ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg AP Government & Politics

HoosiersDawg

Kirby’s Visor Vender
Gold Member
Oct 10, 2020
Any other AP Gov teachers on here? I moved from 8th grade US history up to HS when the opportunity came up. Teaching AP is something I’ve wanted to do. Just looking for any good resources/ideas. Thought I would ask y’all before turning anywhere else.

Any other AP Gov teachers on here? I moved from 8th grade US history up to HS when the opportunity came up. Teaching AP is something I’ve wanted to do. Just looking for any good resources/ideas. Thought I would ask y’all before turning anywhere else.
tumblr_ltsomig4fc1qmf6dp.gif

I've taught AP US and AP World history but never Govt. If your students can afford it, the prep book "5 for 5" is good no matter what AP content you teach. Best advice I can give you if there's not another teacher in your building or system that will share what they already have is to just do google searches and you'll figure out pretty quickly what teachers are out there that are good at teaching that content and also share there stuff for anyone to use.

I've taught AP US and AP World history but never Govt. If your students can afford it, the prep book "5 for 5" is good no matter what AP content you teach. Best advice I can give you if there's not another teacher in your building or system that will share what they already have is to just do google searches and you'll figure out pretty quickly what teachers are out there that are good at teaching that content and also share there stuff for anyone to use.
My daughter might be “schedule conflict” put into “AP Seminar”…

It doesn’t look like this maps to anything at UGA but the course doesn’t sound too bad. Do you have any additional info about that class?

Don't have much to add to help you, but that was one of my favorite classes in HS. Good luck!

I don't teach this one. But I have taught AP United States History and AP European History for years. A good starting point would be going to AP Classroom. This is done though the College Board. Once you are registered through your school you will have access. They have test banks that you can use as well. Also, subscribe to the message board for this class and set it to send postings to your email. A lot of great resources will be shared this way. I suggest the Amsco book for this course as a supplement. It is available online.

Last edited:

It doesn’t look like this maps to anything at UGA but the course doesn’t sound too bad. Do you have any additional info about that class?
I've never even heard of that class but in my opinion with the way AP exams are now it's really hard to get the course to count toward college credit. Used to be that scoring a 3 got you college credit, now it takes 4s and sometimes even 5s on that exam to get it to count toward college credit. If my son was in high school right now the only reason I would put him in AP is if I lived in one of those counties in the state that kids with 4.0s and 1500 SAT scores are still getting turned away by the UGA admissions. In one of those counties getting As in AP courses may be what separates students. Any other reason to be in AP: rigor, college credit, etc. I would enroll my son in a dual enrollment course to gain that rigor and college credit. That is my personal and professional opinion on AP courses as they are today.

I taught this a couple of years back. Cool class. It is difficult to describe though. The pathway is for her to take AP Research next year as well. If she passes both AP exams, and I think two other AP classes, she will get a special AP diploma. It is supposed to look really good on college transcripts. This is how I remember things at least.

Reactions: CalienteDawg
I taught this a couple of years back. Cool class. It is difficult to describe though. The pathway is for her to take AP Research next year as well. If she passes both AP exams, and I think two other AP classes, she will get a special AP diploma. It is supposed to look really good on college transcripts. This is how I remember things at least.
Thanks, That’s helpful and I’m now going down this rabbit hole….AP Capstone Diploma.

Reactions: HatesTech
I love history. Watch random documentaries and listen to as many podcasts on it as I can

Same. Totally random, but spent a couple hours at an airport bar Tuesday evening and ended up next to a English lady who was doing her PhD at UVA on 1970s American politics and I was in full on nerd mode lol

Reactions: Utley1992
Same. Totally random, but spent a couple hours at an airport bar Tuesday evening and ended up next to a English lady who was doing her PhD at UVA on 1970s American politics and I was in full on nerd mode lol
Highly recommend Dan Carlin if you're into 4 or 5 hour long podcast on history

Reactions: zxby140
Yeah I've listened to a couple of his. The World War 1 series is just fantastic.
That's the one that always gets recommended to me. I need to check it out. The Warrh of Khans is the best that I've heard so far. I'm not far into Age of Napoleon but it's pretty good. Not by Carlin though

Thanks all. Advice, humor, and snark all appreciated lol. You guys never fail! Trying to do these kids justice and hope to help teach some future great Americans from my bunch. Go Dawgs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT