ADVERTISEMENT

“Just an old worn….

Eastmandawg

Circle of Honor
May 29, 2001
out farmer”

reminds me of some of the stories my Dad told me when he was growing up. Always could hear the glee in his voice & see the happiness in his eyes when he told me the stories.

Still haven’t figured out what a “MAGA”is, but gotta axe. Some talk like it’s a bad thang…....is this fellow one or are they all just racists & bigots IYO??

Somebody please set me straight…

Last edited:
My Dad grew up during the depression.
Plowed a mule sun to sun starting at a very young age.
Never had electricity in the home.
He used to say "the good old days are way overrated".
HA!….mine would say the same after all of the stories he would tell me. The area he grew up in was very rural (south GA), it was very tough growing up back then…..but he was very happy for the most part.

But you could tell that he also had a lot of fond memories.

They had a mule also, no running water and no electricity. They got all of their meat from their livestock (and milk) grew their own vegetables, made their butter, syrup, meal etc.

I believe the only thing they didn’t have were spices and maybe flour. They had what you called a “rolling truck” back then. It would come by once a week and they got what they didn’t have then. A candy bar was a privilege….,a real treat.

Can remember him telling me for baths, they had to use well water to dump in a tub outside….waited for the sun to heat it before he would get in.

He was too damn poor to go to college, but he worked his azz off and was pretty dang successful in the grocery business for only a HS grad..

He believed the only way to get ahead was to work hard….and he proved it. You can’t say that in today’s world……but he certainly did it. He learned a lot about who he was back then and applied it to the real world.

I always say that everyone should be poor at least once in their lives…..this is some of what I mean. You can certainly understand both sides of the fence if you do.

I learned a lot from my Dad, his beliefs and the examples he set taught me a lot about life.

.God rest his soul.

HA!….mine would say the same after all of the stories he would tell me. The area he grew up in was very rural (south GA), it was very tough growing up back then…..but he was very happy for the most part.

They had a mule also, no running water and no electricity. They got all of their meat from their livestock (and milk) grew their own vegetables, made their butter, syrup, meal etc.

I believe the only thing they didn’t have were spices and maybe flour. They had what you called a “rolling truck” back then. It would come by once a week and they got what they didn’t have then. A candy bar was a privilege….,a real treat.

Can remember him telling me for baths, they had to use well water to dump in a tub outside….waited for the sun to heat it before he would get in.

He was too damn poor to go to college, but he worked his azz off and was pretty dang successful in the grocery business for only a HS grad..

He believed the only way to get ahead was to work hard….and he proved it. You can’t say that in today’s world……but he certainly did it. He learned a lot about who he was back then and applied it to the real world.

I always say that everyone should be poor at least once in their lives…..this is some of what I mean. You can certainly understand both sides of the fence if you do.

I learned a lot from my Dad, his beliefs and the examples he set taught me a lot about life.

.God rest his soul.
Man, our Dads had a very similar upbringing.
My Dad's Dad died when my Dad was 6 years old.
He was taken in by other family members because his Mom literally had nothing.
Although he never had much schooling, he was such a wise man.
You are spot on about the belief hard work. He always taught us to live within our means.
He always said "it ain't what you got, it's what you owe".
His advice and example served me and my brothers well.
He will be gone 10 years this September. I miss him still. Can't tell you how many times things come up and I think.....I sure wish I could ask Daddy to see what he thought about it.
God rest his soul.

.God rest his soul.
Well I lived that life also. I was around 4 or 5 but I remember a lot of it. I was 8 years old before we had indoor bathroom and running water.

Man, our Dads had a very similar upbringing.
My Dad's Dad died when my Dad was 6 years old.
He was taken in by other family members because his Mom literally had nothing.
Although he never had much schooling, he was such a wise man.
You are spot on about the belief hard work. He always taught us to live within our means.
He always said "it ain't what you got, it's what you owe".
His advice and example served me and my brothers well.
He will be gone 10 years this September. I miss him still. Can't tell you how many times things come up and I think.....I sure wish I could ask Daddy to see what he thought about it.
God rest his soul.
Well I lived that life also. I was around 4 or 5 but I remember a lot of it. I was 8 years old before we had indoor bathroom and running water.
You dug your way out I am guessing with no help.

“Nothing is free”…..somebody is always paying.

Everybody should stand on their on two feet unless they are physically/mentally handicapped or challenged.

Gotta want it…….”if it’s to be, it’s up to me”.

Last edited:
You dug your way out I am guessing with no help.

“Nothing is free”…..somebody is always paying. Everybody should stand on their on two feet unless they are physically/mentally handicapped.

Gotta want it…….”if it’s to be, it’s up to me”.

I
Worked a many 80 hour week. Wasn’t nothing given to me back then. I learned my trades by on the job training back then. Worked as a mechanic, welder, fabricator and electrician. Worked in industrial maintenance 40 years.

Worked a many 80 hour week. Wasn’t nothing given to me back then. I learned my trades by on the job training back then. Worked as a mechanic, welder, fabricator and electrician. Worked in industrial maintenance 40 years.
They all are really in demand now…..U come along at the wrong time.

.God rest his soul.
Greatest generation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT