ADVERTISEMENT

A few thoughts..

DVD-Dawg

Jedi Master
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2005
A few thoughts. Daddy-O Edition.

1. 2022 Returning Talent. So.. there is a Michigan podcaster, Steve Deace, who does a pretty good job of covering the Wolverines. For the past few years, he has done a returning team “talent ratings” before spring practice, where he basically assigns a grade of 5 to a 5-star recruit, a 4 to a 4-star recruit, and so on for the whole roster using the composite star rankings from the three major recruiting services. There are some nuances and caveats to his rating system, and I won’t bore you with them. But they are linked here if you have some time to kill.

Not surprisingly, each year he has done this, going back to 2017, either UGA or Bama has been 1 and 2 in his ratings. No surprise, there. He just did his ratings analysis for the 2022 season, and it looks like this:
Most-Talented-Rosters-2022.jpg

Just in case you are wondering, his 2021 spring ratings looked like this:

Most-Talented-Rosters-2021.jpg

So, what does this all mean, Daddy-O? Well, in short it means that this fall the Dawgs are gonna kick ass again.

2. Which SEC East team is most likely to give UGA a run? Aka, the “runner up” or, the “first loser”? Well, perusing SEC message boards this spring, it appears that Bama fans believe it will be USCe (really?), UTk fans believe it will be UF, and UF believes it will be UK. Once interesting point is that no SEC East fan base seems confident enough to pick their own team to dethrone UGA in 2022.

FWIW, our own fans are fairly split between which SEC East team will be next to defeat UGA, this year or in future years, with UF having a slight lead over UTk.

So, what does this all mean, Daddy-O? It means that the Dawgs, after all these years, have left our East rivals will little Hope of competing.

Hope.jpg
3. Therefore, assuming the Dawgs win the East again, who are the real 2022 CFP contenders? Well, the Vegas oddsmakers aren’t whack. It says here that three of the four 2022 CFP teams will very likely be Bama, Ohio St. and UGA, and not necessarily in this order. The fourth team? Name anyone from the remaining Top 10, just call it the “field”, and be done with it. Could be ND, or OU, Michigan, maybe even Clemson or USC.​
So, what does this all mean, Daddy-O? It means that the drop-off after #3.. is significant.

2023-CFP-odds.jpg

4. “It seems that everyone is picking Bama as the 2022 Natty fave. Are they a cinch to win it?” Heck no! I understand they return the Heisman winner, and the defensive player of the year. But it says here that Bama so far returns the same three pedestrian WRs that Saban through under the bus after the 2021 natty, and that traitor Burton. Should that strike fear into the Dawg’s D? No, it shouldn’t. Bama’s WRs in 2022 are a big step down from the Bama WR corp we have faced the past several years. There is no Williams, Mechie, Wadell, Smith, Jeudy, Ruggs, etc. on that squad. Bama has a few other holes to fill this year as well.​
What does it all mean, Daddy-O? Now, I’m not going to tell you that the Dawgs will just have their way with the Tide in the 2022 SECC or CFP. But I am telling you that the Dawgs no longer take a back seat to ANY TEAM in the pursuit of the CFP national championship, including Ala-damn-bama. Bama reloads, so does UGA. Game on.
Bama-WRs.jpg
5. Jimbo's rant about NIL: Did you watch the “Coaches Film Room” for the Natty? The A&M assistants are as charismatic as.. a toad. No way that staff only "worked hard" to land that class. No, it had everything to do with funneling NIL money, and maybe more than "just NIL" money.​
What does it all mean, Daddy-O? It means, come on Jimbo, gimme a break! You lying son of a gun.​
Jimbo.jpg
6. Kirby’s recent high school coaching clinic: Takeaways on DL include:​
1. Use DL to pass rush first, run fit second.​
2. Easier to recruit elite DL when you sell them on pass rush first, run fit second.​
What does it all mean, Daddy-O? No defensive lineman finds drawing a double team in a two-gap scheme to be "fun." One-gap penetration is a better recruiting sell. Apologies to Jordan Davis’s quote “If it’s two on me, someone else is free.”
Jordan-Davis.jpg

7. Stacey Searels. So I bit my tongue through the announcement of Kirby’s hire of Coach Searels. It was certainly eye-opening when a few prominent Vent insiders panned the selection, openly expressing hope for a “one and done” tenure. However, I recall when Coach Scott was on the Vent’s hot seat. Not that the Vent’s opinion matters one iota in the grand scheme, mind you. I will say, I am not pessimistic on the hire. Let’s see what happens. Will Searels fail to recruit? Under Kirby, I don’t see it. I know it is heresy, but UGA can almost recruit itself. Will Searels coach his OL down? I still don’t see it. Remember, preseason 2021 there were two perceived weaknesses that had to be answered for. The secondary, and the OL. Both came through.

What does it all mean, Daddy-O? Trust Kirby. He’s not perfect, but he’s earned it. Our OL will be fine in 2022, and will be a strength. They will be talented, and well-coached.

Searels.jpg

Go Dawgs!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.