ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Advice Needed: On a scale of 1-5, how pissed off should I be. I cant tell so I am reaching out for the

MiddleTennDawg

I'm your huckleberry
Gold Member
Sep 2, 2002
Galveston Island, Texas
Wisdom of the Vent.

So, I am in lovely Detroit on business. I have had 3 knee surgeries in 6 weeks, my last being roughly 3 weeks ago. I am on crutches but doing ok. I "walk" to the lobby to hit the hotel pantry and they have no drinks. (Also no ice cream, but that doesnt apply here). The manager sees me and my struggles. I asked the Manager, a Marriott franchisee, about the lack of soft drinks or water and she said.......wait for it....."We dont really pay much attention to the drink cooler. There is a Walmart right over there (pointing). If you want something to drink, they have all you need"

Now, I am a pretty calm guy. I am also a Marriott Titanium Platinum Big Kahuna Top Tier member.

How pissed should I be? I think my compass is off because I wanted to say bad words to her.

maxresdefault.jpg

Consider myself a frequent traveler in the HGI/Courtyard type property. I never rely on the hotel for anything and have very low expectations. You are SOL. Also from my recent experiences service industries don’t really care about the customer right now. They’re pissed off being at work while their friends collect about same amount of money to not work.
My thought is that a hotel either has it, or doesnt. Dont half ass it either way. If you are going to have a pantry, then stock the damn thing.

Absolutely blast them to your Marriott Bonvoy account. At least get some points. But, yeah, the reason I'm working for a Robotics company in the restaurant industry is because low expectations in employees has just gotten so bad that you're getting people who can't do anything else in these low-paying jobs. If they were better, they'd be your Lyft driver. Why can't a robot handle your keys for you? Idea for my department.

Marriott Lifetime Platinum member here.

The manager likely doesn't know you're Titanium Elite from that interaction, but I'd be pissed at the lack of courtesy since you're on crutches. It's also a terrible thing to say to anyone, much less an elite member.

Turrible, but get your crippled ass to Walmart and pick up some ice cream, too, while you're there.

Don’t argue with the manager. Politely ask for the owner’s email address if it is a franchise property.

Document the event - get the name of the woman who said that to you and then calmly describe the event to the property owner and the top three people (CEO, etc.) at Marriott corporate in an email.

You can find out who those people are (and the corporate email format) for Marriott by digging around online in less than 10 minutes.

Within a week that manager will not have a job and you will get a long free stay at the Marriott property of your choice.

Wisdom of the Vent.

So, I am in lovely Detroit on business. I have had 3 knee surgeries in 6 weeks, my last being roughly 3 weeks ago. I am on crutches but doing ok. I "walk" to the lobby to hit the hotel pantry and they have no drinks. (Also no ice cream, but that doesnt apply here). The manager sees me and my struggles. I asked the Manager, a Marriott franchisee, about the lack of soft drinks or water and she said.......wait for it....."We dont really pay much attention to the drink cooler. There is a Walmart right over there (pointing). If you want something to drink, they have all you need"

Now, I am a pretty calm guy. I am also a Marriott Titanium Platinum Big Kahuna Top Tier member.

How pissed should I be? I think my compass is off because I wanted to say bad words to her.

maxresdefault.jpg

I would get the owners info. Have the date, time, and most importantly the person. Did they offer some kind of assistance in terms of resource for who you can contact for delivery given your inability to get around easily right now?

That part is even more egregious.

Also, get the Bonvoy folks involved.

Reactions: HuntinDawg
Wisdom of the Vent.

maxresdefault.jpg
Like a 1? I mean maybe the manager could have been a little more sympathetic but what’d you want her to do? Drive you to wal mart?

Customer service is a lost art. Even some of the replies on this thread show that as fact.
Any Marriott manager worth a plug nickel would have made some effort to try to accomadate you.

I would be raising holy heck with everyone from the property owner to the CEO of Marriott.

Wisdom of the Vent.

maxresdefault.jpg

Use the crutches to beat that rude and Yankee down

Don’t argue with the manager. Politely ask for the owner’s email address if it is a franchise property.

Document the event - get the name of the woman who said that to you and then calmly describe the event to the property owner and the top three people (CEO, etc.) at Marriott corporate in an email.

You can find out who those people are (and the corporate email format) for Marriott by digging around online in less than 10 minutes.

Within a week that manager will not have a job and you will get a long free stay at the Marriott property of your choice.
Obviously you speak from experience, savage

You sound like a man that the service industry has beatdown so badly. That you have zero expectations of good service.
OP is at the Fairfield Inn somewhere and they don’t have drinks. Man that sucks but the manager really can’t do anything about it beyond say “lol sorry” at that point. I’m all for people getting good service but what exactly is the manager supposed to do? Order him doordash?

Reactions: Jefferson_GA20
You sound like a man that the service industry has beatdown so badly. That you have zero expectations of good service.
Seems like the manager did her job. She recommended a place that has about anything you'd want to drink. And within hobbling distance.

This advice is good and works for most customer service scenarios. Have racked up some decent apology gifts from airlines using similar.

At least, for the companies who care

Reactions: scottmac1972
Food pantries should be stocked and smart ass managers have no place in the hotel industry...period. Way too many excuses for jack asses nowadays so it’s good to fight back every now and then.

OP is at the Fairfield Inn somewhere and they don’t have drinks. Man that sucks but the manager really can’t do anything about it beyond say “lol sorry” at that point. I’m all for people getting good service but what exactly is the manager supposed to do? Order him doordash?

not say “oh we don’t pay attention to the cooler but you can go to Walmart”

it would seem that one of the jobs of the manager would be to make sure the hotel is stocked. All she has to do is give a shit and order the damn drinks before they run out.

This is actually a Big Win situation for you. Just call Uber and tell the driver you'll pay him to goto WalMart and buy you a small cooler and drinks. Some beer / wine, too. Couple of pizzas while he's at it. Then tell the driver to invite a few of his friends over for a party in your room... your treat. Meanwhile, call Lyft to take you to another hotel. When the Uber driver and his friends return hand him the Marriott room key, hop in the Lyft car to your new abode with drinks in hand. Problem is now the idiot who talked badly to you. Expense everything. Write an email to Marriott at your convenience demanding points and stay at a Marriott Resort of your choice. You may thank me later.

Reactions: MiddleTennDawg
not say “oh we don’t pay attention to the cooler but you can go to Walmart”

it would seem that one of the jobs of the manager would be to make sure the hotel is stocked. All she has to do is give a shit and order the damn drinks before they run out.
Ah-HA! "Give a sh!t" is the operative phrase.

Wisdom of the Vent.

maxresdefault.jpg
The manager doesn’t seem to want/need her job based on her response. You are the customer and have every right to be upset about the inconvenience and the piss poor attitude of the manager, especially considering your knee injury. How difficult is it to keep a drink cooler stocked?

Is it corporate or franchise? Not sure what good it would do with corporate, but if it's a franchise and you write Marriott corporate, they'll likely threaten to yank the name. I worked at a franchise one in grad school and they were always scared crapless about their guest satisfaction scores and losing the name.

Wisdom of the Vent.

maxresdefault.jpg
Ask her to send someone over to WalMart since it’s *right over there*

I’m guessing your admin booked one with crappy reviews.

I’m a platinum member and have never ran into that. However, I haven’t travelled much since Covid and customer service has definitely taken a hit.

Wisdom of the Vent.

maxresdefault.jpg
Hilton guy. Service is consistently good

Reactions: uga134
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT