ADVERTISEMENT

“I need a larger home, but I’m locked into a 2.15 interest rate.” What’s the future for this person?

FootballDawgFan

War Daddy
Silver Member
Sep 9, 2001
I’m sure I’m not the only one in this boat. If you are in this boat, what are you going to do?

I’m holding, but damn we need some more room.

Our mortgage is stupid low for the area we live in.

Reactions: Boom MFer Dawg
You have two choices, expand your current home if possible or bite the bullet and have a higher mortgage interest rate. The big question is how long can you stay in your current house.

I’m sure I’m not the only one in this boat. If you are in this boat, what are you going to do?

You have to decide if the juice is worth the squeeze. Is it worth the higher rate and payment for the bigger house or is it more valuable to have more extra money for other bills/ fun stuff.

Is there an option to add additional space to where you currently live? Give us some more options because I would hate to have to move with that interest rate.

Reactions: scottmac1972

Well if you are waiting for the 2s to come back, that is never going to be a thing again in your lifetime. With this being a election year, I suspect rates will improve. But somewhere in the 5s is probably the best you are going to do for a long time.

Now what you could do, is put extra money into paying off your current house faster. Then make it a rental, and then use the rental cash flow with your existing cash flow, to then buy the much bigger house.

But I feel your pain, because I will never give up my 2.5 percent rate. I am staying in this house at that rate, till I retire....it is just to sweet a deal.

Well if you are waiting for the 2s to come back, that is never going to be a thing again in your lifetime. With this being a election year, I suspect rates will improve. But somewhere in the 5s is probably the best you are going to do for a long time.

Now what you could do, is put extra money into paying off your current house faster. Then make it a rental, and then use the rental cash flow with your existing cash flow, to then buy the much bigger house.

But I feel your pain, because I will never give up my 2.5 percent rate. I am staying in this house at that rate, till I retire....it is just to sweet a deal.
I wouldn't advise paying off more on a house when he has an mortgage rate of 2.15%

High interest savings accounts are paying 5%+ right now, so it'd be more cost effective to save that money and accrue interest than paying down a low interest mortgage

Well if you are waiting for the 2s to come back, that is never going to be a thing again in your lifetime.
That’s quite a statement. No one has any clue what rates will be like in 5 years, much less 20.

Your age and that of your home are two big factors, IMO. If the "more room" is needed due to your family growing I would suggest that would be the top priority going forward. Or add some of that room onto your existing casa if Home Association and/or lot size allows?

If you're on the backside of 40 and kids are grown and gone, then your "need" might just be a 'want'.

Your age and that of your home are two big factors, IMO. If the "more room" is needed due to your family growing I would suggest that would be the top priority going forward. Or add some of that room onto your existing casa if Home Association and/or lot size allows?

If you're on the backside of 40 and kids are grown and gone, then your "need" might just be a 'want'.
This is where I am leaning also. If you can build on then that would be my suggestion.

I wouldn't advise paying off more on a house when he has an mortgage rate of 2.15%

High interest savings accounts are paying 5%+ right now, so it'd be more cost effective to save that money and accrue interest than paying down a low interest mortgage
Well, I agree with your thought, if he wasn't saying that he wants to get into a bigger house. :) But yes that interest rate gives him plenty of options with his money, if he decides he can sit tight in his current house.

How far do rates need to fall before you refinance? If you have 6.75 or 5.5 now, where fo they need to drop before it is worth it? Say on a 400k loan. One percent? Two? More?

That’s quite a statement. No one has any clue what rates will be like in 5 years, much less 20.
That is true, but how many times in history has rates been below 3% for a 30 year mortgage? I have only seen it one time in 41 years so I would make the bet that I won't see it again.

Do you really need more space or just want it?

You either suck it up and buy a bigger place or just ride it out in your current place.

I'm doing the latter.
Same. Refinanced in 2020 to a 2.5 on a 15-year. Smaller house (compared to friends/peers) but a $2k mortgage each month and the house will be paid off as my youngest leaves college.

Reactions: BaileyDawg79

Agree. A 2.15% mortgage rate is like free money.

Reactions: PappyDawg2727
We’ve looked into adding on. That’s the way we are leaning now. Our mortgage is criminally low. It’s allow us to travel a sht ton.

Find out what kind of rent you could get leasing it out. Then go to the bank and talk about doing a loan collateralized by both the new / larger house and your profitable rental. You may end up with a much better situation than you expect. That mortgage is a valuable asset. Use it. Don’t sell it.

Find out what kind of rent you could get leasing it out. Then go to the bank and talk about doing a loan collateralized by both the new / larger house and your profitable rental. You may end up with a much better situation than you expect. That mortgage is a valuable asset. Use it. Don’t sell it.
Yeah I would never sell this house. Mortgage too good. I could get a good chunk for rent but the problem with renting is I would lose my masters rental, which is nice.

If you want an honest answer, you will have to disclose more. Otherwise, you’ll get answers like this:

1) If you can’t pay for it yourself (your funds), you can’t afford it……..”the borrower is slave to the lender”, “cash is king”, etc.

2) Vote for DJT.

3) Suck it up….etc.

What does your lender tell you!???…you’re not going to get a loan unless you are approved.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT