ADVERTISEMENT

A different QB question that I'd love to know the answer to at some point...

Swigg

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2018
And let me preface by saying, I don't think it has any bearing on the season, is any kind of indictment on coaching decisions, nor do I want to get into a JT vs Stetson debate.

Just something I was curious about last night.

What in the world was up with the QB line-up in the run up (and immediate aftermath) to the UAB game?

Things we know:

1. Prior to that point JT was the clear #1, but he was then injured (or whatever, lets not talk about it)

2. According to Kirby's presser (and Stetson's) after the UAB game, Stetson was frustrated that he was not repping with the 2s. Nor was he on the scout team. He was getting a lot of those "virtual reps" (you heard Kirby talking about Beck getting in those most recent presser) and working in a limited capacity with the 3s.

This leads us to believe that the depth chart at the time was: 1 JT , 2 CB, 3 SB.

3. It was announced JT was out, and reports immediately started coming out that CB would be the starter. This resulted in a lot of conflicting reports resulting in ultimately Radi being right and Stetson being named the starter.

Updating the depth chart: 1 JT (injured), 2 SB, 3 CB

4. Immediately following that game we play South Carolina at home. JT starts, but it seems Stetson gets some early playing time designed into the game plan. He was given a series early in the game but immediately threw a pick and wasn't back till later in the second half. Kirby insinuated in his presser that it was planned and we really shouldn't be surprised to see more of it.

Updating the depth chart: 1a JT, 1b SB, 3 CB

So knowing what we know now, exactly what was going on with this situation?

My best guess is, when JT went down, people just assumed that whoever was getting the 2s reps would be stepping in, so that would be Beck. But then over the course of the week, either Beck struggled or Stetson outperformed him (finally able to get the 2s reps he was looking for). Stetson must have practiced well enough and including his performance at UAB moved up the depth chart enough to have more of a rep-share situation with JT based on being given the series in the South Carolina game. And then we all know how the situation played out going forward.

But that begs the question: why wasn't Stetson repping with the 2s from the beginning? Were we trying to develop CB quicker by giving him more quality reps? That kind of goes against Kirby's core philosophy of "the best guy plays".

It just seems crazy to me that there is a guy capable of winning the national championship (which I think he is) who heading into the season, wasn't even in the 2 deep at QB. Compounded by the fact that he this isn't someone we had no idea about, our coaching staff watched him play 6 SEC games last year. Just a wild story.

Reactions: Savannah_Dawg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.