ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Braves: How incredible the Schuerholz and AA Eras have been

fprex

Pocket Dogs - I always got a hot dog in my pocket
Gold Member
Aug 31, 2006
Another thread of Braves talk got me looking at a few things regarding the Braves recently and historically.

The Schuerholz years were unbelievable and that run of division titles was truly historic. Could've definitely used a few more World Series titles (damn you, Jim Leyritz) but that run was special.

Fast forward to the Alex Anthopoulos years and the Braves have finished 1st every year he has run the team. (this year could end that streak) He also finished 1st in his 2 years in LA's front office and his last year in Toronto giving him 9 straight division titles.

So let's put those runs into perspective to show just how special they were/are.

The years in between Schuerholz and AA were not very good and downright awful for a little while. Despite those subpar years, the Braves are the 2nd winningest MLB team since 1991.

But let's take it back through that God-awful '80s decade of futility. The Braves are the 3rd winningest MLB franchise since 1981. We're talking the years of Paul Runge, Cerone, Komminsk, Mahler, Virgil, etc.

So what the hell. Let's go back through the '70s and skip to the Braves relocation to Atlanta in 1966. The Atlanta Braves are the 5th winningest MLB team since moving to Atlanta. Do you know how much bad baseball that entails over those years?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.