ADVERTISEMENT

Another Insurance - Diminished Value Question

poochpup

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
Jul 12, 2003
Elderly Friend of mine. Her 2017 Cadillac was hit by big company truck, hauling lumber, etc... Truck driver's fault. Truck driver was rude to her. She was sitting still, he just ran right through a red light and hit her. Happened here in our local town, city limits (Hartwell, GA). Car has been repaired. My friend new NOTHING of diminished value. I told her to ask about it. I do not know the insurance company name of the at fault party. But the adjuster has been nasty toward my friend. Said they did not owe her anything. They paid for new parts to be put on vehicle. I told her that did not matter. By Georgia law, they had to pay DV. She told adjustor that but he basically flipped her off. She has insurance company name; adjustor name; etc... She is creating a record of communication, etc... to file a complaint w/Insurance Commissioner. But, she apparently signed some form of paper (not sure what it is). HER insurance agent and company has not been much help to her with advice or info. Just said, "well, I warned you about signing stuff .. but you can give it a try:... I attribute that to them just trying to protect their field. I successfully filed a similar account on my behalf a few years ago (hit by another car) and at-fault company went from $0 to $750 (probably still low). I am going to help her tomorrow file a complaint (access insurance commissioner; upload documents; etc... of course under her name). She does not know how (tech) to do all that. I would think her 2017 Cadillac certainly has DV. Any other advice or suggestions?

Elderly Friend of mine. Her 2017 Cadillac was hit by big company truck, hauling lumber, etc... Truck driver's fault. Truck driver was rude to her. She was sitting still, he just ran right through a red light and hit her. Happened here in our local town, city limits (Hartwell, GA). Car has been repaired. My friend new NOTHING of diminished value. I told her to ask about it. I do not know the insurance company name of the at fault party. But the adjuster has been nasty toward my friend. Said they did not owe her anything. They paid for new parts to be put on vehicle. I told her that did not matter. By Georgia law, they had to pay DV. She told adjustor that but he basically flipped her off. She has insurance company name; adjustor name; etc... She is creating a record of communication, etc... to file a complaint w/Insurance Commissioner. But, she apparently signed some form of paper (not sure what it is). HER insurance agent and company has not been much help to her with advice or info. Just said, "well, I warned you about signing stuff .. but you can give it a try:... I attribute that to them just trying to protect their field. I successfully filed a similar account on my behalf a few years ago (hit by another car) and at-fault company went from $0 to $750 (probably still low). I am going to help her tomorrow file a complaint (access insurance commissioner; upload documents; etc... of course under her name). She does not know how (tech) to do all that. I would think her 2017 Cadillac certainly has DV. Any other advice or suggestions?

Does she have a copy of whatever it was that she signed? If not, I'd request a copy. And, then I'd proceed on with my complaint to the insurance commissioner's office, pooch. Won't hurt a thing to try.

Reactions: poochpup
Does she have a copy of whatever it was that she signed? If not, I'd request a copy. And, then I'd proceed on with my complaint to the insurance commissioner's office, pooch. Won't hurt a thing to try.
Yep GB. I think she does. Her local insurance agent here in town sent her a copy - I think. I told her to bring it and let me see it. Absolutely does not hurt to try. The fact that the driver AND the adjuster for the ins. company have been pretty rude to her makes me want to help. She is in her 80s. Her 2017 Cadi was nice! I got $750 on Acura by filing a complaint after something similar, ins. company (other party) said they didn't have to pay. And the other party in my case was a BIG and well-known company. I begged to differ. ))

Yep GB. I think she does. Her local insurance agent here in town sent her a copy - I think. I told her to bring it and let me see it. Absolutely does not hurt to try. The fact that the driver AND the adjuster for the ins. company have been pretty rude to her makes me want to help. She is in her 80s. Her 2017 Cadi was nice! I got $750 on Acura by filing a complaint after something similar, ins. company (other party) said they didn't have to pay. And the other party in my case was a BIG and well-known company. I begged to differ. ))
I hope it works out well for her. Kudos to you for helping her!

On a related side note, my son hit a raccoon earlier this year and it did about $800 worth of damage to his car's front end. Hated to file a claim and have it show up on CarFax later, but he needed the money for repairs so he did. His car is a 2018. DV didn't even cross my mind, but he got a check in the mail a few weeks later for the DV. Came unprompted. Wasn't a lot of money - $200, iirc - but he was tickled to get it. Had to explain what the check was for. In his case, thankfully, his claims guy was super nice.

Go to the Commissioners website. Fill out the online form. I did last July after Progressive treated me like crap. Get online tools like Kbb.com , Carvana etc to back you up. I never talked to anyone at the Commissioners office but Progressive contacted me. Before that they told me to hire an independent appraiser and they would look at it.

Kinda funny but I had just gotten a great quote from Progressive. I am still with Allstate.

This crap has gone on for about 40 years. I was an insurance agent when the Georgia Supreme court ruled for DV. The Legislature needs stronger laws for these companies DV handling.

Has she got a sore neck?

Go to the Commissioners website. Fill out the online form. I did last July after Progressive treated me like crap. Get online tools like Kbb.com , Carvana etc to back you up. I never talked to anyone at the Commissioners office but Progressive contacted me. Before that they told me to hire an independent appraiser and they would look at it.

Kinda funny but I had just gotten a great quote from Progressive. I am still with Allstate.

This crap has gone on for about 40 years. I was an insurance agent when the Georgia Supreme court ruled for DV. The Legislature needs stronger laws for these companies DV handling.

Has she got a sore neck?
yes, just filled a complaint this afternoon for my friend on the complaint portal of Insurance Commissioner's website. I did the same thing for ME a couple years ago. Insurance company went from $0 to rather significant amount as a result of the complaint for me. My friend is over 80 yrs. old. The accident involved an 18-wheeler on I-85 in Gwinnett county. Traffic was literally bumper-to-bumper and a standstill. 18-wheeler was behind my friend and ran into her... and KEPT pushing her forward. He realized what he did, found a way to pull off... and then blamed HER to her face for the accident saying she pulled in front of him. Georgia Crash report got it correct - his fault. The adjustor for at-fault insurance company (based out of Indiana) tried to belittle and intimidate my 80 year old, female widowed friend. She asked about DV and he said they owed her nothing. He would send her $2 he said multiple times. Very rude and condescending. Her vehicle was a nice 2017 Cadillac CTS Luxury Supreme. She only had it for two months before this accident. Yes, I helped my friend file a complaint with all the details and uploaded documents. Thx bro!

yes, just filled a complaint this afternoon for my friend on the complaint portal of Insurance Commissioner's website. I did the same thing for ME a couple years ago. Insurance company went from $0 to rather significant amount as a result of the complaint for me. My friend is over 80 yrs. old. The accident involved an 18-wheeler on I-85 in Gwinnett county. Traffic was literally bumper-to-bumper and a standstill. 18-wheeler was behind my friend and ran into her... and KEPT pushing her forward. He realized what he did, found a way to pull off... and then blamed HER to her face for the accident saying she pulled in front of him. Georgia Crash report got it correct - his fault. The adjustor for at-fault insurance company (based out of Indiana) tried to belittle and intimidate my 80 year old, female widowed friend. She asked about DV and he said they owed her nothing. He would send her $2 he said multiple times. Very rude and condescending. Her vehicle was a nice 2017 Cadillac CTS Luxury Supreme. She only had it for two months before this accident. Yes, I helped my friend file a complaint with all the details and uploaded documents. Thx bro!
Good Lord, that insurance dude was a jerk, wasn't he? I hope you included the $2 offer in the Complaint.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT