ADVERTISEMENT

Aetna CEO: Obamacare can't be repealed, but can be fixed

dawgfood0612

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2008
Now I'm sure there are a lot of Dawgchatters out there that know a lot more about healthcare insurance than the CEO of Aetna, can't wait to hear your pearls of wisdom.

We need to move on to single-payer, universal health care.

I should not have to pay these co-pays.

There is just too much money in the medical field. MDs make too much. It needs to be brought back down. We spend way more than any country.

There is just too much money in the medical field. MDs make too much. It needs to be brought back down. We spend way more than any country.

Do u have any idea what universal Medicare would cost?

Reactions: PotimusWillie
Do u have any idea what universal Medicare would cost?

We spend more than other countries because their medical care sucks. They also don't have legal system we have.

If you took that out of the equation, the cost lowers drastically.

I am always amazed how anyone proposes that the government control and fund anything.

A fact of life is that if you spend more than you take in, you lose.

We spend more than other countries because their medical care sucks. They also don't have legal system we have.

I am always amazed how anyone proposes that the government control and fund anything.

A fact of life is that if you spend more than you take in, you lose.
That is just not true. No where will you find any legitimate study that states that. We pay more and get less compared to any other country in the world......and that was even before ACA.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danmun...-compared-to-10-other-countries/#3d7d81d4576f

Dr's should make significant amounts of money, given the talents that they have and the amount of study/training they must perform.

One area our for profit model needs significant work is all the for profit hospital chains that keep showing up (I work in an industry that leases equipment to healthcare providers. For many of these for profit chains, if you show up at one of their hospitals with a hangnail, they are going to order a MRI, two CT's and admit you for a couple of days ( I am only slightly exaggerating). The chains are requiring the docs to order all these worthless tests, and the consumer doesn't care as insurance/the government is paying the bill. If the chains get caught, they get a fine that doesn't come close to the amount of money that has been over charged (the fine is essentially a cost of doing business). Without the profit incentive for the hospitals, these unnecessary tests don't get ordered.

Just my two cents.

Dr's should make significant amounts of money, given the talents that they have and the amount of study/training they must perform.

One area our for profit model needs significant work is all the for profit hospital chains that keep showing up (I work in an industry that leases equipment to healthcare providers. For many of these for profit chains, if you show up at one of their hospitals with a hangnail, they are going to order a MRI, two CT's and admit you for a couple of days ( I am only slightly exaggerating). The chains are requiring the docs to order all these worthless tests, and the consumer doesn't care as insurance/the government is paying the bill. If the chains get caught, they get a fine that doesn't come close to the amount of money that has been over charged (the fine is essentially a cost of doing business). Without the profit incentive for the hospitals, these unnecessary tests don't get ordered.

Just my two cents.
Why would hospitals be in business, if not for profit?

Reactions: nellis79
Now I'm sure there are a lot of Dawgchatters out there that know a lot more about healthcare insurance than the CEO of Aetna, can't wait to hear your pearls of wisdom.
Here's what I know. I'm not going to pay for your healthcare, and nobody can make me. If nothing is done about the hot mess that Obama, Pelosi, Reid and the other DA Lefties created (and conveniently exempted themselves from) isn't replaced, there will be a huge upheaval with various medical groups, hospitals and others creating their own pools. If you can afford it, you're in. If you can't, tough luck. You'll be on Medicaid, standing on long lines to receive shitty care. So, you DA Lefties who are giggling now will eventually realize (when it's too late) that you ultimately harmed the very people that you claim to want to help. It'll be worse than ever.

And don't even think about single payer. The majority of the Country is wise enough to know it doesn't work. If the GOP doesn't get something done nobody will trust Congress (Dem or GOP) to fix it. You dumb Lefties better wake up and recognize that it's in your own self interest to work with Trump and the GOP on this issue.

What do you do? I'm sure you make to much based on your idiotic statements. You probably live off the government tit don't you?

Whatever you make it is to much. I deserve some of it

Md salary runs about 15 percent of total Medicare budget. Your Er bill averages about $200 to the doctor and on average $1200 to the hospital. I don't think you grasp medical spending nor where to actually save money in the US medical system. You realize that Medicare and Medicaid by law can not group negotiate for prices of medicines. Part d did this. The real money in medicine is not at the doctor level. It just isn't. The average pediatrician in the US makes $88k a year. the average internal medicine doctor makes $205k. For all the school and residency training this is peanuts. The problem isn't the docs.

Reactions: shonuff253
Md salary runs about 15 percent of total Medicare budget. Your Er bill averages about $200 to the doctor and on average $1200 to the hospital. I don't think you grasp medical spending nor where to actually save money in the US medical system. You realize that Medicare and Medicaid by law can not group negotiate for prices of medicines. Part d did this. The real money in medicine is not at the doctor level. It just isn't. The average pediatrician in the US makes $88k a year. the average internal medicine doctor makes $205k. For all the school and residency training this is peanuts. The problem isn't the docs.

Good cut it from 15% to 7.5% and I will be happy.

Ag Eng, I want the person operating on my heart to be one smart/talented you know what, so the pay needs to be high to get that kind of person.

Japan's and Canada's health care are very good. You can find faults anywhere. I know that it's expensive, but as a country, our's is not that great.
0006_health-care-oecd-full.gif

Last edited:
Japan's and Canada's health care are very good. You can find faults anywhere. I know that it's expensive, but as a country, our's is not that great.
0006_health-care-oecd-full.gif

I wonder why Canadians come across the border for our health care and pay for it . My doctor has told me that when they plan to come south they will call ahead and schedule appointments for everything from the Dentist to the medical folks they need to see .........including the Optometrist !

Just my two cents.

Dr's usually have over $200,000 in debt when they grad from med school. This number came from the Medical College of Georgia.

That is just not true. No where will you find any legitimate study that states that. We pay more and get less compared to any other country in the world......and that was even before ACA.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danmun...-compared-to-10-other-countries/#3d7d81d4576f

Primarily because other countries don't have the legal system we have. Between the fact an average Dr. pays off college costs in his 50's and the cost for malpractice insurance, it is going to be more here.

We probably graduate more lawyers than doctors. Watch TV and they are setting up class action suits against every single drug, surgery procedure or action taken by Drs. in this country.

I would venture to say the average doctor makes less net profit than 20 years ago. Would like to see the study.

The over regulating by government and the legal decisions being made in our courts drives the cost out of sight.

Now, if we really want to drive up the cost and choke out the citizens, keep this impossible to fund insurance we have in place now. We cannot afford it, no matter how many "wealthy" people we tap out.

Primarily because other countries don't have the legal system we have. Between the fact an average Dr. pays off college costs in his 50's and the cost for malpractice insurance, it is going to be more here.

We probably graduate more lawyers than doctors. Watch TV and they are setting up class action suits against every single drug, surgery procedure or action taken by Drs. in this country.

I would venture to say the average doctor makes less net profit than 20 years ago. Would like to see the study.

The over regulating by government and the legal decisions being made in our courts drives the cost out of sight.

Now, if we really want to drive up the cost and choke out the citizens, keep this impossible to fund insurance we have in place now. We cannot afford it, no matter how many "wealthy" people we tap out.
While I can't say for certain because like you said there's no study out there, no way doctors make less net profit than 20 years ago. My brother and sister in law are both doctors (OB and GP) and combine after taxes, tuition and insurance they bring in $24K a month.

Also malpractice insurance and college tuition cost are not the big drivers on why we pay more. Again you're just saying crap trying to prove your point.

Reactions: Lionel Mandrake
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT