ADVERTISEMENT

BBQ Weekend... (Brisket)

admdawg14

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2005
Since it is BBQ weekend in Athens, I figured I would try a brisket on my Kamado Joe today.
Practicing for football season.

Just put it on at 220, 1.5 hours per lb.

Anyone have any last minute tips?

Smoking a flat or whole packer? Smoke it to 202 degrees. I would focus more on the target temperature and less on the time per pound.

I have had the best results on USDA prime brisket. It is pricey, but worth the extra money. Costco sells prime full packers, but you have to trim them.

If you wrap it around the stall, use butcher paper instead of foil.

Did you go with just salt and pepper for the rub?

Good luck. I'm sure it'll turn out great.

@mercerdawg pretty much nailed it. Also just be sure to allow yourself plenty of time. Honestly if you're planning on eating it tonight, it's probably already too late the way I cooked them.

Reactions: Dawg 'n IT
I cook it until it is 203 degrees. Don't panic when you hit the stall. It will take an hour or so but internal temp will start rising again.

Reactions: Dawg 'n IT
Smoking a flat or whole packer? Smoke it to 202 degrees. I would focus more on the target temperature and less on the time per pound.

I have had the best results on USDA prime brisket. It is pricey, but worth the extra money. Costco sells prime full packers, but you have to trim them.

Bought a Choice flat cut from Costco. Rubbed yellow mustard on it, just a thin coat, covered it in Lanes Brisket Rub. Father in Law recommended it.
Let it sit like this for 12 hours before putting on smoker.

I'll give you the Report! Thanks for the advice

Yep, I do full packers on my Big Joe and never have to wrap it. It does seem to take about 12 hours to get to about 202 for a smaller one (11-12 lbs). But yeah, target temp is everything. Just maintain the 220!

Since it is BBQ weekend in Athens, I figured I would try a brisket on my Kamado Joe today.
Practicing for football season.

Just put it on at 220, 1.5 hours per lb.

Anyone have any last minute tips?
Turn the heat up to 325 and cut your time in half. Cook till internal is 200-203. Hot and Fast goes against the norm but produces the best. Just as Myron Mixon.

Brisket turned out great. Thanks for the advice.

I'd post pics if I knew how from my iPhone.

I have always used foil and I have been happy. Help me understand the butcher paper. I will give it a try but the foil worked perfectly.

I have an electric smoker and charcoal but for my brisket and ribs I use my charcoal bullet smoker and go the time and patience route!

I am always interested in different home rub recipes!

I have never cooked a bad brisket, and all my friends, local LEO Banquets, Judge's, etc use me for all their catering events.

I use a home built stick burner that is an offset with reverse flow smoke and heat.

Meat Prep: I trim out any fat that has a "hard" feel to it. Some of the fat is stiff, and some is gelatinous in the way it feels. Hard stuff needs to be taken out.

Seasonings... Plow-Boys Bovine Bold and Black pepper
injection.. Allegro's Brisket Sauce (which used to be available at my local Kroger, but I have to order it online now. I inject a bottle per large brisket 13-15lbs, and only 1/2-3/4 bottle on anything smaller. I apply a good coating of the Bovine Bold, then also a good coating of black pepper (the black pepper is on in a solid cover, and no, it will not be spicy. the beef handles the black pepper well)

Heat 315 to 335 for entire cook. Hot N Fast will never hurt a large piece of meat like brisket, butt, or shoulder.

As others have said, Cook based on internal meat temperature, not time per pound. the meat is ready when it is ready. Two pieces of meat the same exact size can be done cooking 3 hours apart. I have seen it with my own eyes.

I cook it open for the first half. this is when you are imparting the smoke flavor and getting that nice smoke ring. I wrap with heavy duty aluminum foil at 165* at the point (largest part of the brisket) At 165* I wrap with two layers of heavy duty foil (2 layers because you do not want to lose the juice that will collect as it gets done) On larger briskets, it may take 3 layers to insure you dont lose the juice.

I pull the brisket at 200* internal at the point and then put it into a cooler for a 45 min rest. After the 45 min rest, I take it out and first have a large bowl to catch the drippings that is in the foil (it will be a lot). Just stab your thermometer through the foil on the top side so the juice can not run out of the hole when you start checking for final 200* temp.

Once you catch the drippings in a bowl while un-wrapping, put the drippings bowl in the freezer while you sample and begin slicing. (this will speed up the process of separating the fat from the AusJu. When the mixture cools enough, the fat will be a white cap on top that you can easily remove with a spoon. The AusJu will be the consistency of jello or jelly and will be under the white fat cap in the bowl. Take what is left after removing the fat, and put in microwave to bring back to warm temp and pour back over the meat once sliced and in serving dish, or save for your next cook, and you can inject this in place of the "Brisket Sauce" This process will take the gritty/greasy feeling from the meat and also eliminate any possible heart burn it might would have caused. (same method for boston butts on the juice/AusJu.) The grease is what causes the heart burn that you sometimes experience in BBQ.

Slice the brisket in 1/4" slices. I always slice all of mine for catering because it yields more for serving, but by all means, separate point form flat (there is a small layer of fat between the two that you can run a long knife along and separate the two mucles that make up the full brisket), and then cube up the point (approx 1" cubes), sprinkle with more rub, then throw back on smoker for another hour or so to render out more fat, and have some "burnt ends". Hit them with a lil sweet vinegar sauce 10 mins before taking up.

Now, I do accept donations for all this knowledge that took years to develop. :)

Last edited:
I have always used foil and I have been happy. Help me understand the butcher paper. I will give it a try but the foil worked perfectly.

I have an electric smoker and charcoal but for my brisket and ribs I use my charcoal bullet smoker and go the time and patience route!

I am always interested in different home rub recipes!

Using butcher paper is supposed to help keep the bark from becoming soft while acheiving the same moisture retention as aluminum foil.

I cook it until it is 203 degrees. Don't panic when you hit the stall. It will take an hour or so but internal temp will start rising again.

Last month I had a 9lb shoulder stall at 170 for 3.5 hours (225 smoker temp). Longest wait ever but the patience paid off, as it always does. The 4 best lessons I learned when starting to legit bbq were to cook to temp, not time (so get a remote thermometer and trust it) and patience, patience and more patience

Last month I had a 9lb shoulder stall at 170 for 3.5 hours (225 smoker temp). Longest wait ever but the patience paid off, as it always does. The 4 best lessons I learned when starting to legit bbq were to cook to temp, not time (so get a remote thermometer and trust it) and patience, patience and more patience

I still use my handheld thermometer but I need to get a remote.

and remember

If you are looking you aint cooking

Reactions: dubzga
Marinate in ketchup and dales then microwave for 10 mins on medium power
+ 1 on the Dales. Recommend defrost for the slow cook

k4ho2.jpg

Reactions: studawg170 II

Great advice here, and consistent with what you'll find here: Amazon product ASIN 1607747200
Highly recommend Franklin BBQ to brush up on your skills. 45 days, get to it!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT