ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Academy Sports

While I get the general premise of what you are saying, this is not something out of the ordinary.

I've worked in banking all my life, and its well known that if an employee attempted to stop a robbery that person would be fired.
I'm with you on this ... it sounds terrible that they did this, and perhaps a warning and suspension would have been better, but you just let the person go and call the police in a situation like this.

wait, so if you need something, and Academy Sports is the most convenient location for you to make that purchase, you are going to inconvenience yourself because they fired some guy who, in their mind, endangered his fellow employees?

Yep, it’s his money and he can chose where to spend it freely.

source.gif

wait, so if you need something, and Academy Sports is the most convenient location for you to make that purchase, you are going to inconvenience yourself because they fired some guy who, in their mind, endangered his fellow employees?
Is there an echo here?

While I get the general premise of what you are saying, this is not something out of the ordinary.

I've worked in banking all my life, and its well known that if an employee attempted to stop a robbery that person would be fired.
I wouldn’t recommend attempting to stop an armed robbery either, this is entirely different.

LOL - thanks for the feedback but this conversation is going a little deeper than free will. Might want to sit this one out.

I know you personally think the government should tell him where to spend his money because he’s not intelligent enough to figure it out on his own. Thank God for the ‘enlightened’ group always looking out for us.

I know you personally think the government should tell him where to spend his money because he’s not intelligent to figure it out on his own. Thank God for the ‘enlightened’ group always looking out for us.
LMAO - wut?

the gubment?

Relax - putting aside that Academy was correct in what it did - I am just saying don't let silly stuff affect you so significantly.

Reactions: Dawg 'n IT
well, to an extent, but your post invited it. However, my post goes quite a bit further - some dawgly advice - don't let silly things trigger you and affect your life.
Lol, shopping or (not shopping) at Academy Sports will hardly affect my life. But thank you for the advice and going so much deeper.

Lol, shopping or (not shopping) at Academy Sports will hardly affect my life. But thank you for the advice and going so much deeper.
then what is the point? If it is an insignificant part of your life why get all bent out of shape over this?

Do you live in Tallahassee? Do you know the guy who was fired?

Who’s bent out of shape?

I’m just not gonna shop there...there’s a million other places I can choose to spend my money at.
Well, you did come here and start an entire thread on the topic.

I can also only assume there was a reason you shopped there before and will now deny yourself that over something that happened to people you don't know by people you don't know in another part of the world.

That is all I am saying.

I understand the premise (all about liability) but their stated reason is that he is not allowed to place hands on a customer. That's a BS reason. There have to be exceptions for extreme circumstances. A guy stealing a firearm and ammo (unloaded weapon to that point) has to be an exception. The guy cannot be considered a customer at that point.

What if a customer fell down? Could an Academy employee help him/her up? That would be placing hands on a customer.

I think it is BS but I won't stop shopping at Academy. I have boycotted the hell out of Dick's Sporting Goods though. They can go straight to hell.

EDIT: Isn't there also a liability consideration for letting an otherwise unarmed man walk out of your store with a firearm and a box of ammo?

I understand the premise (all about liability) but their stated reason is that he is not allowed to place hands on a customer. That's a BS reason. There have to be exceptions for extreme circumstances. A guy stealing a firearm and ammo (unloaded weapon to that point) has to be an exception. The guy cannot be considered a customer at that point.

What if a customer fell down? Could an Academy employee help him/her up? That would be placing hands on a customer.

I think it is BS but I won't stop shopping at Academy. I have boycotted the hell out of Dick's Sporting Goods though. They can go straight to hell.

EDIT: Isn't there also a liability consideration for letting an otherwise unarmed man walk out of your store with a firearm and a box of ammo?
There would be exceptions but they don't want employees playing hero and wrestling thieves to the ground - especially those armed with a weapon and potentially armed with other weapons. It is a huge safety risk.

Just let them go and let law enforcement handle it.

I could easily see the viewpoint that the guys is a reckless employee (even if we admire his courage and respect his instincts - he likely is better served using those assets elsewhere).

Well, you did come here and start an entire thread on the topic.

I can also only assume there was a reason you shopped there before and will now deny yourself that over something that happened to people you don't know by people you don't know in another part of the world.

That is all I am saying.
If that's all you're saying about it, that's good enough for me.

Agree - it's a bit of stretch to call this guy a customer also. I think a thief would be a more accurate description.

Clearly, the guy didn't have time to think over company policy...he just reacted.

Reactions: HuntinDawg
Agree - it's a bit of stretch to call this guy a customer also. I think a thief would be a more accurate description.

Clearly, the guy didn't have time to think over company policy...he just reacted.
If it was your sporting goods store neither of you would want him working there. Or you shouldn’t.

Now a bouncer? Yeah

I mean how dumb can the people at Academy Sport be...I'll have to spend my dollars somewhere else.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sporti...lls-hero-dean-crouch-jason-white-tallahassee/

Yes, as a matter of fact, I will. Academy Sports is the closest to my home in Gainesville, GA. Dick’s Sporting Goods is at the Lakeshore Mall.

But I shop at Hibbett’s and Franklin’s Sports - why? Because they are friendly, locally/regionally owned and their politics either agrees with mine or they leave it entirely out of their business.

I not only vote in Primaries and General Elections, I use my feet and my truck to vote with my wallet.

LMAO - wut?

the gubment?

Relax - putting aside that Academy was correct in what it did - I am just saying don't let silly stuff affect you so significantly.

Why are you so affected by his choice not to go there? In your own words.....triggered :)

Reactions: 1966septemberdawg
Yes, as a matter of fact, I will. Academy Sports is the closest to my home in Gainesville, GA. Dick’s Sporting Goods is at the Lakeshore Mall.

But I shop at Hibbett’s and Franklin’s Sports - why? Because they are friendly, locally/regionally owned and their politics either agrees with mine or they leave it entirely out of their business.

I not only vote in Primaries and General Elections, I use my feet and my truck to vote with my wallet.
Hibbett’s isn’t locally owned - sorry.

It is sporting goods - not some political statement. Shop where it is convenient and budget friendly and get you Jim Jim’s rustled over something actually worthwhile in life.

Why are you so affected by his choice not to go there? In your own words.....triggered :)
You are trying to hard.

He posted here - I am just trying to help out a fellow dawg not be so sensitive. Improving the lives of my fellow dawgs one post at a time.

Now your involvement here - solely to follow me around - is exhibit a of “to the max”

You are trying to hard.

He posted here - I am just trying to help out a fellow dawg not be so sensitive. Improving the lives of my fellow dawgs one post at a time.

Now your involvement here - solely to follow me around - is exhibit a of “to the max”

Cool, so take your own advice and don’t be so sensitive in the soccer threads going forward. Winning

Reactions: 1966septemberdawg

Hibbett’s isn’t locally owned - sorry.

It is sporting goods - not some political statement. Shop where it is convenient and budget friendly and get you Jim Jim’s rustled over something actually worthwhile in life.

That’s why I said, “locally-SLASH-regionally owned”. Hibbett’s is Regionally-owned. HQ’d in Birmingham.

I don’t get rustled about politics at all. But businesses who want my business better realize if they don’t STFU about politics they risk losing my patronage. I don’t go where I’m not wanted.

That’s why I said, “locally-SLASH-regionally owned”. Hibbett’s is Regionally-owned. HQ’d in Birmingham.

I don’t get rustled about politics at all. But businesses who want my business better realize if they don’t STFU about politics they risk losing my patronage. I don’t go where I’m not wanted.
Wait? You don’t get rustled by politics but let politics - or better yet your perceived politics - dictate where you but sporting goods?

Naw

Agree, Bass Pro clearly has a superior PR department when compared to Academy.
Probably true - but you understand pr is all about manipulating people, right? Make people shop there over what is in the big picture nothing.

At least academy did the right thing and fired that reckless man.

Probably true - but you understand pr is all about manipulating people, right? Make people shop there over what is in the big picture nothing.

At least academy did the right thing and fired that reckless man.
They are clearly making a noble stand.

They are clearly making a noble stand.
I don’t know about noble but smart.

Nobody wants some yahoo working retail playing Rambo and trying to wrestle some crazy man with a gun to the ground.

Just forget the nra ever got involved and think about it for a minute.

I don’t know about noble but smart.

Nobody wants some yahoo working retail playing Rambo and trying to wrestle some crazy man with a gun to the ground.

Just forget the nra ever got involved and think about it for a minute.
I could care less about the NRA being involved, although I'm sure the person that the guy literally says he was going to go shoot and kill are glad he played Rambo.

As I said above its one thing to wrestle a loaded Firearm away from a robber...clearly a bad choice. For a 32-year-old to take someone down when you know the weapon is unloaded is the right thing to do, IMO. I just don't think you can lump it all into the same box but if you disagree that's fine too.

Reactions: HuntinDawg
I could care less about the NRA being involved, although I'm sure the person that the guy literally says he was going to go shoot and kill are glad he played Rambo.

As I said above its one thing to wrestle a loaded Firearm away from a robber...clearly a bad choice. For a 32-year-old to take someone down when you know the weapon is unloaded is the right thing to do, IMO. I just don't think you can lump it all into the same box but if you disagree that's fine too.
He didn’t know if he had another weapon on him and he was a carrying a gun and ammo..

ADVERTISEMENT