ADVERTISEMENT

Best Catcher in MLB history, your opinion.....

easychair

UGA LOVER
Gold Member
Jan 24, 2003
Hitting statistics are secondary for catchers; catchers biggest value to their team is in handling the pitchers, framing pitches, calling the pitches, defensive ability, dealing with a pitcher’s emotions during the game, arm strength (baserunners caught stealing is greatly affected by how well the pitcher holds the runner on base). Here’s mine:

1. Johnny Bench - .267; 389; 1376; most baseball “experts,” writers, etc, agree that JB is the best; great arm; great at handling pitchers and calling the game; 10 straight Gold Gloves.
2. Ivan Rodriguez - .296; 311; 1332; probably best arm for a catcher in baseball history; 13 Gold Gloves; some consider him the best.
3. Yogi Berra - .285: 358; 1430; probably a little underrated; great team player; fiery competitor.
4. Mike Piazza - .308; 427; 1335; probably best hitting catcher in MLB history; some accused him of taking steroids, but he vehemently denies it; admits to taking andro, which was legal until banned in 2004 ( a lot of athletes, pro and college, took andro until it was banned); since most believed MP, and he was elected to the HOF, I give him the benefit of the doubt).
5. Carlton Fisk - .269; 376; 1330; great all-around catcher.

HONORABLE MENTION: Josh Gibson ( I struggled with leaving JG off the list; some consider him the best of all-time; great majority say he was the best catcher and best hitter in the Negro League, stats unavailable); Bill Dickey; Gary Carter; Tim McCarver; Roy Campanella; Thurmon Munson; Bob Boone; Gabby Hartnett; Mickey Cochran; Joe Mauer; Ted Simmons; Javy Lopez

Last edited:
Reactions: studawg170 II
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News