ADVERTISEMENT

Which "stereotype" is more likely to help you?

Boost Assendahm

Always Ready, Never Prepared
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
EDITED/UPDATED for clarity: Which of these "STEREOTYPES" (used by most media and entertainment industry spokespeople and most of us) are most likely to help you or protect you and your family and property in times of crisis or real world need? (storms, floods, fire, break-ins, etc.)

1. Media "talking head" aka news reader
2. Sports "star athlete"
3. TV/Movie/Music "celebrity"
4. Media, marketing or political "celebrity"
5. Media anchor man or opinion columnist
6. Media "personality" aka "expert" on topic
7. Media "Opinion Show" host.
8. Comedian pretending to be a news man
9. News man pretending to be an entertainer
10. Your politically flawed (likely favors conservative values and even a few "Tea Party" tenets), but willing and able neighbor, who has a working knowledge of how to use his or your tools and his or your gun(s). Think he's too blue in the collar, because he's not exactly a "Modern Family" kind of guy? Wait until you really need him. Then imagine what and whom you really care about. He'll be ready. Will you?

Most of us gush over the first nine and ignore, and sometimes don't even know, # 10.

Last edited:
Which of the stereotypes (used by most media and entertainment industry spokespeople) are most likely to help you or protect you and your family and property in times of crisis or real world need?

2. Sports "star athlete"
10. Your politically flawed (likely favors most conservative values and "Tea Party" tenets), but willing and able neighbor, who has a working knowledge of how to use his or your set of tools and his or your gun(s). Think he's too blue collarish (ewww) or maybe a little rough around the edges, because he's not exactly a "Modern Family" kind of guy? Wait until you really need him. Then imagine what and whom you really care about. He'll be ready. Will you?

Most of us gush over the first nine and ignore, and sometimes don't even know, # 10.
I can guarantee that Hydro doesn't know anybody like this. Me? Most of my friends are #10, and yes, we all have a working knowledge of our tools and weapons. Vise grips and duct tape will fix anything, and there's nothing like a lever action 30-30 to cure what ails ya.

You forgot one.

11. A willfully ignorant redneck.

Me? I would rather have a comedian pretending to be a newsman protecting me than a willfully ignorant neck. Sorry if that hurts anybody's feewings, but there you have it.

Reactions: Boost Assendahm
That wasn't one of the options but proceed forward, WHITEpug. Proceed!
I am not sure a comedian who pretends to be a newsman could protect anyone.
I hope this didn't 'hurt you in any way' as well, since that seems to be a passive aggressive way to throw
out a quick verbal jab but remain inside the 'code of good postmanship' and remain in good standing
as a DawgChat Member.

Reactions: ArchDawg
I can guarantee that Hydro doesn't know anybody like this. Me? Most of my friends are #10, and yes, we all have a working knowledge of our tools and weapons. Vise grips and duct tape will fix anything, and there's nothing like a lever action 30-30 to cure what ails ya.
Guarantee? I think we've found another in a growing list of words you like to use but of which you are unclear on meaning.

Guarantee? I think we've found another in a growing list of words you like to use but of which you are unclear on meaning.
You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha........

Please, don't away mad, just go away. I'm growing weary of your liberal intellectual elitist attitude.

Reactions: ArchDawg
You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha........

Please, don't away mad, just go away. I'm growing weary of your liberal intellectual elitist attitude.
Watch it, quoting from The Princess Bride may impact your he-man, Bubba rep. Intellectually elite is relative to the company one is keeping; your well earned feelings of inadequacy are not my problem.

Which of the stereotypes (used by most media and entertainment industry spokespeople) are most likely to help you or protect you and your family and property in times of crisis or real world need?

2. Sports "star athlete"
10. Your politically flawed (likely favors most conservative values and "Tea Party" tenets), but willing and able neighbor, who has a working knowledge of how to use his or your set of tools and his or your gun(s). Think he's too blue collarish (ewww) or maybe a little rough around the edges, because he's not exactly a "Modern Family" kind of guy? Wait until you really need him. Then imagine what and whom you really care about. He'll be ready. Will you?

Glad you have the whole world figured out

We've strayed from the original question. Who's more likely to be willing and able to help you during a real world crisis (not a bad hair day). The way things are, not the way we want them to be.

You forgot one.

11. A willfully ignorant redneck.

Me? I would rather have a comedian pretending to be a newsman protecting me than a willfully ignorant neck. Sorry if that hurts anybody's feewings, but there you have it.

Good luck with that.

And do you realize "redneck" is an ethnic slur? Probably one that would define you?

It is incredible and downright scary how the liberals seem to allow and encourage bias and prejudice AGAINST white men in this day and age yet promote and encourage bias and prejudice that BENEFITS others, especially blacks.

Whatever happened to striving for equality, not just a different type of racism?

Living in Atlanta, I can tell you that the new and most practiced form of racism and prejudice is against whites, especially white men.

I always find it entertaining to see how smart liberals *think* they are, yet how incredibly ignorant and incapable they actually are.

You promote criminals like the Clintons and black supremacists and anti-semites like Obama and his crew, yet you abhor guys like Ted Cruz because he goes to church and Scott Walker because he didn't finish his undergrad.

At what point did sanity and reason leave the Democratic party?

Glad you have the whole world figured out

Nope, not at all. I've just grown a bit tired of our fascination with celebrity, self gratification and fixing blame rather than fixing problems. We are great at cropping and framing truth to suit our insecurities, fears and inadequacies. Smug self importance is just as damaging as greed or jealousy. We supposedly know how to live in harmony, but we keep pushing further apart, all the while blaming each other. Stephen Covey says it best, "Seek to understand before you seek to be understood."

Good luck with that.

And do you realize "redneck" is an ethnic slur? Probably one that would define you?

It is incredible and downright scary how the liberals seem to allow and encourage bias and prejudice AGAINST white men in this day and age yet promote and encourage bias and prejudice that BENEFITS others, especially blacks.

Whatever happened to striving for equality, not just a different type of racism?

Living in Atlanta, I can tell you that the new and most practiced form of racism and prejudice is against whites, especially white men.
Yeah, we're horribly oppressed. I feel it everyday and have to tell myself to keep striving, keep pushing and some day, some glorious day us white, heterosexual, educated, affluent males will have the opportunities so many others enjoy!

Reactions: HeulenHund2
We've strayed from the original question. Who's more likely to be willing and able to help you during a real world crisis (not a bad hair day). The way things are, not the way we want them to be.
What kind of real world crisis would your ridiculously described list of people be able to help with?

Yeah, we're horribly oppressed. I feel it everyday and have to tell myself to keep striving, keep pushing and some day, some glorious day us white, heterosexual, educated, affluent males will have the opportunities so many others enjoy!

Hang in there brother, our time will come. The poor and downtrodden will have their comeuppance.

Nope, not at all. I've just grown a bit tired of our fascination with celebrity, self gratification and fixing blame rather than fixing problems. We are great at cropping and framing truth to suit our insecurities, fears and inadequacies. Smug self importance is just as damaging as greed or jealousy. We supposedly know how to live in harmony, but we keep pushing further apart, all the while blaming each other. Stephen Covey says it best, "Seek to understand before you seek to be understood."

You do realize your hero in the OP is a conservative Tea Party type. You really don't think readers can't see your real point do you ?
Conservatives - good
Their critics - bad.

What kind of real world crisis would your ridiculously described list of people be able to help with?

Do you have a list of people you call on during an emergency? Do you actually know any of them? My point is that we the people love to gush over folks who have any level of celebrity instead of depending on and helping each other in our neighborhoods and in our communities. We've lost the will and the art of communicating effectively with each other. We spew. We rarely discuss and solve things. We prefer to blame "the other side" for everything we perceive as wrong. Only suggesting that we recognize their worth and work with those of us we can depend on. Hating someone or slamming their ways or means is surely not the answer to any of our problems. Some of us are so addicted to entertainment that we can't discuss anything without being mean spirited, and only to entertain ourselves. Pitiful and sad, but someone will take care of us, right?

Do you have a list of people you call on during an emergency? Do you actually know any of them? My point is that we the people love to gush over folks who have any level of celebrity instead of depending on and helping each other in our neighborhoods and in our communities. We've lost the will and the art of communicating effectively with each other. We spew. We rarely discuss and solve things. We prefer to blame "the other side" for everything we perceive as wrong. Only suggesting that we recognize their worth and work with those of us we can depend on. Hating someone or slamming their ways or means is surely not the answer to any of our problems. Some of us are so addicted to entertainment that we can't discuss anything without being mean spirited, and only to entertain ourselves. Pitiful and sad, but someone will take care of us, right?

The next time I end up in the emergency room I'll make sure the attending physician is a conservative tea party member.

You do realize your hero in the OP is a conservative Tea Party type. You really don't think readers can't see your real point do you ?
Conservatives - good
Their critics - bad.

My point was that the neighbor is not a raving lunatic in real world circumstances. That he, even with his political baggage, is much more likely (as a neighbor) to come to your or my aid in a crisis. You would have to go to the hospital and pay the surgeon for his help. If he was your neighbor and your place gets flooded, or damaged in a storm, do you expect him to come over and help?

My point was that the neighbor is not a raving lunatic in real world circumstances. That he, even with his political baggage, is much more likely (as a neighbor) to come to your or my aid in a crisis. You would have to go to the hospital and pay the surgeon for his help. If he was your neighbor and your place gets flooded, or damaged in a storm, do you expect him to come over and help?

I see, but your point would have been more effective if you'd posted the neighbor could be conservative OR liberal.
I've read SO MANY post that seem to try to use bad psychology to work the reader. That is what your OP seemed like to me.

I call the nearest NFL player, of course

You seem to be full of spew, in this post fwiw

Good luck with that.

Dude, face it, you are a beneficiary of white privilege. Quit trying to play the victim.

I call the nearest NFL player, of course

You seem to be full of spew, in this post fwiw

It really burns some of us up to realize, acknowledge and admit that the "types" we love to snub and sneer at in social circumstances, are often the "types" that will more likely be able and prepared to step up/forward when circumstances call for decisive and effective action. I did a poor job of framing a less than socially acceptable neighbor, and most of us have one or more we avoid socializing with. Unintentionally made it political by trying to make him a less than perfect neighbor instead of better demonstrating how PC/cool/hip/awesome may not be all that functionally dependable during times of disaster. And yes, most of us know that not all blue collar folks or law enforcement or rescue personnel lean conservative. But I specified stereotypes (created for us by marketing, media and entertainment) as that is how most of us perceive each other. And most of us prefer the comfort of labeling people instead of getting to know them and working things out face to face. Wag more, bark less, right?

It really burns some of us up to realize, acknowledge and admit that the "types" we love to snub and sneer at in social circumstances, are often the "types" that will more likely be able and prepared to step up/forward when circumstances call for decisive and effective action. I did a poor job of framing a less than socially acceptable neighbor, and most of us have one or more we avoid socializing with. Unintentionally made it political by trying to make him a less than perfect neighbor instead of better demonstrating how PC/cool/hip/awesome may not be all that functionally dependable during times of disaster. And yes, most of us know that not all blue collar folks or law enforcement or rescue personnel lean conservative. But I specified stereotypes (created for us by marketing, media and entertainment) as that is how most of us perceive each other. And most of us prefer the comfort of labeling people instead of getting to know them and working things out face to face. Wag more, bark less, right?
I have no idea what you are saying

I have no idea what you are saying

No worries. Some of us are incapable of seeing ourselves as others see us. No harm in not knowing your neighbors. And knowing their names doesn't mean you know them. We learned the hard way who we could depend on. And it wasn't the "comfortable" bunch we socialized with the most.

No worries. Some of us are incapable of seeing ourselves as others see us. No harm in not knowing your neighbors. And knowing their names doesn't mean you know them. We learned the hard way who we could depend on. And it wasn't the "comfortable" bunch we socialized with the most.
That's a relief

Get off it, you fully intended it to be political, you're still doing it, you're just being sneaky about it. You present the OP as nonjudgmental, but it is exactly the opposite.
I won't be so coy. The posters who rant hate at half the Nation's population seem unlikely to be the best of neighbors, well, maybe to THEIR kind.

EDITED/UPDATED for clarity: Which of these "STEREOTYPES" (used by most media and entertainment industry spokespeople and most of us) are most likely to help you or protect you and your family and property in times of crisis or real world need? (storms, floods, fire, break-ins, etc.)

2. Sports "star athlete"
10. Your politically flawed (likely favors conservative values and even a few "Tea Party" tenets), but willing and able neighbor, who has a working knowledge of how to use his or your tools and his or your gun(s). Think he's too blue in the collar, because he's not exactly a "Modern Family" kind of guy? Wait until you really need him. Then imagine what and whom you really care about. He'll be ready. Will you?

I Choose the type who reluctantly becomes my friend when Shit Hits Fan...
turns out he's F'in Super Hero (for Real!) Comic style...
Saves the known Universe, while I eat watermelon....yumm, watermelon...

Last edited:
I Choose the type who reluctantly becomes my friend when Shit Hits Fan...
turns out he's F'in Super Hero (for Real!) Comic style...
Saves the known Universe, while I eat watermelon....yumm, watermelon...

Just saw Mad Max. That's the way it works for him.

White Privilege? Are you a college student in the first year of your African Studies major?
Man, what a joke. That's the newest version of slapping down a race card.

only reason for her existence was to pester me...
it didn't work...since SA opened gates of hell (small hell),
many are back...watch where ya step...
might find poo, fun or insight...
bahh, it's All poo....

Get off it, you fully intended it to be political, you're still doing it, you're just being sneaky about it. You present the OP as nonjudgmental, but it is exactly the opposite.
I won't be so coy. The posters who rant hate at half the Nation's population seem unlikely to be the best of neighbors, well, maybe to THEIR kind.

Not coy at all, just trying to be reasonable in discussing the FACT that most of us are uncomfortable with anyone who's not exactly like us (embraces everything we say, do and how) might be most likely to save our butts in a crisis. Could be that the guy who drives a Subaru with seven bumper/window stickers heralding his world view, is the one who comes to your or my aid during fretful circumstances. My money is on the F150 guy. Would you refuse his help if one of his bumper stickers was "Tea Party?" I wouldn't refuse Mr. Subaru if one of his was "Embrace Diversity." More of a social statement than a political one. We need to work together, face to face. Not sit on our smug a$$es and demand/expect someone else to speak (write speaking points) for us.

2. Sports "star athlete"

hey Boos,
you seem angry,
let's say I agree with what you say...(ok, so far. right?)
my curveball to you is the sense of frustration/anger that I cannot understand from you...
Lord Knows I get on a hot Rail to Hell at times...
just curious...and maybe giving you a chance to pop top on the Volcano...!!!???

hey Boos,
you seem angry,
let's say I agree with what you say...(ok, so far. right?)
my curveball to you is the sense of frustration/anger that I cannot understand from you...
Lord Knows I get on a hot Rail to Hell at times...
just curious...and maybe giving you a chance to pop top on the Volcano...!!!???

Just posticulatin' about our fellow men, Trying to understand why we are so quick to disparage one another over just about anything at any time rather than discuss things openly and honestly. Can't change the world. I know that. But feel a need to comment on parts of it now and again. You be good to yourself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT