ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Mackie on Hollywood

I am a huge Anthony Mackie fan and he's right, though there are other factors - covid accelerating straight to streaming, better televisions, better home stereo systems, corporate consolidation of theaters, corporate ownership and consolidation of studios, etc. encoded in what he's saying. And superhero movies are just one symptom - remakes and infinite sequels are just as boring to contemplate (carveout for the Jurassic Park series, which has always been terribly written but I will go see as many as they want to make).

Reactions: shonuff253
Yeah hollywood just puts out one unoriginal project after another now. Like they're redoing Quantum Leap....really? Don't get me wrong loved the show when I was a kid but...really? I'm having a difficult time thinking of a good TV show or movie that wasn't a derivative somehow. Atlanta on FX and Yellowstone but that's it.

@nice marmot
I am a huge Anthony Mackie fan and he's right, though there are other factors - covid accelerating straight to streaming, better televisions, better home stereo systems, corporate consolidation of theaters, corporate ownership and consolidation of studios, etc. encoded in what he's saying. And superhero movies are just one symptom - remakes and infinite sequels are just as boring to contemplate (carveout for the Jurassic Park series, which has always been terribly written but I will go see as many as they want to make).
I saw the Disney publicity release for their coming projects. Huge number of sequels, prequels, remakes and live action versions of classic animation. Not a lot of new stories.

Disney Showcase

Last edited:
Yeah hollywood just puts out one unoriginal project after another now. Like they're redoing Quantum Leap....really? Don't get me wrong loved the show when I was a kid but...really? I'm having a difficult time thinking of a good TV show or movie that wasn't a derivative somehow. Atlanta on FX and Yellowstone but that's it.
I forced my way through the first episode of the new Quantum Leap. They are doing it as a sequel to the original series. They mention that Sam Beckett never made it back, leaving open the inevitable Scott Bakula cameo.

I saw the Disney publicity release for their coming projects. Huge number of sequels, prequels, remakes and live action versions of classic animation. Not a lot of new stories.

Disney Showcase
in fairness, Andor is supposed to be good. Let's hope. I will say that Rogue One was what Star Wars should have been all along (after the first three) .

in fairness, Andor is supposed to be good. Let's hope. I will say that Rogue One was what Star Wars should have been all along (after the first three) .
I know this is a pretty old bump, but I just finished watching Andor, and it was fantastic. One of the best seasons of TV I've watched in a long time. You don't even have to like or know Star Wars at all to enjoy it IMO, it was that good.

And I agree on Rogue One, probably my favorite Star Wars movie, at least outside of the original three, which I find hard to compare sometimes since they came out when I was a kid and have always been massive cultural touchstones.

I know this is a pretty old bump, but I just finished watching Andor, and it was fantastic. One of the best seasons of TV I've watched in a long time. You don't even have to like or know Star Wars at all to enjoy it IMO, it was that good.

And I agree on Rogue One, probably my favorite Star Wars movie, at least outside of the original three, which I find hard to compare sometimes since they came out when I was a kid and have always been massive cultural touchstones.
The Mandalorian, the Book of Boba Fet, Andor, and Obi Wan have been solid series on Disney Plus. However I’ve seen pretty much everything Star Wars has ever put out. Obviously not a prequel fan although the last three were decent.

Reactions: FivePtsDawg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT