ADVERTISEMENT

“Elite HS WR” woes…

Boost Assendahm

Always Ready, Never Prepared
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Negative stereotypes have almost always been commonplace at this position on every football roster at every level, yet talent/skill/measurable groupies among coaches, scouts & evaluators of “next level”potential all fall victim to their addiction to big play deep ball speedsters.

It’s a common malady that afflicts dreamers more than planners & builders. Even NFL “experts” imagine these very fast but brittle camera time & personal stats hogs streaking down the sidelines reeling in long scores by the dozens.

Although these knowledgeable pickers know the slenderella they desire most is not likely to stay productive/healthy for a complete season (very rare exceptions) even if they don’t ever throw a successful block at any point in a season. Elite WR’s tend more than other positions to be much more about “me & my personal stats & face time on camera.

None of the above tendencies blend well with “the team first culture” CKS demands. Rare exceptions to those negative tendencies do exist and our Dawgs have had a few team first WR’s with enduring star (big play) power.

Bottom line, “star power” or “media darling” status is an earned status, but rarely does the “look at me” teammate generate or even contribute to a positive & productive team culture. Give me the TE or gutsy over the middle, “possession receiver,” who enjoys blocking as much as catching.

IMHO based on decades of observing human nature on & off fields of play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.