ADVERTISEMENT

Big Green Egg vs Kamado Joe

amoore1022

HBTFD
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2015
I’ve been looking at BGE, Kamado Joe and Vision grills. I’m really not wanting to spend $1500 on BGE. Does anyone have a Kamado joe or Vision grill and would you recommend? Thanks y’all

I do more harm than good with this question. I have never owned a BGE or K Joe, but I have had some great food that was cooked on them. I have looked into both and I think jbrid had it right, with all the extras, K Joe is the way to go!!!!

With that being said, I have a pellet grill and a stick burner and if I have the time and energy, I enjoy my stick burner the most. I actually enjoy dealing with the fire every 30-45 minutes. LOL, I guess I never grew out of my pyro stage.

I would buy a KJoe myself. Take care and best of luck with your purchase. Tell us how your first ribs or brisket turns out!

I’ve been looking at BGE, Kamado Joe and Vision grills. I’m really not wanting to spend $1500 on BGE. Does anyone have a Kamado joe or Vision grill and would you recommend? Thanks y’all
All good products. I have two BGE’s and couldn’t be happier. I’ve never been convinced KJ is cheaper if you get a good bundled deal on BGE.

I waited 7 years and finally pulled the trigger on one and had a big joe 3 delivered last Saturday. It is big and heavy and I hope I never have to move it. With bge it feels like you are nickeled and dimed on everything. Atlanta Grill Company offers free set up in north Fulton. KJ has come along way as well.

I waited 7 years and finally pulled the trigger on one and had a big joe 3 delivered last Saturday. It is big and heavy and I hope I never have to move it. With bge it feels like you are nickeled and dimed on everything. Atlanta Grill Company offers free set up in north Fulton. KJ has come along way as well.
AGS offers setup only within a 15 mile radius. I tried to get them to come set up at my house in Decatur (29 miles away). Was told there was NO WAY that could happen, even when I offered $200. That seemed like a good deal for an extra 30 miles of driving, but what do I know.

Ended up ordering online from Denton, TX based Ceramic Grill Store (to avoid sales tax)

I love my new KJ III. They bumped up the price a bit to $1700 but it comes with a ton of accessories and the new stand is much beefier than the old one. I was just looking at a BGE in a store the other day and noticed how much nicer the new top vent is on the KJ.

I love my new KJ III. They bumped up the price a bit to $1700 but it comes with a ton of accessories and the new stand is much beefier than the old one. I was just looking at a BGE in a store the other day and noticed how much nicer the new top vent is on the KJ.
KJ has a pretty straightforward distribution policy. For the new model, the MSRP is $1699, MAP $1599.

The real going price seems to be around $1350, so if you buy from an online seller, look for a coupon code to get you there, or if you go buy in store, you should be able to “negotiate” it down to that price.

I have an egg, If I were buying now I would buy a KJ. Cooking wise, it's all the same thing. KJ has nice features the egg doesnt come standard with
I would also consider buying a rec tec bull over all komodo smokers

Kinda like comparing Yeti and RTIC. One charges a premium for the same product because of name recognition. The other is a similar (or better) product at a better price.

AGS offers setup only within a 15 mile radius. I tried to get them to come set up at my house in Decatur (29 miles away). Was told there was NO WAY that could happen, even when I offered $200. That seemed like a good deal for an extra 30 miles of driving, but what do I know.

Ended up ordering online from Denton, TX based Ceramic Grill Store (to avoid sales tax)
Find a KJ dealer close to you and pay the guy who sets them up for the store $100 to come to your house and do it for you. I did that with a BGE with the Ace Hardware guy and it was money well spent.

If not mistaken the KJ is made in China and the BGE is now made in Mexico

I bought a BGE, but the next kamado that i buy will be a Kamado Joe. Hard to pass up all of the accessories and upgrades that come with it. It truly is the better bang for your buck, although i love my BGE.

I’m in the same boat and agree with this 100%.

I have a kamado Joe. Cooked on both and there is no difference imo.

Reactions: amoore1022
Sold both of my BGEs and got KJs. It’s a better product and it’s red. Also, having a bad ass custom stick burner built. Gonna be the tits.

I think I have an outdoor cooking device problem.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT