ADVERTISEMENT

Asinine proposed diesel truck restrictions by the WH

PotimusWillie

B2B Caffeinated Nat’l Champion
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2009
The average trucking company pays $20,000 to $30,000 a year, per truck, on insurance alone.

Throw in idiotic climate legislation by stupid politicians who pander to the vote of ignorant voters and you crush the country.

If the legal costs for truckers since the idea of ethical behavior by lawyers was tossed to the side regarding selling and advertising for lawsuits so people can make money wasn’t enough, sure, choke the energy needed to run the trucks.

The average cost for a new diesel powered dump truck is about $250,000. Heck, let’s choke down the businesses to bankruptcy and then make them buy $400,000 electric dump trucks.

A large central government is not what we were built on or in our best interest as citizens.

We are being led to slaughter. But at least you can cross dress at an elementary school……..

I'm in the trucking business and you could possibly run a local operation with EVs but as you said, the cost per unit would be prohibitive. For example, drayage drivers that take containers to and from the railroads are generally owner operators or small companies that utilize older equipment. These guys can buy a truck for around 30 to 50k and get a decade or so use out of them. You talk about shortages at the grocery store during covid, Forcing the purchase of a 400K truck to shuttle groceries would crush the supply chain.

Next, we don't even have enough parking for the over the road trucks as it is now. That's why you see trucks parked on exit ramps and spilling out of rest areas between dark and daylight now. Can you imagine if every OTR truck had to plug in each night for an hour or 2 just to be able to run their 500 to 600 miles per day? Not to mention what the extra weight would do to the already crumbling infrastructure. I'm glad I'll be retiring before this stupidity rolls around.

The average trucking company pays $20,000 to $30,000 a year, per truck, on insurance alone.

Throw in idiotic climate legislation by stupid politicians who pander to the vote of ignorant voters and you crush the country.

If the legal costs for truckers since the idea of ethical behavior by lawyers was tossed to the side regarding selling and advertising for lawsuits so people can make money wasn’t enough, sure, choke the energy needed to run the trucks.

The average cost for a new diesel powered dump truck is about $250,000. Heck, let’s choke down the businesses to bankruptcy and then make them buy $400,000 electric dump trucks.

A large central government is not what we were built on or in our best interest as citizens.

We are being led to slaughter. But at least you can cross dress at an elementary school……..
Carbon emissions are warming the planet. That’s an issue that is very serious over the next 100 years.

Problem is: jobs, energy security, quality of life are problems right now!

Our country should be subsidizing clean energy not restricting dirty energy.

If you make clean energy cheaper than carbon, people will choose it. Restricting access to dirty energy is foolish and harmful to our country.

Reactions: PotimusWillie
I'm in the trucking business and you could possibly run a local operation with EVs but as you said, the cost per unit would be prohibitive. For example, drayage drivers that take containers to and from the railroads are generally owner operators or small companies that utilize older equipment. These guys can buy a truck for around 30 to 50k and get a decade or so use out of them. You talk about shortages at the grocery store during covid, Forcing the purchase of a 400K truck to shuttle groceries would crush the supply chain.

Next, we don't even have enough parking for the over the road trucks as it is now. That's why you see trucks parked on exit ramps and spilling out of rest areas between dark and daylight now. Can you imagine if every OTR truck had to plug in each night for an hour or 2 just to be able to run their 500 to 600 miles per day? Not to mention what the extra weight would do to the already crumbling infrastructure. I'm glad I'll be retiring before this stupidity rolls around.
None of this makes any sense to me or ever has (Biden & crew). I know there is the “climate change” argument, but that has been going on since before time and can be argued too.

And how does it work if the US goes 100% electric and the rest of the world doesn’t follow…is the world made better?

If so, by how much?

But it all does make me indeed wonder if there is colluding going on.

It all may eventually happen, but pretty dang sure we are not ready for it. It could very well be devastating (inflation, no middle class, etc).

None of this makes any sense to me or ever has (Biden & crew). I know there is the “climate change” argument, but that has been going on since before time and can be argued too.

And how does it work if the US goes 100% electric and the rest of the world doesn’t follow…is the world made better?

If so, by how much?

But it all does make me indeed wonder if there is colluding going on.

It all may eventually happen, but pretty dang sure we are not ready for it. It could very well be devastating (inflation, no middle class, etc).
I just read a glowing revue of Volvo's electric truck. Everything looks great until you see where the range between charges is about 345 kilometers (215 miles). I have drivers that run from the SE to western Canada that can legally drive up to 700 miles under the right conditions. You aren't going to find drivers that would put up with the clusterboink of trying to find charging stations and being held up for God only knows how long to charge multiple times per day. Then throw in the fact that batteries begin losing range the day you first charge them and cold weather is also a factor... Yeah, I really want a guy in -30 degrees in Minnesota running out of juice and not being able to heat his tractor.

The only way this makes sense is when viewed through the prism of political power. I have seen claims that the exhaust leaving a modern diesel truck is cleaner than the air it takes in due to the fuel after treatment systems. There really isn't a carbon emergency that hasn't already been addressed to a sustainable level. I'm all for working towards a zero emissions future but I don't think we should starve or freeze half the citizens of the U.S. to achieve cleaner cars and trucks.

I just read a glowing revue of Volvo's electric truck. Everything looks great until you see where the range between charges is about 345 kilometers (215 miles). I have drivers that run from the SE to western Canada that can legally drive up to 700 miles under the right conditions. You aren't going to find drivers that would put up with the clusterboink of trying to find charging stations and being held up for God only knows how long to charge multiple times per day. Then throw in the fact that batteries begin losing range the day you first charge them and cold weather is also a factor... Yeah, I really want a guy in -30 degrees in Minnesota running out of juice and not being able to heat his tractor.

The only way this makes sense is when viewed through the prism of political power. I have seen claims that the exhaust leaving a modern diesel truck is cleaner than the air it takes in due to the fuel after treatment systems. There really isn't a carbon emergency that hasn't already been addressed to a sustainable level. I'm all for working towards a zero emissions future but I don't think we should starve or freeze half the citizens of the U.S. to achieve cleaner cars and trucks.
Concur…..or as my Dad use like to say, “cutting off one's nose to spite one's face".

If I were a paranoid fellow, I would say they just want to “cull the herd” and take our shat. But keep telling myself that the strong always survives and I then put that nonsense out of my “hade”.

With you on wanting zero emissions, but don’t sacrifice everything to do it. Plain and simple…..again, we are just not ready.

Will be so happy when this fellow is out of office, pretty sure JFKjr will not help his situation.

Last edited:
Carbon emissions are warming the planet. That’s an issue that is very serious over the next 100 years.

If you make clean energy cheaper than carbon, people will choose it. Restricting access to dirty energy is foolish and harmful to our country.
I do not accept the premis that carbon emissions are warming the planet.

We can talk about your first sentence. God is bigger than us.

But well said about how to get to where we are going. Well said.

Reactions: TivoliDawg

We have to come up with a new clean energy strategy this electric mess is not going to work. You start building all these solar panels and wind mills to handle all of the power we use where the hell are you going to put them. Where will the people live? They take up a lot of land.

We have to come up with a new clean energy strategy this electric mess is not going to work. You start building all these solar panels and wind mills to handle all of the power we use where the hell are you going to put them. Where will the people live? They take up a lot of land.
The answer is, and has been for a long time, very clear and right in front of our faces. Nuclear power is the cleanest, least disruptive, most consistent and productive energy source available. Production standards continue to increase. Waste material continues to decrease. In fact, new nuclear plants could use fuel that was considered waste material in prior generations. Even the footprint required has decreased substantially.

Yet, California and some energy deprived European nations have shut down their nuclear capacity and working to shut down more. California has one left, and they are fighting to keep that one going longer, extending the shutdown date to 2030.

For cars, hydrogen systems hold a lot more upside than electric cars. Unless we force it on ourselves, we aren't likely to run out of hydrogen. And the emissions? Water vapor.

We are getting closer to Mr. Fusion every day.

Last edited:
We can talk about your first sentence. God is bigger than us.

But well said about how to get to where we are going. Well said.

The answer is, and has been for a long time, very clear and right in front of our faces. Nuclear power is the cleanest, least disruptive, most consistent and productive energy source available. Production standards continue to increase. Waste material continues to decrease. In fact, new nuclear plants could use fuel that was considered waste material in prior generations. Even the footprint required has decreased substantially.

Yet, California and some energy deprived European nations have shut down their nuclear capacity and working to shut down more. California has one left, and they are fighting to keep that one going longer, extending the shutdown date to 2030.

For cars, hydrogen systems hold a lot more upside than electric cars. Unless we force it on ourselves, we aren't likely to run out of hydrogen. And the emissions? Water vapor.

We are getting closer to Mr. Fusion every day.

Whatever happened to hydrogen research anyway? Haven’t heard anything about that in years.

Whatever happened to hydrogen research anyway? Haven’t heard anything about that in years.
The chairman of Toyota is among the biggest proponents of hydrogen cars. They have been making them for years. The government's role is to jump start fueling stations and to recognize and promote hydrogen as a clean energy source. Most of them right now are in SoCal, in LA and San Diego.

Unfortunately, under the Biden administration, the cost of hydrogen in the US has gone up 225% due to supply restrictions and shrinking clean energy credits. In Canada, hydrogen is cheaper than gasoline.

2024 Toyota Mirai
2024-toyota-mirai-102-65a6e22caa214.jpg

1000%

There are even small-scale reactors that can power large residential areas that are cheap, have zero chance of meltdown (i.e. they essentially stop working, in worst-case scenarios) and provide long-term uninterruptable power.

Small-scale molten salt reactors are an answer...and there are several other similar-performing techs, too.

It's maddening that a "Green Energy" admin chooses to focus on other techs (solar, wind) that are far-less mature and provide far-less "bang-for-the-kilowatt".

1000%

There are even small-scale reactors that can power large residential areas that are cheap, have zero chance of meltdown (i.e. they essentially stop working, in worst-case scenarios) and provide long-term uninterruptable power.

Small-scale molten salt reactors are an answer...and there are several other similar-performing techs, too.

It's maddening that a "Green Energy" admin chooses to focus on other techs (solar, wind) that are far-less mature and provide far-less "bang-for-the-kilowatt".
Its almost as if the real reasons for their decisions are different from what they are telling us.

I don’t believe all the climate change crap. If you look at the data and what history we know of the prior weather cycles before cars before many humans there was significant climate change. It is cyclical and the government and scientists who get government funding blame it on cars, or cow farts or humans breathing. But this shit would happen regardless. It’s the circle of weather cycles. We need to keep air pollution down but the wasted money on climate change is illogical and if only a few countries do it then even if you believe their crap it makes no difference. People mocked Herschel when he said that during the campaign but it’s true. Carbon from China Russia India etc goes in the atmosphere and we all share it. We need to do what is best for the US and our people and the economy and stop letting a few nuts change our entire economy! That why it went from global warming to cooling to change.

The chairman of Toyota is among the biggest proponents of hydrogen cars. They have been making them for years. The government's role is to jump start fueling stations and to recognize and promote hydrogen as a clean energy source. Most of them right now are in SoCal, in LA and San Diego.

Unfortunately, under the Biden administration, the cost of hydrogen in the US has gone up 225% due to supply restrictions and shrinking clean energy credits. In Canada, hydrogen is cheaper than gasoline.

2024 Toyota Mirai
Biden is trying to make China rich and destroy us.

Reactions: SLC_Dawg

New scientific studies are showing EVs cause more pollution than gas powered.

I don’t believe all the climate change crap. If you look at the data and what history we know of the prior weather cycles before cars before many humans there was significant climate change. It is cyclical and the government and scientists who get government funding blame it on cars, or cow farts or humans breathing. But this shit would happen regardless. It’s the circle of weather cycles. We need to keep air pollution down but the wasted money on climate change is illogical and if only a few countries do it then even if you believe their crap it makes no difference. People mocked Herschel when he said that during the campaign but it’s true. Carbon from China Russia India etc goes in the atmosphere and we all share it. We need to do what is best for the US and our people and the economy and stop letting a few nuts change our entire economy! That why it went from global warming to cooling to change.
Carbon emissions are definitely warming the planet, few scientists disagree about it.

That being said - your second point is my point too- we can’t ruin our own economy while other continue to pollute. So, we need to subsidize, not penalize.

Carbon emissions are definitely warming the planet, few scientists disagree about it.

That being said - your second point is my point too- we can’t ruin our own economy while other continue to pollute. So, we need to subsidize, not penalize.
What caused warming before cars?

What caused warming before cars?
There’s never been a warming this fast in recorded history. Of course, the planet is billions of years old so maybe there was before we could analyze it.

People are allowed to be conservative Republicans who also care about nature and the planet. That is part and parcel of being conservative, in fact.

There’s never been a warming this fast in recorded history. Of course, the planet is billions of years old so maybe there was before we could analyze it.

People are allowed to be conservative Republicans who also care about nature and the planet. That is part and parcel of being conservative, in fact.
I do care about nature and the planet. I'm very thankful that God has provided us with an abundant supply of "fossil fuels" for our energy consumption. We have more natural gas than we know what to do with, and it's clean. Drill, baybe, drill!

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
1000%

They don’t care when they are spending someone else’s money.

2024 Toyota Mirai
I'm not interested in the standard EV but I would buy one of these tomorrow if:

1. I could fit in the thing. 6'3" 240# knocks out some vehicles from consideration.

2. Fueling was comparable in time and availability to gas and diesel.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven

1. I could fit in the thing. 6'3" 240# knocks out some vehicles from consideration.

Frame and construction wise, the Mirai is a midsize, about as roomy as a Honda Accord. There are only 3 hydrogen models in the US (Toyota, Honda and Hyundai). I don't think you get larger, roomier vehicles until there's more widespread market penetration.

The main problem is that unless you live in Southern California, finding fuel in the US is a deal killer. Much more widespread in Canada. The government here is actually making it harder for hydrogen vehicles by restricting the supply of compressed hydrogen.

Fueling time is similar to gas and diesel.

Frame and construction wise, the Mirai is a midsize, about as roomy as a Honda Accord. There are only 3 hydrogen models in the US (Toyota, Honda and Hyundai). I don't think you get larger, roomier vehicles until there's more widespread market penetration.

The main problem is that unless you live in Southern California, finding fuel in the US is a deal killer. Much more widespread in Canada. The government here is actually making it harder for hydrogen vehicles by restricting the supply of compressed hydrogen.

Yeah, I went to the website and looked and it does appear to have a nice passenger compartment. It's a shame this technology isn't being pushed because it appears to be a workable and possibly economic solution.

Wife just got a hybrid Honda CRV-Touring. We both think it is an excellent vehicle. Had some reluctancy at first, but not after we done our homework. Glad we did it.

Could be a little small for you, unless you get in the gym & drop some lbs…. : > ).

Nonetheless, I believe Toyota has the hybrids in Highlanders and other models.

Yeah, I went to the website and looked and it does appear to have a nice passenger compartment. It's a shame this technology isn't being pushed because it appears to be a workable and possibly economic solution.
This electric car mess will not work .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT