ADVERTISEMENT

After a hurricane destroys towns and kills innocents and the Middle East destroys itself, the port workers strike

PotimusWillie

B2B Caffeinated Nat’l Champion
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2009
On top of an economy that the average family can’t afford already. How self indulged can you get?

Explain to me again the value of unions in 2024. Be great if they could just fire them all and hire new workers.

Life is so hard for the union workers…….

Reactions: 3 Pete
On top of an economy that the average family can’t afford already. How self indulged can you get?

Explain to me again the value of unions in 2024. Be great if they could just fire them all and hire new workers.

It’s going to be a long 5 weeks and it is only the first day of October. Still a lot to come I am afraid.

“Hire some new workers to work the Ports” illustrates your ignorance of what happens there.

It’s not Wendy’s.

The ILA guys i knew in the 80’s all made too much too soon. Lot of alcoholism and 2nd and 3rd marriages. They’re in the union because their dad was. They start making big money and have no discipline to spend wisely and save.

Reactions: JackRussellDawg
The ILA guys i knew in the 80’s all made too much too soon. Lot of alcoholism and 2nd and 3rd marriages. They’re in the union because their dad was. They start making big money and have no discipline to spend wisely and save.
That’s true. Nothing has changed. But the Union on the Ports will never go away. And the Ports profits are up 75% since the last contract. Some of that gets passed along via container bonuses, but not much.

During my career, I did a lot of business with local unions, including the ILA. I often had to swallow hard and bite my tongue as I sat across the desk of a union boss as he went off on some liberal diatribe while having Hidebeast campaign signs proudly displayed in his office.

I can tell you from personal experience that local unions are some of the most poorly managed, inefficient, and expensive operations that cost their members immensely versus the benefits they received. It literally blew my mind. However, as a disciple of capitalism, I was glad to take their money.

During my career, I did a lot of business with local unions, including the ILA. I often had to swallow hard and bite my tongue as I sat across the desk of a union boss as he went off on some liberal diatribe while having Hidebeast campaign signs proudly displayed in his office.

I can tell you from personal experience that local unions are some of the most poorly managed, inefficient, and expensive operations that cost their members immensely versus the benefits they received. It literally blew my mind. However, as a disciple of capitalism, I was glad to take their money.
The ILA is corrupt from top to bottom. But they are an absolute fact of life at the Port. My buddy that’s upper level told me “love us or hate us but you can’t fuc* us”. The ports profits are way up and the workers are gonna get a fair share. Question is what is fair. I would not pretend to know.

The problem isn't wages or benefits. Not that many workers are needed anymore to man the docks - many functions are automated. So the workers in a dying industry want a guarantee of future jobs. They need retraining. How many electric typewriter repairmen are needed today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT