jump to the Dem side too.

I am not a W Bush fan but at least he was a unifying candidate for the GOP when he won. Granted, after Clinton's PR nightmare finish, the GOP could have won with Pee Wee Herman the same way the Dems were going to win after Bush.

2016 seems up for grabs for the first time in a while so the GOP better get this right with Trump being the new X-factor. If this election were a movie, Trump would be the hand picked character by Michael Bay who combines the powers of Perot and Palin in this reboot.

Food for thought: Trump has never been taken seriously as a public figure until he started telling conservatives what they wanted to hear. Some are skeptical, many trust him. We shall see.
I can't disagree with anything you said.

Obama is charismatic, passionate, and articulate, and in addition, he knew how to fire up the Democrat base. Which propelled him into the Presidency.
Donald Trump is charismatic and passionate, but lacks articulation on any given subject. Which will probably hurt him in the long run. But maybe not. We'll see. It is not Trump that people are resonating towards, it is his message. Conservatives are sick of open borders, and we extremely are sick of weak, moderate Republicans who won't stand up for our values.

A lot has changed and come to light over the past 7-8 years. Democrats aren't the same today as they were even 10 years ago. Trump's response to conservatism can evolve just as Obama's evolved on Gay marriage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT