ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody familiar with the Outer Banks?

Never been but thinking about going there for vacation.
Any suggestions about traveling there, what to expect, etc?
Beautiful IMHO.
You can expect a lot of driving and ferries. I would not rent a beach house for a week like I would most anywhere else.
I did all of the Outer Banks in 2006. Drove to Wilmington from Savannah, took the Cedar Island Ferry to Ockracoke. Ockracoke has some cool restaurants and bars and you can also camp there. Spent a night at a B and B and then drove up to another ferry and made my way through Hatteras stopping for beach time, then up to Kill Devil Hills. KDH is more of a traditional beach town with hotels, etc.

Saw Kitty Hawk while there and took day trips up to Duck and Corolla. Went back for another night at Ockracoke before I headed home. I recommend this trip because it is different and because of how inconvenient it is. Do it once and you won't have to wonder. I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had 7-8 days.

Dash - I had a few rental homes in OBX and lived in Duck for several yrs before moving back to Atl in 2009 (been meaning to update my handle...). You'll love it if you decide to go, great experiences on both north and south ends but very different - depends on what you're looking for. Let me know if I can help.

Dash - I had a few rental homes in OBX and lived in Duck for several yrs before moving back to Atl in 2009 (been meaning to update my handle...). You'll love it if you decide to go, great experiences on both north and south ends but very different - depends on what you're looking for. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks man....yeah, I've never been. Always wanted to go. I know it's a long drive, but I'm not worried about that.
Basically just want to know what its like

Reactions: GATA Hack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT